Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it time to jettison Corey Patterson?

Is it time to jettison Corey Patterson?

I have grown weary of the Patterson debacle. The only way to stop the madness is to cut him. Walt Jocketty and Bob Castellini can talk about ending the losing all they want but until the cut the abscesses off the roster it will not end. Dusty Baker keeps trotting him out there so he doesn't get it, and he never will.

His current line is .191/.252/.415 and those numbers are bloated by his first week of the season his stats since then are much worse.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is it time to jettison Corey Patterson?

No.

It's time to hit him eighth, but not to cut him.

Is it April 1st already?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

He certainly serves no purpose. While he defense is better than average he is exactly what is not needed from an offensive standpoint. I wouldn't mind seeing him go but I want options other than Freel/Hairston/Hopper.

Patterson's just fine as a 5th OF who can provide great defense and some LH pop. But you just don't want him playing everyday, particularly leading off.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    His current line is .191/.252/.415 and those numbers are bloated by his first week of the season his stats since then are much worse.
    Good point they are inflated from early in the season. Patterson is still a good defensive replacement and could bat lower in the order and maybe produce.

The GM could make a point of talking to his manager about Pattersons leading off and influence a change there, simple enough.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Patterson's just fine as a 5th OF who can provide great defense and some LH pop. But you just don't want him playing everyday, particularly leading off.
    My thoughts exactly. Plus he has speed (for the bench). I think he's a solid bench player to have, but at this juncture, he shouldn't be starting daily.

Don't cut him, he's fine for the bench as a pinch runner, occasional pinch hitter or defensive sub.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Cutting him has more to do with Dusty Baker.

If Corey Patterson shall cause thee to sin, cut him, and cast him from the team: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy team members should be purged, and not that thy whole body should be cast into losing.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I really don't want to think about having anyone else patrol CF defensively for the Reds.

Patterson's the best we've seen around these parts since Mike Cameron.

Granted, Patterson should only bat 7th or 8th, but we need his glove and his range out there in CF with Griffey in RF.

I think he is okay as a 5th outfielder as a PR and defensive replacement, but the problem is Dusty's needs to bat him leadoff when he plays.

Who would you call up from AAA anyway other than Bruce? Dickerson is the only other CF down there. He has a similar game to Patteron, but got off to a really slow start in AAA. He's been coming around lately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

It's almost a bad joke that Dusty keeps running this guy out there leadoff....
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Cut him? nah he has some decent defense, get him out of the top 7 spots of the lineup..yes yes yes.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Cut him? nah he has some decent defense, get him out of the top 7 spots of the lineup..yes yes yes.
    But like others have said, when he plays, he's leading off. Dusty can't help himself.

Time to take the keys away, Dusty has had enough.

Turn Off Ads?