Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Stimulus Check

Re: Stimulus Check

Spent it on gasoline.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

I have to wait until at least July 11th. By that time all the plans I had for the money will be long forgotten and I will probably just pay a few bills.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Paid my property taxes..... which the local government, in the last year, doubled on everybody around here. When you refuse to pass their various bond issues and levies that's how they do things around here.

The people overwhelmingly voted down a watershed project this past year. But the city leaders found a way around that, and people are really upset. It's not so much about the money; but the fact that the democratic process, the voice of the people at the ballot box, can be so easily and flagrantly ignored by our illustrious leaders who say they know better.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...K.html?sid=101
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    The people overwhelmingly voted down a watershed project this past year. But the city leaders found a way around that, and people are really upset. It's not so much about the money; but the fact that the democratic process, the voice of the people at the ballot box, can be so easily and flagrantly ignored by our illustrious leaders who say they know better.
    Of course, the cynic in me feels compelled to point out that the "city leaders" were elected by means of a democractic process and charged with doing the business of the city/county. If you (as a community) don't like the decisions they make, you have no one to blame but yourselves for electing them.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    If you (as a community) don't like the decisions they make, you have no one to blame but yourselves for electing them.
    Like the USA community?

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    I have to wait until at least July 11th. By that time all the plans I had for the money will be long forgotten and I will probably just pay a few bills.

you and me both. i just hope mine makes it to me because of my move.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

I have zero faith that I will even get mine. I'm due to get around $1200 (they took my tax payment out of it), but something....SOMETHING will happen along the way. When I go to their website it says the check was to be issued by May 30th (yeah, right), and if I've not seen my check by June 26th to give them a call. Until then they can't do anything about it. Is that a BUNCH OF BALONEY or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Of course, the cynic in me feels compelled to point out that the "city leaders" were elected by means of a democractic process and charged with doing the business of the city/county.
    True. But in this particular case the issue was put onto the ballot for the people to vote on, and it was soundly thrashed. The city leaders are using... and many say misinterpreting to suit their needs.... a procedural move to try and void the people's vote.

They've been sending bills out to the people (households) to cover the project, and a vast majority of the public are making a stand and saying they have no intention of paying it.

If you (as a community) don't like the decisions they make, you have no one to blame but yourselves for electing them.
    Again true. It will be interesting this next November. We kicked a bunch of them out about 4 years ago when we had a major (and devastating) ice storm sweep through the region. It devastated several counties in this part of the state. We're talking no power for 4-5 days, no basic services, absolutely nothing. And of course the worse to get hit are the poor and elderly. Churches were setting up generators and cots to house people.

And where were our city leaders when they were needed to coordinate and take charge in this situation?

They all vacated the region, for warmer weather, for several days. They didn't last long in their elected positions. They were even afraid to be seen in public for awhile!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Paid my property taxes..... which the local government, in the last year, doubled on everybody around here. When you refuse to pass their various bond issues and levies that's how they do things around here.
    Maybe they should just put up more cameras at the intersections for public safety.

Well if you had not built that GAC palatial estate in the neighborhood and drove the property values through the roof that might not have happened. C’mon Greg we all know that you are made of money, and even have old milk cans filled with the green stuff buried in your back yard. :

Greg you could always move back to Springfield, where the state already wants them to close a brand new middle school, maybe a year old, after the taxpayers built it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    Maybe they should just put up more cameras at the intersections for public safety.

Greg you could always move back to Springfield, where the state already wants them to close a brand new middle school, maybe a year old, after the taxpayers built it.

Springfield Sucks! :

That city, it's leaders, and especially the female School Superintendent (didn't she just resign?) really have a screwed up local government and school system. My brother has three kids in elementary, middle, and high school. There's no busing, so they are running and picking up kids all over the place.

The leaders there think the people have bottomless pockets, and just tax, tax, tax. What's in the center of Springfield anymore? Not small businesses. Just banks and PLENTY of parking!

My wife got one of their Safelight traffic light fines back in Dec. I paid their silly blood money. I got a threatening letter from a law firm about three weeks ago that stated if I didn't pay the fine then legal action would be taken against me. It was not a nice letter.

I got hot.

My brother knows the director of the program. I called him.They screwed up on their end, basically dropped the ball. I told him that if it isn't immediately corrected then I will be talking to a lawyer because I don't want to be pulled over, if and when we may come to Springfield in the future, and for whatever reason, and have them arrest me or impound my car because of their screw up.

But I avoid Springfield at all costs anymore. It's an equivalent travel time, so we've been going to Dublin for the last several years to do our shopping and eating out.

What's in the center of Springfield anymore? Not small businesses. Just banks and PLENTY of parking!
    Weeds
    And plenty of parking. :

We go to Beavercreek/Fairborn.

