Turn Off Ads?

Thread: A Question

A Question

So this is my first thread and I want to ask a simple question. Do you think that with Bailey's recent success in AAA and the amount of young pitching that the Reds organization currently has, would it be in their best interest to include bailey as a key piece in a major deal?

I’m not going to speculate on who he would be traded for or who would be packaged with him because trade speculation is for the most part stupid. Just wondering wear people stand on the issue.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A Question

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    So this is my first thread and I want to ask a simple question. Do you think that with Bailey's recent success in AAA and the amount of young pitching that the Reds organization currently has, would it be in their best interest to include bailey as a key piece in a major deal?

Iím not going to speculate on who he would be traded for or who would be packaged with him because trade speculation is for the most part stupid. Just wondering wear people stand on the issue.
    Depends on the deal.

I think there could be a good chance that it may happen just because of Jocketty's past. He is more than willing to move a prospect or two in order to grab somebody that can help the team now.

Unfortunatly the teams rotation right now is only running with 3/5 of a decent staff. Volquez and Harang are pitching like aces and Cueto is doing a good job as well. There is no immediate help in the minors that would make as big as an impact as Homer Bailey would. There are other options, but they aren't as highly touted or are not ready yet. For example, Daryl Thompson in AA.

I think that if Bailey is sent somewhere in a deal it maybe part of something to get another good starting pitcher that will have some success. It is difficult win, no matter what the offense is, when you are almost automatically out of the game 2 out of every 5 times you take the field.

I like Bailey, but I hope and believe Jocketty is all ears on possible trades.

Good question.

A lot will depend on the Reds success in the next month. If they can start winning series and get back to close to .500 by June, I think Bailey might go in a big deal to get a big time slugger, but the Reds would need to get a pitcher back, even if it is just a 3-5 type, .
    I think with Harang, Volquez and Cueto, the Reds are set 1-3, possible as good as anyone in the league, but with Bronson not getting anyone out, and Belisle and Fogg the Reds only other options, they need some depth, some one who can give a lot of innings and provide some stability. Bailey might be great, but he does not offer that right now, so he could be dealt.
    The good news is that Jocketty never gives up prime prospects without getting quality in return, so I trust Jocketty in trading a gem like Bailey.

However, if the Reds are more than 10 games under .500 by June, then there is no need to deal him. Just let him develop for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post

Iím not going to speculate on who he would be traded for or who would be packaged with him because trade speculation is for the most part stupid. Just wondering wear people stand on the issue.
    My take is that it's usually never a good idea to trade young talented pitching for anything, unless it's a glaring need.

The Reds need a big RH bat, but with no place other than CF or C to start one (and LH Bruce in AAA), I say hold out on what we've got and see what Bailey can do next year, given a full year in AAA.

That gives us an '09 rotation of:
    Harang
    Volquez
    Cueto
    Bailey
    Arroyo/Belisle/Whoever
    Last edited by jhiller21; 05-08-2008 at 02:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21 View Post
    That gives us an '09 rotation of:

Harang
    Volquez
    Cueto
    Bailey
    Arroyo/Belisle/Whoever
    I think that whoever will be Thompson. Im really high on him, which is another reason why i could consider getting all i can out of Bailey.

The only thing is, will he be ready next year? He is 22 this year, will be 23 next year. Cueto is 22 this year and has had some rough spots but overall has been very good. Can we really expect another 22 year old pitcher to come in and pitch successfully? I don't think all of our young pitches in the organization can skip a full year at AAA, even Homer Bailey has needed plenty of time there.

He is a smart kid with a level head and we can see his results in AA. But he still may need more time.

I would hold onto him for now. However, anyone could and should be moved for the right deal.

Always work to have a staff of five pitchers who can dominate at any given time. Keep Bailey and bring him up, send Belisle to long relief and send Fogg outta here.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Well, Thompson just had his first rough outing the other night. He didn't take the loss (Lutz did) but it was his first non-sharp outing this year.

6 ip / 5 h / 4 r / 4 er / 2 bb / 2 k / 1 hr / 1.45 era

I'm interested to see how he bounces back from it.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    Always work to have a staff of five pitchers who can dominate at any given time. Keep Bailey and bring him up, send Belisle to long relief and send Fogg outta here.
    *whispers "four man rotation" repetitively throughout the sun-deck*
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

I would love to see us attempt a 4-man rotation. On occasion throw a bone when the timing is right - to Belisle or Fogg, but essentially run a four man starting rotation.

I would hope that a team with eyes on payroll consistently...we'd be inclined to hold onto Bailey as a place in the immediate or next year's rotation and have eyes on discarding Arroyo when his value increases somewhat.

Then there is always that 5th spot that I'm not sold on Belisle by any means as well.

The question is this..Is a permanent 5th arm for the rotation (at a cheap price) worth more to this team than a RH slugger that would unseet Jr or Dunn?

I'd rather let both Dunn and Jr walk or trade them this year and use that money to buy a RH bat, while keeping Bailey for the rotation.

Turn Off Ads?