Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weird eating habits

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Weird eating habits

Confession time here. Do you have any eating habits that others would consider just a little weird? Foods you like, foods you don't like, ways you eat certain foods, etc. I have a few that I'm not ashamed to put here because people who know me well already know them anyway.

1. I can't stand "sloppy" food. That includes just about everything Italian and Mexican. I don't go for any of the pasta and sauce type things. I can't stand pizza, spaghetti, lasagna, any soups, etc. I want a piece of meat, a vegetable, and maybe some bread with my meal, but I want them separate.

2. Somewhat related to the above, and maybe this is something that carries over from childhood, I don't want any mingling of different food juices happening on my plate. If my steak is juicy, I don't want those juices getting on my potato or my vegetable. I'm the guy at the restaurant with things in separate dishes. Waiters love me.

3. When eating mixed nuts, it kind of ticks me off that there are more of some nuts than others, so I will try to even things out as I go. By the time I get toward the end of the can, each nut is equally represented and I get to finish the can with some of everything.

4. I really like brussels sprouts.

5. I like meat and I like bread. I just don't like them together. Hot dogs, burgers, brats...all are eaten plain without bread. I will eat ham salad on bread, but that's about it.

Ok, now that I've established myself as some kind of freak, let's see if anyone else can top me, or at least come close.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Weird eating habits

I eat one thing at a time. I don't take a bite of this and a bite of that, I have to finish one item before I move on to the next.

I also have to chew each bite 30 times. This was something that was ingrained into me in childhood, and I could never escape.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I eat one thing at a time. I don't take a bite of this and a bite of that, I have to finish one item before I move on to the next.
    Me too. It's really annoying. To add to it though, usually I start with the bad stuff, that way I have something to look forward too.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    Me too. It's really annoying. To add to it though, usually I start with the bad stuff, that way I have something to look forward too.
    Same here. The only problem with that has been when I'm struggling to get through the bad stuff and then the good stuff is cold by the time I get to it.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

On the brink of disaster

How many people here eat a peanut butter and honey sandwich with your chili? It's a staple where I'm from (Adams County), but people here in Cincy look at me like I'm crazy and it's less than 50 miles away from where I'm from. It's not Cincinnati Chili I eat it with, it's a tomato based chili. Dipping it in the chili is awesome. Oh, and I also eat one thing at a time, unless I think about it and consciously try to change it.

Same here. I forgot to put that on my list, probably because I don't see it as weird. I always start with the meat and move on to the side dishes.

I eat yellow rice with taco shells.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

At home I eat five times a day. Two breakfasts (fruit and then later maybe cereal), light lunch, afternoon snack and light dinner/snack. I've actually dropped some pounds doing this.

As for weird...I cut my salad. I chop into into little pieces and mix it up with the dressing. Get strange looks sometimes in restaurants.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I eat one thing at a time.
    Same here, although with the passage of time from a six-year-old to a *coughfortysomethingcough* it's become just a habit, not a compulsion. When I catch myself doing it I'll take a couple of bites of something else just because. I also had the "foods can't touch" thing going on as a kid; likewise, that has improved with time.

Otherwise, I'm still what I would consider a picky eater -- by the time I add up the things I don't like and all the derivations thereof that I would turn down, I'm way disqualified from ever being considered a foodie. But mostly, when the subject of me and food comes up within my family, the overriding theme is the sheer quantities (relative to my size) I could put away when I was younger.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

When I have a plate of breakfast food, whether that includes waffles/pancakes or not, I generally put syrup over everything that isn't fruit. