Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Cliff Lee

Cliff Lee

Alright, as everyone knows, Lee is off to an incredible start and even won the first pitcher of the month award. He's started off well tonight, with 4 shutout innings against the Yankees.

In 5 starts, Lee has a line of:

5-0, 37 IP, 0.96 ERA
    32 K, 2 BB, 1.10 GB/FB
    .195 BAPIP, 2.6% HR/FB
    1.78 FIP, 2.79 xFIP

As you can see, it hasn't just been a string of 5 really lucky starts or anything, as his peripherals check out. I find that type of transformation incredible, even if it is over just a small sample size. Obviously, this kind of production will not keep up, but the numbers are still exceedingly strong. But it's a pretty interesting turn-around from his last season struggles that were bad enough to merit a demotion to AAA.

Personally, I have never been a big Cliff Lee fan, though he was a reasonable pitcher during 2005 and 2006. Realistically, that's where I've always seen his ceiling settling in on, but it's hard to completely ignore gaudy numbers like that (even when limited to 5 starts). So my question is, has Lee taken a big step forward at age 30, or is he ready to go back to his "middle of the rotation" norm?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cliff Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    Alright, as everyone knows, Lee is off to an incredible start and even won the first pitcher of the month award. He's started off well tonight, with 4 shutout innings against the Yankees.

In 5 starts, Lee has a line of:

5-0, 37 IP, 0.96 ERA
    32 K, 2 BB, 1.10 GB/FB
    .195 BAPIP, 2.6% HR/FB
    1.78 FIP, 2.79 xFIP

As you can see, it hasn't just been a string of 5 really lucky starts or anything, as his peripherals check out. I find that type of transformation incredible, even if it is over just a small sample size. Obviously, this kind of production will not keep up, but the numbers are still exceedingly strong. But it's a pretty interesting turn-around from his last season struggles that were bad enough to merit a demotion to AAA.

Personally, I have never been a big Cliff Lee fan, though he was a reasonable pitcher during 2005 and 2006. Realistically, that's where I've always seen his ceiling settling in on, but it's hard to completely ignore gaudy numbers like that (even when limited to 5 starts). So my question is, has Lee taken a big step forward at age 30, or is he ready to go back to his "middle of the rotation" norm?
    As "Alan Parsons" once sang, "Time keeps flowing like a river" and Lee will eventually get wet with time....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I'd rather talk about Erin Andrews, personally

Damn, well I thought for sure Volquez was going to lead the league with the lowest ERA after tonight, but I was wrong. Props to Lee shutting down the Yanks.

AK, I think he may have turned a corner. I don't think he'll be an elite pitcher, but I think it's entirely possible that he moved from a #5 type of pitcher to a #4 with a ceiling of a #3.

I don't know we managed to watch the game last night and he has some very good stuff - and not only that he could throw it. He got himself out of some real jams by mixing the fast ball with a filthy sinker. The other thing is that Shoppach may just call him a good game too.

Turn Off Ads?