Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BA: Daryl Thompson

BA: Daryl Thompson

BA has a subscriber article that came out today talking about the 5 most impressive prospect springs so far. They focused on guys that did not make the Top 100 last year and who have seen their status skyrocket. The five guys were Trevor Cahill, Brandon Erbe, Michael Saunders, Jeremy Hellickson, and Daryl Thompson. They basically said that while his numbers were impressive, his stuff has gotten a lot better and his fastball is now consistently at 94 with good command and maintains velocity. They talked to a scout who said he can pitch in the big leagues now and he is fast track guy. It is a pretty good article and they also talk about more positives and negatives(Past shoulder injury) about Thompson.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: BA: Daryl Thompson

Yep, he's definitely a Top 50 guy at this point. And he does throw 94 consistently (to the naysayer on the board.)
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Yep, he's definitely a Top 50 guy at this point. And he does throw 94 consistently (to the naysayer on the board.)
    Haven't seen anyone dispute that one.... just the 97 that was thrown around by me and a few others that we got from the Lookouts broadcasters.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Haven't seen anyone dispute that one.... just the 97 that was thrown around by me and a few others that we got from the Lookouts broadcasters.
    And just three days ago, per this thread: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...t=67927&page=6

Well, lets correct this real fast... he doesn't throw mid 90's. He will hit 95 once or twice a game. He works 89-93. To top that off, Thompson, despite very strong numbers last year was not a top 30 REDS prospects last year, nor was he a Top 20 REDS prospect according to John Sickels last year (not sure if he was actually ranked beyond that). Now while I don't think he came out of nowhere, I think its too early to throw him into the top 50 prospects in the game. He has good stuff, but he has a small size and last year in the FSL he pitched ok, but nothing too dazzling. I want to see more from him before tossing him up that high into rankings.
    Care to talk your way out of this one?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    And just three days ago, per this thread: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...t=67927&page=6

Care to talk your way out of this one?
    I stand by what I said. Nowhere in that article does it suggest he throws 94 all game. It does suggest that he tops out at 94 and he maintains his velocity. That shouldn't be confused with he throws 94 MPH every pitch. He doesn't. I think that what I said was spot on with what BA published today.

well Thompson says he works at "maybe 92, maybe 93"

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67191

I have listened to 6 of his starts, according to the radar gun at the stadium (which is juiced a bit) he works 88-97. So in real terms, he works from about 86-94/95. Now I doubt his fastball was in hat 86 range, but he isn't hitting 94/95 consistently.

I have listened to 6 of his starts, according to the radar gun at the stadium (which is juiced a bit) he works 88-97. So in real terms, he works from about 86-94/95. Now I doubt his fastball was in hat 86 range, but he isn't hitting 94/95 consistently.
    Yep Doug you're right. I read it wrong it says that he gets it up to 94 and maintains his velocity for 8 innings.

Still I think the main point is Thompson's stock is rising.
    Last edited by New Fever; 05-08-2008 at 06:14 PM.

What the heck is he doing still in AA?

Quote Originally Posted by New Fever View Post
    Still I think the main point is Thompson's stock is rising.
    It absolutely is. The main thing I see with scouts when I ask them about him is still a concensus 'lets see how he is doing in July/August'. There are still concerns whether or not his stuff can hold up over the long haul because of the shoulder and thats where I am at. Still, he is one of the fastest risers in all of minor league baseball.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Nice to know we might actually win "The Trade" after all.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Nice to know we might actually win "The Trade" after all.
    I don't know. The 2 other supposed "promising" pieces we got from the trade have had eerily similar injuries. That scares me.

I hope Thompson ends up being great, though.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I don't know. The 2 other supposed "promising" pieces we got from the trade have had eerily similar injuries. That scares me.
    Not to mention Royce Clayton and Brendan Harris...

Sorry, I still can't defend that deal.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Looking at the trade from the point of view of who get the better players,we easiliy win,as the Nationals got two players who play poorly and are quite expensive. We still have two players from the trade who are cheap and have much promise.

The reason the trade is hard to defend is because of the perceived value of what we got at the time of the trade. Everyone thinks we could have gotten more immediate help.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Sorry..didn't mean to hijack the thread with "The Trade" talk. Very encouraging stuff about Thompson.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Turn Off Ads?