Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: change that could help

Re: change that could help

Willits really isn't a centerfielder so he'd be a compromise there. He's basically a role player with exceptional on base skills who can also play very good left field defense.

His impact wouldn't be tremendously different IMHO than Reed Johnson (though each have unique skill sets) who the Reds could've had for free.

Willits probably wouldn't take ton to acquire but the Angels probably wouldn't give him away either. Dunn for Willits would be a head scratcher.
    Last edited by jojo; 05-07-2008 at 07:53 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    So getting Willits is a better value return than a bunch of draft picks when Dunn walks at the end of the year? I'm not so sure...
    Yes, if Jocketty's window to win opens in 2009 and not 2010+...

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Pay whatever they ask as long as it's not Bruce or the two young pitchers, Willits would solve a ton of problems on this team.
    Willits would be a useful player and a definite upgrade to what's been patrolling center field so far this year. But he isn't so good as to pay a huge premium. BP pointed out in its winter annual that his walk rate and OBP suffered in the second half last year; the book on him is, he has such an extreme lack of power, pitchers can challenge him without fear. So it was becoming increasingly difficult for him to get to ball four before strike three.

Having said that, "suffered" is relative. His OBP was still .370 after the break and he plays a decent center field. So if we can forgive his total lack of power which dragged down his second-half OPS to a level we usually mock, he'd be a good fit here, if the plan is to play Bruce in right instead of center.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    So getting Willits is a better value return than a bunch of draft picks when Dunn walks at the end of the year? I'm not so sure...
    I'm certain------IMHO, the picks are much more valuable.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Reds should reacquire Dumatrait; he's shutting out the Giants through 5.

His impact wouldn't be tremendously different IMHO than Reed Johnson (though each have unique skill sets) who the Reds could've had for free.
    Johnson wanted to go to Chicago. Reds had no shot.

I imagine some changes will occur tomorrow for this road trip. I don't know what, could be nothing major, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Bailey get Arroyo's start.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Johnson wanted to go to Chicago. Reds had no shot.
    I think Johnson speaks to the market value of Willits.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I imagine some changes will occur tomorrow for this road trip. I don't know what, could be nothing major, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Bailey get Arroyo's start.
    Let's hope you're wrong (this time). I'd like to see Bailey continue in AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds View Post
    An idea I was pimping about the time everyone was opening Xmas presents
    I was pushing for Willits back when he was in double A here in Little Rock. However, like Coco Crisp in Boston, the guy is a nice luxury in reserve off the bench and the Angels have little real need to trade him.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Turn Off Ads?