Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Win Win Illustrated - Hamilton and Volquez

A Win Win Illustrated - Hamilton and Volquez

Check out the MLB website. The league leader section.

On one side pictured is Hamilton, the league leader in RBI

On the other, pictured is Volquez, the league leader in strikeouts.

It's just amazing how this trade has worked out (so far) for both players and their respective teams.

I don't think it can be illustrated any better.
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A Win Win Illustrated - Hamilton and Volquez

Quote Originally Posted by JBChance View Post
    Check out the MLB website. The league leader section.

On one side pictured is Hamilton, the league leader in RBI

On the other, pictured is Volquez, the league leader in strikeouts.

It's just amazing how this trade has worked out (so far) for both players and their respective teams.

I don't think it can be illustrated any better.
    I agree that it has worked out well for the players in regards to their statistics, but I think the teams are worse than they would have been if the players hadn't been traded.

The Reds have had great pitching, even when you exclude Volquez.
    The Rangers need pitching in the worst way.

The Reds offense has been abysmal for the most part.

Who knows, though, maybe we'd be even worse off without Voltron.

Overall I'm very happy for Josh, but even happier to have Volquez. He's a very special pitcher.

Everything he throws has movement... his fastballs are cutting, sinking and moving away on lefties at 92-94. The 4-seamer is consistently at 95-97, and that makes his changeup a devastating out pitch.

A lot of people think his breaking ball isn't that great, and it isn't. But when you're throwing moving fastballs all over the plate with a nasty change it doesn't need to be.

Hamilton is great, and will most likely get better... but Volquez is the kind of pitcher you can build a rotation around, much like Aaron Harang
    Last edited by jhiller21; 05-08-2008 at 02:30 AM.

I believe I read somewhere today that Volquez now leads the NL starters in e.r.a. also. And if you factor in that his two losses were (1-0 and 2-0)........he has not given up more than 2 runs in any game, and could very well be 7-0 right now.

Quote Originally Posted by NarrowStairs View Post
    I agree that it has worked out well for the players in regards to their statistics, but I think the teams are worse than they would have been if the players hadn't been traded.

The Reds have had great pitching, even when you exclude Volquez.
    The Rangers need pitching in the worst way.

The Reds offense has been abysmal for the most part.

Who knows, though, maybe we'd be even worse off without Voltron.
    The Reds haven't had good pitching in years. If you don't have Volquez in the starting rotation this year our second best pitcher is Cueto who has had his struggles and ERA is floating around 5. We needed pitching and didn't need hitting. Worked perfectly. This would look even better if the Reds were swinging their bats the way they should.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    I believe I read somewhere today that Volquez now leads the NL starters in e.r.a. also. And if you factor in that his two losses were (1-0 and 2-0)........he has not given up more than 2 runs in any game, and could very well be 7-0 right now.
    Thats correct, 1st in majors in Ks and 2nd in majors in ERA just behind Cliff Lee.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Yes, he leads the MAJORS in k's, he leads the NL in era. But he only has ONE loss, not 2.

As for Hammy...he leads the MAJORS in rbi's, and he's second in the AL in hr's.

Great deal for both sides is an understatement. :O)

Lets not forget that we also got LHP Danny Hererra, who is currently tearing it up in AA.

I would rather had traded Adam Dunn to Texas for Volquez than Hamilton. We are going to eventually lose Dunn to FA. Hamilton would have stuck around a while longer.

The problem may be that Josh's main support system (The Narron's) were both fired by the Reds and hired by the Rangers. I don't know if this went into the thinking of this trade, but it's a possibility.

The problem the Reds are going to run into is that Griffey and Dunn will probably both be gone in the next 2 seasons. Bruce will patrol Center, but where do we go in Left and Right field. Josh would have been a great replacement for Griffey or Dunn.

I live right near Arlington and get to see Josh play all the time. He's a special talent and I hope he stays clean and has a great career.

Not Laughing

Quote Originally Posted by tommycash View Post
    Lets not forget that we also got LHP Danny Hererra, who is currently tearing it up in AA.
    If Hererra turns into anything useful at the MLB level this has to be considered a slight win for the Reds.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    ~Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by BuckU View Post
    If Hererra turns into anything useful at the MLB level this has to be considered a slight win for the Reds.
    Yes and right now he has an ERA of 0.00 in 9 AAA innings. I know it is early but he is coming along.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tommycash View Post

Actually, he's tearing it up in AAA. I believe it's around 9 scoreless ip.

I would rather had traded Adam Dunn to Texas for Volquez than Hamilton. We are going to eventually lose Dunn to FA. Hamilton would have stuck around a while longer.
    I'm sure just about every Reds fan feels that way, unfortunately Texas wouldn't have done a Edinson/Adam deal. Texas isn't dumb, they knew what they were getting in Hammy.

Very happy with how this trade turned out.

Keep in mind, Hamilton is still a risk for relapse. No such risk with Volquez (unless he somehow stops being dominant, which doesn't look like a problem).

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Actually, he's tearing it up in AAA. I believe it's around 9 scoreless ip.

I'm sure just about every Reds fan feels that way, unfortunately Texas wouldn't have done a Edinson/Adam deal. Texas isn't dumb, they knew what they were getting in Hammy.
    He did tear it up in AA and now he is tearing it up in AAA. I stated that one post above yours.

The more I see Volquez, the more I love him. It seems like he learns better than any young pitcher, and he has the stuff to complilment it.

Edinson has been amazing without amazing control. If he can get his control down he can breeze to alot of 2 or 3 hit shutouts

Edit: you would hope that he has at least a 3:1 k to walk ratio if not better
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Turn Off Ads?