Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Corey Patterson Out of the Leadoff Spot

Re: Corey Patterson Out of the Leadoff Spot

This lineup has Bob Boone written all over it.

Fire Dusty
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Is Dusty batting Corey third because he thinks he's the best number three hitter on the team right now?

Of course not.

Maybe he's batting him third to get him some better pitches to see and try to shake him out of his funk. Regardless of whether you like Corey or not, Dusty may just be trying to jump start him.

Or maybe not. I certainly don't know any more than anyone else. But I sincerely doubt he thinks he's a number three hitter long term.
    Are you trying to get inside the mind of Dusty Baker!? That's dangerous!

Dusty only batted Patterson #3 because he was confused since the best pure hitters, Phillips and Griffey, were unavailable...

Is anyone actually suprised at this point? Really? Dusty Baker is capable of pretty much any of the dumbest things we can think of.

A blindfolded man throwing darts at a board, folks. Always with a ready CYA excuse, but never really a logical reason.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Good thing it got rained out. If things progressed any further, he would have pinch hit Castro for Hamilton.

My lord, Patterson batting 3rd? A beat writer's gotta, GOTTA, ask about this. If I'm an editor, and my reporter doesn't ask about this, I'm getting a new reporter.

Patterson batting third is insanity.

Can anyone name the worst ever 3 hole hitter? Not saying Patterson's the worst, just saying I'd like to know if there is one worse.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post

Maybe he's batting him third to get him some better pitches to see and try to shake him out of his funk. Regardless of whether you like Corey or not, Dusty may just be trying to jump start him.
    The one problem with this theroy is that Corey Patterson doesn't get much better then he is now
    Go Gators!

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red View Post
    Good thing it got rained out. If things progressed any further, he would have pinch hit Castro for Hamilton.
    I thought that was just a bad dream, but that actually did happen, didn't it?

Even worse, I was physically at that game, while on vacation to the west coast, sipping craft beer in the RF bleachers on a beautiful sunny afternoon.

Mind boggling. Hamilton had actually hit a home run earlier in that game, and Castro fittingly struck out. I think that was the beginning of the end for Jerry.
    sorry we're boring

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

On June 20, 2007 Jerry Narron had Juan Castro pinch-hit for Josh Hamilton in a 5-3 loss to the Oakland A's.

Hamilton had homered earlier in the game and was 1-2 with a walk.

It was Juan Castro's birthday, but I still will never forget this.

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    This is exactly how he managed the Cubs. He will do what his "gut" tells him, and if it tells him to bat one of the worst offensive players in all of baseball third, then he will do it, even when all objective and statistical evidence confirms that it is a horrible idea. Just wait until his gut tells him to let Cueto or Volquez throw 130+ pitches.
    I'm still not pleased with his sending Volquez out for the 7th inning with a 9-0 lead when he had already thrown 105 pitches ... it was just dumb.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I'm still not pleased with his sending Volquez out for the 7th inning with a 9-0 lead when he had already thrown 105 pitches ... it was just dumb.
    I agree he shouldn't have been sent out, but I thought Volquez was sitting on 94 pitches.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    On June 20, 2007 Jerry Narron had Juan Castro pinch-hit for Josh Hamilton in a 5-3 loss to the Oakland A's.

Hamilton had homered earlier in the game and was 1-2 with a walk.

It was Juan Castro's birthday, but I still will never forget this.
    That was the final straw for Jerry Narron....it was official at that point that he was no longer capable of handling the responsibilities of the job he was asked to do.

As soon as he did it, I basically told myself, "That's it. He's gone."

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I agree he shouldn't have been sent out, but I thought Volquez was sitting on 94 pitches.
    Actually he wasn't...he was hitting 95-96

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    That was the final straw for Jerry Narron....it was official at that point that he was no longer capable of handling the responsibilities of the job he was asked to do.

As soon as he did it, I basically told myself, "That's it. He's gone."
    So, how about Baker now?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Actually he wasn't...he was hitting 95-96
    No, he had thrown 94 pitches through the 6th.

...Baker isn't going anywhere.

Baker has a track record of success (1100+ wins is pretty nice).

Plus, that silly lineup never saw the field

Turn Off Ads?