Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it time to jettison Corey Patterson?

Re: Is it time to jettison Corey Patterson?

Watching Freel patrol CF makes me really admire Patterson's skills. Yes, his hititng sucks, and he's at a poor fit in the order, but still, I think Patterson's defense more than makes up the difference. The effect he has on turning batted balls into outs is superb, especially when his peers are absolutely miserable at it. This team's defense is awful... Patterson is one of the only bright spots, and that's why he needs to stay.... he has a role in some capacity, even if it is as a reserve. It's not like the alternatives are such great hitters that they can make up for the lack of defensive ability.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    Watching Freel patrol CF makes me really admire Patterson's skills. Yes, his hititng sucks, and he's at a poor fit in the order, but still, I think Patterson's defense more than makes up the difference. The effect he has on turning batted balls into outs is superb, especially when his peers are absolutely miserable at it. This team's defense is awful... Patterson is one of the only bright spots, and that's why he needs to stay.... he has a role in some capacity, even if it is as a reserve. It's not like the alternatives are such great hitters that they can make up for the lack of defensive ability.
    Yup. No Jeff Keppinger saving grace in CF...

We owe him 3 mil regardless, so why cut him unless you've got a viable body to replace him? And unless Bruce is called up you've got Freel or Hopper.

You just need to borrow one of Adam Dunn's bats and have a heart to heart meeting with Baker in his office and explain to Dusty that this is the same Corey Patterson he had in Chicago, not a "new and improved" version, and maximize his talents as far as a defensive replacement in CF; but minimize his liabilities with the bat.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    We owe him 3 mil regardless, so why cut him unless you've got a viable body to replace him? And unless Bruce is called up you've got Freel or Hopper.

There's your answer: Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Yup. No Jeff Keppinger saving grace in CF...
    Is there actually a contingent of people who seriously want Keppy to play CF?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Not me--I was responding to AK's observation that there are no alternatives to Patterson that can hit while playing less adequate defense... ala Jeff Keppinger...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Not me--I was responding to AK's observation that there are no alternatives to Patterson that can hit while playing less adequate defense... ala Jeff Keppinger...
    How is Keppinger fundamentally different from Freel in this regard?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Because Freel isn't a good hitter...

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Well, yeah...if we want him to lead off he _has to_ play CF!

Right?

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Well, yeah...if we want him to lead off he _has to_ play CF!

Right?

Exactly. Or else someone kidnaps Patterson and Keppinger, makes up Keppinger to look like Patterson and then keep Patterson and release Keppinger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Corey Patterson is a necessary evil right now. He's a terrible hitter, but somebody has to cover the ground between Dunn and Griffey, and he's the best at it. He just needs to fall about seven spots in the order.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Corey Patterson is a necessary evil right now. He's a terrible hitter, but somebody has to cover the ground between Dunn and Griffey, and he's the best at it. He just needs to fall about seven spots in the order.
    I see this logic in this thread. This way of thinking lead was prevalent during Juan Castro's tenure. In all of professional baseball, you are telling me that their are not players that can be acquired that suck less than Corey Patterson? Walt Jocketty traded Kent Bottenfield and Adam Kennedy for Jim Edmonds.

Walt do something, please end the madness.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather have someone who can field and hit. But if my options are Patterson, Freel and Hopper, I'll begrudgingly take Patterson right now.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post

You just need to borrow one of Adam Dunn's bats and have a heart to heart meeting with Baker in his office and explain to Dusty that this is the same Corey Patterson he had in Chicago, not a "new and improved" version, and maximize his talents as far as a defensive replacement in CF; but minimize his liabilities with the bat.
    It doesn’t appear that the manager is doing the player, Patterson, any favors having him hit leadoff because it doesn’t look like the manager is placing the player in the best position for him to have some success.

Patterson has had some production batting down in the order, it would follow that he might be more productive for the Reds down in the order.

I don’t think that he has ever been a player to hit very well for the 1 or 2 slots in the order in the last five to six seasons.

2008 Batting #1 82 AB .195 .256 .415 .671

2007 Batting #2 197 AB .294 .316 .421 .737

2006 Batting #6 141 AB .319 .356 .468 .824
    2006 Batting #7 225 AB .280 .324 .484 .808

2005 Batting #7 74 AB .257 .295 .473 .768
    2005 Batting #1 128 AB .211 .263 .359 .622

2004 Batting #7 116 AB .319 .389 .509 .898
    2004 Batting #1 245 AB .261 .317 .486 .803
    2004 Batting #2 196 AB .260 .310 .403 .713

2003 Batting #3 152 AB .276 .315 .467 .782
    2003 Batting #6 117 AB .299 .331 .487 .818
    2003 Batting #7 19 AB .316 .316 .789 1.105

2002 Batting #1 235 AB .277 .311 .409 .720
    2002 Batting #2 176 AB .239 .287 .335 .622

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post

He's younger, shown that he can hit, and doesn't have an alter-ego that makes him go left when he should go right.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?