My wife got one of their Safelight traffic light fines back in Dec. I paid their silly blood money. I got a threatening letter from a law firm about three weeks ago that stated if I didn't pay the fine then legal action would be taken against me. It was not a nice letter.
    Yeah, they will send the posse after you for a nickel.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 06-14-2008 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    Yeah, they will send the posse after you for a nickel.
    Yet be totally wasteful in many other areas.

When they built those new schools they had to have all brand new stuff to go with them. There was no common sense involved where they could possibly save the local taxpayer some money by utilizing/re-using items in which there wasn't a darn thing wrong with them. Nope - all brand new stuff! They auctioned off everything from the old schools - from computers, office supplies, misc furniture, student desks, you name it and they were giving it away.

My brother said you could buy a desk, file cabinet, shelving, and various office furniture for a few bucks each. And a practically new computer for as low as $25. Even brand new, never been opened, miscellaneous office supplies like paper, pens, pencil, etc., etc. - stuff you would normally get at Staples - giving it all away for practically nothing. He said it was insane!

Odd Lots couldn't beat the deals the masses were finding at the school clearing house sweepstakes.

Yet be totally wasteful in many other areas.

When they built those new schools they had to have all brand new stuff to go with them. There was no common sense involved where they could possibly save the local taxpayer some money by utilizing/re-using items in which there wasn't a darn thing wrong with them. Nope - all brand new stuff! They auctioned off everything from the old schools - from computers, office supplies, misc furniture, student desks, you name it and they were giving it away.

My brother said you could buy a desk, file cabinet, shelving, and various office furniture for a few bucks each. And a practically new computer for as low as $25. Even brand new, never been opened, miscellaneous office supplies like paper, pens, pencil, etc., etc. - stuff you would normally get at Staples - giving it all away for practically nothing. He said it was insane!

Odd Lots couldn't beat the deals the masses were finding at the school clearing house sweepstakes.
    Odd Lots doesn't get to use other peoples money!!

GAC,

You have to remember that whenever a local, state or federal government is selling, they receive a huge return on their dollars invested, and a very large ROI, return on investment.

Though you might say, yes, because the government doesn’t have one dime of their money invested.

Frugile, prudent, wise stewardship, a government?

Is there any talk of receiving these in 2009?
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Looks likely.

http://personalbudgeting.suite101.co...c_stimlus_2009

Economic Stimulus 2009
    A Priority for US President-Elect Obama
    © Jeffrey Donaldson

Nov 9, 2008

Everyone could use a little more money, especially in the current economic climate. But how effective is a check for every American worker toward stimulating the economy?

The goal of an economic stimulus check is to give money to individuals, who will then go out and spend the money. But how effective is a check to every American toward stimulating the economy?

Lame Duck Session
    In the few remaining weeks of this Congressional session and the Bush Administration, under consideration is a $100 billion bill which would extend help to states that have cut spending, increase food stamps, and allow extra unemployment benefits (Uchitelle & Calmes, 2008).

Democratic congressional leaders suggest the passage of two bills, one in this lame duck session, and a second larger bill after the inauguration for $150-$200 billion (Lightman, 2008).

The Effectiveness of a Stimulus
    According to the Economist, the $92 billion in tax rebates which Americans received in July led to a growth in consumer spending of 1.7%.

This growth took place even as consumers managed high gasoline prices, unemployment, and tightening credit.

Without the stimulus, consumer spending may not have grown at all (Economist, 2008).

Limitations of a Stimulus
    Macroeconomic Advisers, an economic forecasting firm, estimates that consumers spend only 30% of their checks, applying the remainder to debt or savings.

Other options include investment in infrastructure (such as roads, bridges, tunnels, etc.), assistance to state and local governments who may have to cut services to balance their budgets, and direct help for Americans through extension of unemployment, heating assistance, and food stamps.

However, the Congressional Budget Office estimates that the money for infrastructure development is generally spent at a rate of less than 30% per year, and funds given to states may also be saved by those states.

Therefore, it may be as effective to increasing consumer spending to give funds directly to the individuals (Economist, 2008).

Obama’s Stance
    Even before Barack Obama was elected president, he supported the proposed economic stimulus.

He has also suggested an “emergency energy rebate”, $500 to every worker or $1000 for every family, paid for by a tax on the oil companies.

As reported by the New York Times, the economic stimulus would require at least $200 billion dollars.

Obama’s representatives want the checks to arrive before tax returns are filed in April (Uchitelle & Calmes, 2008).

Conclusion
    An economic stimulus appears likely, as it has the support of the president-elect and the outgoing and incoming Congress. If it can stimulate consumer spending as the July stimulus did, it may have its intended effect of helping to stave off further recession.
    Let's make some noise!

Turn Off Ads?