Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paul Bako

Paul Bako

is having his career year, tied his season HR high today. Career OPS is .624. At some point he is going to crash and burn but I will give Dusty credit for riding the hot bat. Now the question is will he know when the worm turns.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Paul Bako

it takes catchers a bit longer to figure out how to hit

Bill Plummer finally became a fine hitter after he turned 65.

don't get me started about Sonny "King Kong" Roberto

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    is having his career year, tied his season HR high today. Career OPS is .624. At some point he is going to crash and burn but I will give Dusty credit for riding the hot bat. Now the question is will he know when the worm turns.
    The catching alternatives on this team suck. I won't hold it against Dusty if he continues to play Bako; it's not like Ross will provide anything more in the way of defense. And Ross redefines futility with the bat.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

If he can keep it up a while longer, he could be some nice trade bait by the deadline.

Bako will certainly cool off some but its not improbable that this is going to be his career year. He's a guy I root for but at the same time it would be like the Reds to extend his contract expecting him to repeat this season like they did with Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    it takes catchers a bit longer to figure out how to hit

Bill Plummer finally became a fine hitter after he turned 65.
    So there's still hope for Dane Sardinha?

Also, how does this work with your Boone theory?

(The one from back in the fastball.com days that asserted that Boones develop later. Thus, don't give up on Aaron / Bret too early.)

More specifically, let's work with Bob.

Did Bob's catcherness dominate his Booneness?

Or did his Booneness dominate his catcherness?

Maybe both Booneness and catcherness are recessive and only show up when both are present? Were granddad and dad both double recessive, while Aaron & Bret are carriers?

Lots of hypotheses to explore with this one.

don't get me started about Sonny "King Kong" Roberto
    no, please, go right ahead, with a dash of Wakamatsu sauce
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Why not Bako in his career year? We had Ross in his career year. That Krivsky must have had a magic 'Backup catcher gonna have a career year 8-ball' that told him which third catcher to pick up every year. I wonder if he left it in his desk...

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

The problem is, that this FO signs them up after one career year and then they turn back into a pumpkin. I love Bako as a backup catcher until he can no longer get down in the catcher position. He is a solid backstop and I'd assume one of the better defensive catchers and handlers of pitchers in the game, since he sporting that career .624 OPS. I mean, why else would he still be playing if he wasn't one of the best behind the plate?

With that said, I agree to ride his hot bat. Ride it as long as possible and find somewhere to dispose of Javy Valentin.

All dyslexics must untie!

How many other hitters would enjoy their career years playing in the GAB?

(Look at how "home park effect" prolonged Juan Castro's career, for instance)
    Never overlook the obvious

I'm very pleased with Bako - what a great surprise. When you look at the sum of it's parts with a team with Keppinger, Griffey, Dunn, Phillips and now Votto, EE, and Paul Backo why can we not score runs. I am one that thinks this team will get hot and get back in the race. But Bako great. That being said I'd trade him in a package with Freel, etc. if we could get something decent.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    So there's still hope for Dane Sardinha?

Also, how does this work with your Boone theory?

(The one from back in the fastball.com days that asserted that Boones develop later. Thus, don't give up on Aaron / Bret too early.)

More specifically, let's work with Bob.

Did Bob's catcherness dominate his Booneness?

Or did his Booneness dominate his catcherness?

Maybe both Booneness and catcherness are recessive and only show up when both are present? Were granddad and dad both double recessive, while Aaron & Bret are carriers?

Lots of hypotheses to explore with this one.
    Ray Boone was not a catcher--he was a 3B/SS. So he was a carrier, too.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Bako will certainly cool off some but its not improbable that this is going to be his career year. He's a guy I root for but at the same time it would be like the Reds to extend his contract expecting him to repeat this season like they did with Ross.

For one thing, we have a different general manager. He may not decide to re-sign Bako. And, for another thing, would it be such a bad idea to re-sign him? I'm not talking huge money but something reasonable for next year and perhaps an option for 2010. Unless, of course, you're satisfied with Ross and Valentin.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

This is the one veteran guy who the Reds absolutely should not trade, should not view as trade bait.

If Reds do trade Bako, who exactly catches?

Bako is good defensively, has a veteran catcher's knowledge, and is hitting. Obviously he will cool off, but he still is better than the alternatives. And he currently appears able to continue, although he has logged many catching miles.

So for those of you who are "trading Bako at the deadline" or "trading Bako while he is hot" please let us know who the Reds catcher should be. Thank you.

Trade him if you can get solid value if you are not in the race. He is a backup catcher, not a cog to a championship team. If you can get a kid with starter upside or better, you do it, even if it means Ross, Javy or who knows catching.

Turn Off Ads?