Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Reds Game Tracker (Why Not??)

Worth The Wait

2008 Reds Game Tracker (Why Not??)

Might as well keep the tradition going...

Every year I select an arbitrary stretch of games that I believe could get the Reds "back into" the playoff race. Each year, the Reds have fallen miserably short of my (fairly modest) goals. For some reason, I actually have a tad more faith this year-- probably because we can trot out at least 3 competent starters. Anyway, for those that don't remember, here's a link to two of the past "Tracker" threads...

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58191

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34993

OK, this is the deal for 2008:

We are 14-21 and in serious danger of eliminating ourselves from any type of contention this year. Another bad week or two and we'll be OFFICIALLY toasted.

From today until JUne 16th (the day after the Red Sox series) we play 37 games in 38 days. The schedule is a nice mix of home and road, lesser-lights, top dogs, and middling opponents.

I figure if we can find ourselves at .500 on June 16th, we would have a reasonable expectation of making a decent run throughout the summer.

In order to hit this magical 36-36 record, we need to go 22-15 over the next 37 games.

It's been a colossal failure everytime I've tried it, but I say 2008 will be different! 22-15 here we come!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2008 Reds Game Tracker (Why Not??)

I admire your optimism. Wow! Only one off day between now and June 16. That day is Memorial Day. The one day most everyone could be at home to watch a game or actually be there in person.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Lets assume 90 wins is needed to take the division. Basically the Reds need to go 76-51 over their remaining 127 games in order to do it. Thats, gulp, .600 ball over the remaining 3/4ths of the season.......

It can happen. That said, I'm not so worried about how to pay for the playoff tickets. Basically we've got to hope the Reds charge like stallions AND root for misfortune on our enemies. The second part is distasteful to me.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Worth The Wait

1-1. Let's get Cueto some runs today!

I'd say there's next to no shot at getting to .500 by June 16th. However, I also don't expect any team to win more than 90 games. That's 9 over .500, meaning the Reds likely wouldn't have to get to .500 until mid-August or so to feel like they have a legit shot.

I'm more inclined to have 20-17 as the goal.
    Last edited by guttle11; 05-11-2008 at 02:01 PM.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Man Pills

I hope Walt has had his heart-to-heart talk with Bob about the reality of this team's situation. I think Walt's very politic but direct description of this season as "salvageable" says a lot--a lot more than what Wayne was giving the fans. What Walt was saying is that there's no way this team is doing anything this year, but there should be some interesting plotlines, etc. This leaves me some hope that Walt has enough pull to be honest with Bob about where this team *actually* lies in terms of contention--which is still probably a couple of seasons away, at best.

You can stow away these threads for a few years, Ed.

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    You can stow away these threads for a few years, Ed.
    Life's too short, FCB. I try to enjoy it as much as I can, as long as I can.

Worth The Wait

1-2.

Not a great start, but it's what I figured. When I made this little thread, I had my sights set on this upcoming 7 game homestand as a real opportunity to get some wins. Florida has been playing over their heads and Cleveland looks pretty average. If we ever have a chance to win 5 of 7 or something like that, this would be the time.

Worth The Wait

2-2.

Now, can we string some wins together?

That's been the real problem. No winning streak to offset the two long losing streaks.
    The team's been pretty much .500 except for about a week.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    Life's too short, FCB. I try to enjoy it as much as I can, as long as I can.
    You're right, Ed. Life IS too short. And threads like this are like counting down the days till you go to the electric chair.

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    You're right, Ed. Life IS too short. And threads like this are like counting down the days till you go to the electric chair.
    Always hoping for a reprieve from the Govenor........

Worth The Wait

3-2. Win one of these next two and we can feel good about the Marlins series.

Worth The Wait

4-2.

Will this year be the year the Tracker actually works!?!?

"So Fla Red"

Too bad the schedule maker tossed the Tribe into the Tracker this weekend although we'll miss Sabathia (as if it matters with the Tribe rotation right now). The Tribe staff will be a bit rested with 43 1/3rd of scoreless innings from their starters since last weekend. They've tossed four shutouts in the last seven games. Given up one run and three runs in two of the others. In the last 12 games the Tribe has allowed more than 4 runs once (6 runs)

Good news is Harang + Volquez + Cueto matches up with about anyone on paper and gives a fighting chance to always take 2/3 from even a top tier opponent like the Tribe. With the black hole #5 spot tomorrow, let's hope the boys find a way to tread water at 2-2 over the next four games to stay on track

Turn Off Ads?