Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Does Brandon Phillips Get a Free Pass?

Why Does Brandon Phillips Get a Free Pass?

Why is it that as soon as Dunn and Junior slump its time to get rid of them but when Phillips slumps not a word gets said?

I mean when Dunn slumps at least he still gets on, when Phillips slumps he is an automatic out. Dunn seems to be the target of so much of the media and yet when Phillips slumps and refuses to talk to the media after a good game not a word is said.

Do you think once Dunn and Junior are dealt for nothing, Brandon Phillips will quickly become the guy targeted by the media for the Reds problems?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why Does Brandon Phillips Get a Free Pass?

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    Why is it that as soon as Dunn and Junior slump its time to get rid of them but when Phillips slumps not a word gets said?

I mean when Dunn slumps at least he still gets on, when Phillips slumps he is an automatic out. Dunn seems to be the target of so much of the media and yet when Phillips slumps and refuses to talk to the media after a good game not a word is said.

Do you think once Dunn and Junior are dealt for nothing, Brandon Phillips will quickly become the guy targeted by the media for the Reds problems?

His age and ability with the glove. Smaller paycheck along with fact he is still new to major leagues. Need a 1000 more reasons?
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Phillips has been cast into the impossible role of being the right handed power balance vis Dunn and Junior.
    Batting Cleanup...no less.

He's not getting it done and IMO...he simply isn't fit for the role.

I recall a BP who could punch one through the right side regularly and was a legitimate threat on the bases.
    This "swinging from the heels at pitches at my ankles" BP, who leads the team in Ks (let's not discuss if they're bad or not) isn't helping the team at all. Sure...5 HRs, but several (like the 2 in SF) were "nothing" shots.

No free pass from me. Part of the blame goes to Mackanin (who started that cleanup nonsense) and Baker (who has made it a fixture).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Dunn seems to be the target of so much of the media and yet when Phillips slumps and refuses to talk to the media after a good game not a word is said.
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67703
    Multiple articles in the media as discussed in a 5 page thread is hardly "not a word is said"
    The reason for the quick trade them response is due to Jr's and Dunn's contract situation.
    Last edited by klw; 05-09-2008 at 06:19 AM.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

I will tell you what IMHO the reason Dunn gets most of the bashing, etc...

It really does have to do with his ability to hit with men in scoring position. Quite a few of us here follow just about every pitch. A lot of us who do recognize what Dunn does over an entire season. Those people are the minority. The casual fan (majority) most likely turns the game on when Dunn is up with two on and two out and watches him strike out.

As far as the press goes, well I don't really think much needs to be said about the level of talent this city has with their sports writers.

Dunn is a very frustrating player. I forget who said it here, but they were very correct and it helps ease the frustration if you look at it that way, and that's Dunn is an OBP guy with raw power. That was spot on...sorry I forgot who said it.....

Dunn reminds me of the kid you played with growing up that you knew was good but tried to hit home runs every time he came up.

Higher expectations, positive anticipations that are actually complimentary of a Griffey or a Dunn, but when those higher expectations or positive anticipations are disappointed, the disappointment is magnified through frustration from a form of goal blocking, then people react to that disappointment or frustration over not receiving their momentary emotional goals, especially if it happens with any degree of frequency.

With Phillips less is anticipated or expected so when he does something well in the field or at the plate that too gets magnified in his favor and his flawed moments are more readily dismissed passively. With a higher percentage of payroll going to player x or y, the greater the expectation is on those with the higher percentage of payroll going their way, versus lower players.

I don't think anyone gets a free pass or free ride, eventually.

Because he has a big smile and was a good quote last year.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I cut him more slack because of how much brings to the table defensively. He is not just in the lineup for his bat.

Now I did find it alarming (or funny in a ironic sort of way) that during a broadcast last month Jeff and Marty suggested that Brandon was struggling because he was 'trying to hard' to make up for Dunn and Griffey's lack of production. So apparently it was Dunn and Griffey's fault that Brandon wasn't hitting.

Just move him out of the cleanup spot please.

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    Just move him out of the cleanup spot please.
    If they want to hit him clean up against LHP, swell. But against RHP he needs to be hitting 7th.

I think it’s as simple as he has the perceptions of someone who hustles all the time and plays with enthusiasm. He’s much closer to Pete Rose than Dunn or Griffey.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I think it’s as simple as he has the perceptions of someone who hustles all the time and plays with enthusiasm. He’s much closer to Pete Rose than Dunn or Griffey.
    Change "Pete Rose" to "Joe Morgan" and I think you've got it.

Remember all the articles in the offseason about how Phillips' year was as good or better then anything Joe did? (of course that's nonsense, but when did that stop anyone).

Yes Arroyo and Phillips will be the new whipping boys. That's my guess.
    Perhaps EdE will take more of the heat as well. That's your overpaid pitcher, and two big hitters.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Change "Pete Rose" to "Joe Morgan" and I think you've got it.

Remember all the articles in the offseason about how Phillips' year was as good or better then anything Joe did? (of course that's nonsense, but when did that stop anyone).
    I think this is part of why Phillips gets a free pass, or maybe I should phrase it "let off easier" than Dunn or Griffey. Quite a few fans actually believe Phillips is as good as Joe Morgan because Phillips hits for a higher batting average and hit more home runs last season than Morgan ever did. Then those same fans will get frustrated at Dunn for taking a walk with a runner on 2nd base.

What's ironic is while most Reds fans are frustrated with Dunn's offensive game, I'm probably more frustrated with Phillips' offensive game than any other Reds player. Phillips' offensive game involves swinging at too much garbage, which results in him making too many outs.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Nailed it.

The contract situation, defensive ability, and experience are all secondary reasons that should be factored in as well, but IMO the hustle/effort factor is the long and short of it.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Nailed it.

The contract situation, defensive ability, and experience are all secondary reasons that should be factored in as well, but IMO the hustle/effort factor is the long and short of it.

That'll only get him so far as we can see with Freel. He's still going to have to produce to keep getting the love he's been getting. Dunn and Jr. probably won't be here to kick around anymore.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?