Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thursday May 8th Minor League Updates

Re: Thursday May 8th Minor League Updates

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    The point was that he wasn't overly ready to contribute in the majors. Since when is that standard, being better than Patterson and Freel? The Reds' timetable should be based on what will make Bruce the best longterm player he can be, not based on a weak MLB standard.
    Define "overly ready" please.

Can you tell me how they will measure that or discern that? Bruce has already put up Votto type numbers throughout the minors, how did they ever decide that Votto "was the best longterm player he can be"? I simply don't know, perhaps you can tell me. How many knocks were there against Votto before he came up? Were they valid?

If one can measure that Bruce is equal to or greater than the current major league talent that is considered ready for MLB, then comparison judgement would be a reasonable standard in comparison. Where the latter cannot be measured or compared, if so what and how?

Standard - level of quality accepted as norm: a level of quality or excellence that is accepted as the norm or by which actual attainments are judged

Bruce already exceeds the standard for many current Reds players.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 05-08-2008 at 10:06 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Dayton is trailing 6-5 in bottom of the 6th. Devon has thus far debuted (sp?) to a tune of 1-2 w/ a walk and an RBI.

Valaika singled on a line drive to LF in his 2nd AB. He's 2-2 tonight.

Lookouts trail 5-2 after 3, though.
    Last edited by Screwball; 05-08-2008 at 09:38 PM. Reason: LF, not center

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Dayton is trailing 6-5 in bottom of the 6th. Devon has thus far debuted (sp?) to a tune of 1-2 w/ a walk and an RBI.
    Not a bad debut for him or Valaika. Good to hear.

It wouldn't surprise me if a player with the skill set of Jay Bruce would put up better numbers in the Majors. Sounds crazy but has some merit. The truly elite just push their game up another level when they are facing the best pitching. He's shown the ability to go deep in counts and right now is probably swinging at pitches he normally wouldn't because he's so much better than AAA pitching. Call up Bruce and stick him in CF. If the kid is truly an elite talent he will shine. How many stud hitters have been rushed and not turned out? I'd say it's WAY less than pitchers and usually it's because the players peripheral numbers in the minors weren't looked at enough. He's ready, IMO.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Logan Parker homered in his 1st game back in Dayton on rehab.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if a player with the skill set of Jay Bruce would put up better numbers in the Majors. Sounds crazy but has some merit. The truly elite just push their game up another level when they are facing the best pitching. He's shown the ability to go deep in counts and right now is probably swinging at pitches he normally wouldn't because he's so much better than AAA pitching. Call up Bruce and stick him in CF. If the kid is truly an elite talent he will shine. How many stud hitters have been rushed and not turned out? I'd say it's WAY less than pitchers and usually it's because the players peripheral numbers in the minors weren't looked at enough. He's ready, IMO.
    Yes Bruce has stepped up at every level along the way, and sometimes facing the better pitching they hit better, not only has he stepped up in hitting but with fielding also. The only thing stopping Bruce was a very bad decision to bring Patterson to the Reds team and to give Patterson that kind of contract when he couldn't find a job and we certainly have seen why.

They walked him in his third at bat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grande Donkey View Post
    Not a bad debut for him or Valaika. Good to hear.

Bruce is probably ready to be the best CF on our team, but at the same time, I think his lack of plate discipline will lead to more struggles than most are anticipating. I'd rather he refine his game at AAA first, but at the same time, maybe he needs to see some major league pitching to see the importance of laying off the bad pitches.
    I agree 1,000% with this.

With Michael Griffin on 1st, Valaika grounds one to the shortstop. Griffin's out at 2nd but Valaika reaches 1st safely. He's 2-3 with a walk so far, and will get one more AB.

Lookouts still trail, but Cody Strait homers to make it 6-4 after 7.

Valaika struck out swinging to end the 8th. 2-4 with a walk, HR, and RBI in his AA debut. Not bad, not bad at all.

Lookouts still behind 6-4 as we head to the bottom of the 9th.

ETA: Lookouts lost 6-4.
    Last edited by Screwball; 05-08-2008 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    Define "overly ready" please.

