Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Sports Talk Radio

Sports Talk Radio

I am in Columbus but listen to Doc on WLW and the Homer online. It is sad the state of Reds fans baseball knowledge. The most common suggestion I hear is to trade with Texas for Josh Hamilton. Are we serious, they AREN'T getting Josh Hamilton back! If Texas wanted Adam Dunn then he might be there but we traded Josh Hamilton not Adam Dunn, they aren't going to send Hamilton back for Adam Dunn!

I am sorry just frustrated with idiotic Reds fans.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat geek...and proud

Re: Sports Talk Radio

The people who call those shows are the lowest common denominator.

It seems to be the same people every day, too.

Please do not read too deep into this, I just wanted to see how badly I can make this team look. I have been listening to so many idiots on the radio talking about bringing in players for virtually nothing. Its my turn to be an idiot:

Baker knows Bonds, and nobody else wants him, so we offer him a contract for 1 year. (Oh no! Another lefty). Bonds would have to play 1B. He simply cannot move anymore. He brings in a big time bat (hopefully) and far less defense than Votto.

Votto moves to LF. He has played there plenty in the minors. And that leaves Dunner. Well, you know I have a deal on the table with him. We trade him and cash to the Rays for their first overall pick in the 2008 draft. We make plans to draft Pedro Alvarez.

Pedro is a stud 3B in Vanderbilt. Yet we have so much depth at that position in the minor leagues. Nothing like depth though, right? It will work itself out.

Next, I do trade Griffey to Seattle for their first round pick as well.

Hatteberg gets traded for any double A pitcher that has a bit of upside.
    Fogg is traded to Washington for Wily Mo Pena.
    Patterson and Ross are DFA.

I call it a season and call up Bruce and Bailey to furnish them for next season.

Your 2009 Reds:
    Lineup:
    CF Freel
    SS Keppinger
    1B Bonds
    LF Votto
    3B Encarnacion
    2B Phillips
    RF Bruce
    C Bako

Rotation:
    Harang
    Volquez
    Cueto
    Bailey
    Thompson

Top spects:
    Alvarez
    Frazier
    Stubbs
    Waring
    Francisco
    Maloney
    Wood
    Mesoraco
    other 2 '08 first round picks

Yeah, whatever.

You cant trade for draft picks.

I never knew that and wondered why it didn't happen. Huh, guess you learn something new every day. But as I said, I was just becoming one of the idiots from the radio, so I guess it is natural to be wrong in that sense.
    Last edited by David Cubbedge; 05-09-2008 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jt4prez View Post
    You cant trade for draft picks.
    Don't they even have a rule that a guy can't be traded in the first calendar year after he actually signs just to stop/ discourage under the table gentlemen's draft then trade agreements as a workaround to the no of trading draft picks rule?
    Last edited by jnwohio; 05-10-2008 at 12:36 AM.

Not only are the most of the fans stupid, but Doc isn't so bright himself. He keeps talking about players the Reds can afford... Well it isn't his money, and Carl Linder doesn't own this team anymore. The problem with payroll hasn't been the Adam Dunn, Ken Griffey, Francisco Cordero's it's been the Stanton, Castro, Freel, and Pattersons. They can spend big money, they just can't spend it on guys that suck! Dunn is worth his money and he is affordable, Doc just isn't a Dunn fan so he thinks it's a bad idea. I heard a caller suggest moving Votto to LF and signing Texieria and Doc dismissed the idea with saying Tex was to expensive. Well if Big Bob pays for quality players and puts a winner on the field, the stands are filled and he's making money.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    Not only are the most of the fans stupid, but Doc isn't so bright himself. He keeps talking about players the Reds can afford... Well it isn't his money, and Carl Linder doesn't own this team anymore. The problem with payroll hasn't been the Adam Dunn, Ken Griffey, Francisco Cordero's it's been the Stanton, Castro, Freel, and Pattersons. They can spend big money, they just can't spend it on guys that suck! Dunn is worth his money and he is affordable, Doc just isn't a Dunn fan so he thinks it's a bad idea. I heard a caller suggest moving Votto to LF and signing Texieria and Doc dismissed the idea with saying Tex was to expensive. Well if Big Bob pays for quality players and puts a winner on the field, the stands are filled and he's making money.
    Agree with you. I don't think Doc and a lot of the other guys would know where to start talking about the Reds if they didn't have their "small market team" mantra to cart out.

Try this on for size.... I was doing some research tonite about something else and came accross a statement that the Cincinnati and Dayton Metro areas have and are continuing to grow into each other so much that as soon as the next census (2010) they may end up being listed as a single combined metro area. The estimated population of this combined metro would be 3+ million; and, in population it would rank around 15th in size for the entire country. Even given the ballpark is pretty much at one extreme of this combined metro, it still seems to me that calling it a small market is a stretch. And this doesn't even consider that Columbus and Indy are both just 100 miles or a slight touch over from the ball park.

I think somebody who had the money up front, a "build it and they come" outlook, and who marketed to the entire region could make it work like a top tier market.
    Last edited by jnwohio; 05-10-2008 at 01:32 AM.

Unless some contending club comes a-calling at the trade deadline with a fair return for Dunn and/or Griffey, you might as well expect to ride out the season with those two and collect draft picks for them when someone signs them next season, and then be glad we're saving on their salaries.

On another note, I was reading the minor league message board on Redszone, and there are strong opinions that Darryl Thompson is one of the most improved pitching prospects in the minors and should move up into the top 50 prospects and is considered to definitely be ready for the majors soon.

Harang, Cueto, Volquez, Bailey, Thompson? Interesting. Bring up Bruce. I really think we need to figure out which quality OFers will be available in free agency after this season.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

This thread got tailspinned.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

It isn't just the callers who say stupid things. Alan Cutler on the Homer has said many times that Texas would have taken Dunner for Volquez.

THeres no way they take 1 yr of Dunn for Volquez.

Turn Off Ads?