Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steve Phillips thinks he can fix the Reds

Re: Steve Phillips thinks he can fix the Reds

Someone needs to fix Steve Phillips.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    but unless he wants to see 5 other GMs lose their jobs as he has, none of the targets were realistic at all.
    maybe thats what he wants so he can have one of theirs.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    That sounds like a deal Krivsky would pull the trigger on if he was Yanks GM.
    actually it sounds like a deal WK would do if he were the Reds GM. Flip a rule V and a spare part for a high upside SP with some issues.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    actually it sounds like a deal WK would do if he were the Reds GM. Flip a rule V and a spare part for a high upside SP with some issues.
    Yeah but the Reds are trading pitching in that deal, not offense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I think WK got better as he went along. his biggest splash will always be Arroyo and BP, but his best moves came after the 2006 season.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Sounds like he has been spending too much time on Redszone....
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Lee was AL pitcher of the month and seems to have found it and more with a reasonable contract, Cleveland is desperate for offense but not at that cost.

The time to deal for Lee was the off-season when he was being shopped. A few here wanted him though I thought he was done as his k's and attitude had declined yearly. It seems though he decided to use his fastball more as the coaches had been asking him to do and it is working.

I was wrong about Lee but I did say I like Laffey whom I noted with his outrageous GB:FB ratio of nearly 3 would be perfect in GABP. Laffey has excelled in both Buffalo and now Cleveland, no-hitting the yanks for 5 in his first game up. I also stated Sowers should rebound and he has pitched well this year.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    Sounds like he has been spending too much time on Redszone....
    Or in "Dynasty Mode" with "Force Trades" turned on.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Phillips has been playing MVP 2005 baseball with CPU trade rejection turned to off.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I think WK got better as he went along. his biggest splash will always be Arroyo and BP, but his best moves came after the 2006 season.
    His worst ones were in that time period as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I'd rather trade Burton and Affeldt for Brandon Webb.
    Hey, that one be giving the D'Backs two players and only getting one in return; ask Arizona to add Danny Haren to the deal.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

A rather snarky take on the article from mlbtraderumors.com

Steve Phillips's Moronic Guide To The Reds

I was sent this ESPN The Magazine article, and wow, I'm just blown over with its utter stupidity. Of course, it's by Steve Phillips, so this comes as little surprise. But still, it's low, even by his standards. Hopefully you all have a good chuckle at it.

Phillips's first idea is for the Reds should call up the ChiSox and offer up Ken Griffey for Josh Fields or Carlos Quentin. Let's substitute names for a second. He thinks that the Reds should trade a 38-year-old outfielder in the final year of his contract -- who is hitting .244/.317/.378 -- for either a 25-year-old outfielder who is hitting considerably better, or a 25-year-old third baseman. Of course they should! The only problem is getting Ken Williams drunk enough to say yes.

Next on the list: unload Adam Dunn. The 28-year-old can still get on base and mash, and can be an asset to a contender. So who does he think are fitting targets? The Blue Jays for starters. What should they ask for? Adam Lind and Dustin McGowan or Shawn Marcum. All the sarcasm in the world can't fully capture the stupidity of that idea. Another target is Cleveland. What's the haul, Steve? Cliff Lee, and then one of Franklin Gutierrez, Jeremy Sowers, or Aaron Laffey. Yep. Nothing like trading your pitcher with a 0.81 ERA for a three-outcome slugger in his walk year.

For a break in the laughter, he suggests trading Bronson Arroyo and bringing up Homer Bailey. That's fine and good, especially since he doesn't name names.

Here's my personal favorite. Call up Hank Steinbrenner and completely circumvent GM Brian Cashman on this deal, because apparently Phillips thinks Steinbrenner is a raging moron who smokes PCP dipped in embalming fluid. Make him an offer he can't refuse: Jared Burton and Jeremy Affeldt for Phil Hughes. Hey, Burton has 22 strikeouts in 15.2 innings, so he must be good! Nevermind that it's a terribly small sample (he also has a 4.02 ERA in those innings). Nevermind that Burton has never had that kind of strikeout success above A ball, and that this might just be a fluke.

But no, because Phil Hughes has struggled through the season's first month, he's got to go. And as an added bonus, Joba Chamberlain can move to the rotation! Nevermind that this is the plan anyway. You can only do it if you trade Hughes for two relievers! Yes, because two relievers is absolutely a fitting price for a 21-year-old pitcher who in 2007 was rated the best pitching prospect in the game.

His final idea is to trade Ryan Freel for Scott Proctor. Eh. Not bad enough to throw around some more snark.

The crazy thing is, I remember when a team made a series of moves like this, where they gave up all the crap on their roster and turned it into an All-Star lineup. It was my team in MVP Baseball 2005. Man, we rocked. I should have made Steve Phillips the honorary GM of the team.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 05-08-2008 at 06:51 PM.

All dyslexics must untie!

Steve Phillips fixes the Reds? Wow, if it were only that easy

(Hopefully, BCast didn't read that article, or he'll be thinking to himself "how quick can I get rid of Walt and hire this Phillips fellow...he's a real go-getter!")
    Last edited by gm; 05-08-2008 at 06:51 PM.
    Never overlook the obvious

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

A Yankees blogger weighs in...

http://riverascutter.wordpress.com/2...-of-the-trade/

First things first: I know I don’t follow the NL that well, but I follow it more than the average person, for fantasy purposes if nothing else, and I don’t even know who Jared Burton is. Getting him will allow the Yankees to move Joba to the rotation? Will it make Joba’s innings limit suddenly increase by 50 innings? Because that’s why he’s not in the rotation. The Yankees have other options for the 8th inning (and sure maybe they’re not as good as Joba (few are) but they’re probably as good or better than Jared Burton). The Yankees decided not to trade Phil Hughes for Johan Santana. But sure, Hank will be happy to send him to Cincy for a couple of relievers.

Two of Phillips’ other trades:

Ken Griffey, Jr. to the White Sox for Josh Fields or Carlos Quentin. White Sox GM Ken Williams isn’t that dumb. Sure, talent wise this deal might make sense. But Griffey is old and makes a ton of money. Fields and Quentin are young and make very little and won’t make much in the near future.

Adam Dunn for Matt Cain, or Adam Lind and Dustin McGowan, or Cliff Lee and another useful player. Phillips clearly does not understand the value of youth. Maybe the Giants would be dumb enough to make this trade but I promise you no one else would be. Money Matters. Dunn is making the current market rate for a player of his ability while all the other players mentioned are on their initial deals (ie, are cheap). The fact that Phillips does not understand this simple idea is amazing (though it does explain a lot about his tenure with the Mets).

I wish the Yankees would hire Steve Phillips, maybe then he could trade Jason Giambi for Joe Saunders and then move Johnny Damon for Matt Kemp and James Loney.
    /r/reds

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    That's hillarious. The whole baseball world knows of Phillips stupidity yet ESPN still spots him a check.

Turn Off Ads?