Can you tell me how they will measure that or discern that? Bruce has already put up Votto type numbers throughout the minors, how did they ever decide that Votto "was the best longterm player he can be"? I simply don't know, perhaps you can tell me. How many knocks were there against Votto before he came up? Were they valid?
    Votto went on a monster tear after a slow start to the season. He put together numerous very strong months before getting the call. Bruce has not done that this season. Votto played great, merited a call-up, and continued hitting. Bruce on the other hand struggled in ST, and has a medicore start to the season. Longterm that's fairly meaningless.... but right now it indicates that he still has work to do in the minors.

I'll define "overly ready" as being too good for AAA competition, as having very little to learn in the minors.

If one can measure that Bruce is equal to or greater than the current major league talent that is considered ready for MLB, then comparison judgement would be a reasonable standard in comparison. Where the latter cannot be measured or compared, if so what and how?

Standard - level of quality accepted as norm: a level of quality or excellence that is accepted as the norm or by which actual attainments are judged

Bruce already exceeds the standard for many current Reds players
    My point is that Bruce needs to be held to his own standard. He's too important to jerk around. IMO, he should come up when he has shown he's too good for the level of competition. His well documented on base issues are enough to merit more seasoning. Having better on base ability than a couple of hackers doesn't excite me. It's about allowing Bruce to be as good as he can potentially be.... not as good as Corey Patterson. I'm not arguing that he wouldn't outperform those guys right now.... I firmly believe that he could given the chance. But long term, I'd rather he crush AAA pitching before making the majors (for developmental purposes).

Votto went on a monster tear after a slow start to the season. He put together numerous very strong months before getting the call. Bruce has not done that this season. Votto played great, merited a call-up, and continued hitting. Bruce on the other hand struggled in ST, and has a medicore start to the season. Longterm that's fairly meaningless.... but right now it indicates that he still has work to do in the minors.

I'll define "overly ready" as being too good for AAA competition, as having very little to learn in the minors.

My point is that Bruce needs to be held to his own standard. He's too important to jerk around. IMO, he should come up when he has shown he's too good for the level of competition. His well documented on base issues are enough to merit more seasoning. Having better on base ability than a couple of hackers doesn't excite me. It's about allowing Bruce to be as good as he can potentially be.... not as good as Corey Patterson. I'm not arguing that he wouldn't outperform those guys right now.... I firmly believe that he could given the chance. But long term, I'd rather he crush AAA pitching before making the majors (for developmental purposes).
    Thank you

Good points.

Bruce on the other hand struggled in ST, and has a medicore start to the season.
    I'm not sure I'd call a .320/.357/.541/.898 start mediocre, but your point is well taken. His IsoD (.037) should probably significantly improve before he gets the call, but I'd really like to see a guy like Jay Bruce up with the Reds. He may not walk a ton, but he works the count, and when he gets a pitch to drive, it looks as though he just doesn't miss it.

I think we'll see Bruce called up sooner rather than later. In an interview Daugherty had with Jocketty on Tuesday, Doc asked him when Jay Bruce was going to be called up. Jocketty said (paraphrasing) it won't tomorrow or the day after, but it'll be soon. My guess is we'll see him in Cincinnati before the end of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    I'm not sure I'd call a .320/.357/.541/.898 start mediocre, but your point is well taken. His IsoD (.037) should probably significantly improve before he gets the call, but I'd really like to see a guy like Jay Bruce up with the Reds. He may not walk a ton, but he works the count, and when he gets a pitch to drive, it looks as though he just doesn't miss it.

I think we'll see Bruce called up sooner rather than later. In an interview Daugherty had with Jocketty on Tuesday, Doc asked him when Jay Bruce was going to be called up. Jocketty said (paraphrasing) it won't tomorrow or the day after, but it'll be soon. My guess is we'll see him in Cincinnati before the end of the month.
    What I mean is mediocre for him. That line is clearly not indicitive of his skill level. It's fine and all, but it's shown that he's had some fairly important plate discipline problems.

Bringing him up to Cincy could have some benefits to Bruce too, do't get me wrong. Cedric had some good points, and I mentioned earlier that is might give Bruce a chance to learn the importance of plate discipline against major league pitching. It's my personal preference to keep him in the minors for a little while to work through his flaws, but I can see why many view it as a good idea to bring him up.

Turn Off Ads?