Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will the Reds get swept at Shea?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Will the Reds get swept at Shea?

Fri: Belisle Vs. Pelfrey
    Sat: Arroyo Vs. Santana
    Sun: Cueto Vs. Perez

What do you think??

Obviously, anything can happen in a given game. I hope they don't, but these matchups don't favor the Reds, especially Fri & Sat. Each of the Mets' starters has better ERAs than that of their Reds counterpart. Interestingly, the Mets offense has been slumping pretty badly. However, the one thing that is very consistent is those Mets players get on base.

It'll be interesting as well to see if they even play these games. It's been raining all day in NY (and slated to continue this evening) and it's supposed to rain tomorrow too.

Worth The Wait

Re: Will the Reds get swept at Shea?

I'll predict we lose Fri and Sat and win Sunday--finally give Harang some runs to work with.

The Sat. game is as close to an automatic loss as it gets in MLB w/ that pitching match-up. Tonight's game is probably the one we need to "steal" if we're going to win the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    I'll predict we lose Fri and Sat and win Sunday--finally give Harang some runs to work with.

The Sat. game is as close to an automatic loss as it gets in MLB w/ that pitching match-up. Tonight's game is probably the one we need to "steal" if we're going to win the series.
    Bronson in a day game is not likely to be pretty. Though against the Mets, he hasn't faired that badly in the past handful of years. (small sample size of course).

I would say judging the matchups that the Reds could possibly take two of these games. Pelfrey has given up 15 runs in 15 innings his last three starts, and Perez is forever inconsistent. I would say our chances with them are good if the offense finds its groove.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Pelfrey and Perez have been inconsistent, although Perez could give the free-swinging Reds fits. Wait him out and he'll walk the ballpark.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

As anemic as the Mets offense has been, they're poised for a breakout and I see no reason why the Reds pitching won't help facilitate that.

And even though Pelfrey and Perez have struggled, the Reds offense (especially with their free swinging ways) may make them look like all stars.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    And even though Pelfrey and Perez have struggled, the Reds offense (especially with their free swinging ways) may make them look like all stars.
    8th in walks, and 14th in K's (in the NL), suggest that they aren't as free swinging as most think.

I haven't given up hope, but I see a high probably we will lose 2 or 3 games in this series. The first two are almost a given that we will lose (Saying that, hoping the Reds will make me eat my words).

I don't expect Belisle to make it past the 5th inning.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post

Way to go out on a limb there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Pelfry has actually pitched much worse.

And Belise is getting better each game.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I'd say this series is one that could go either way.

We won't sweep them, but we could take games 1 and 3. Of course, we could also get swept, or lose 2 of 3. If the Cueto who isn't in love with his slider shows up, and throws his changeup more, then we could easily win game 3.

Game 1, honestly a coin flip. We don't know which Belisle we're getting on the mound so far in 2008, and Pelfrey's also been inconsistent.

As for Game 2, it's very possible we could see history, in the form of a perfect game or a no-hitter. Let's root for some history, shall we?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Maybe Johan will have a sucky day

Game one is winnable. Pelfrey is inconsistent, depends on which Reds offense shows up and whether Matt gives the Reds a chance.

Game two. What can you say. Maybe Volquez could match Santana but Arroyo in a day game and this offense against Johann. Nuff said.

Game Three. Harang > Perez. Back to that offense. Is this the game they give Aaron some love?

Really, two of three is very possible. If the Reds are going to start a turnaround now would be a good time.

I'm not sure why people keep referring to Harang pitching on Sunday against Perez. He's not pitching this weekend, at least according to the probables. It's Cueto going on Sunday and Harang goes on Monday.

The Reds are capable of getting swept anywhere at any time.

I know folks like to trot out the "yeah, but anybody can get swept--it happens to all teams" stuff; I'd submit that really good teams just don't let it happen. Not teams that matter anyway.

The Red Sox, for example, would never in a million years, in a thousand series played, get swept by the Pirates. It would be impossible.

But the Reds could be swept by anyone, any number of times.

Yet another nebulous barometer of a crummy squad.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Turn Off Ads?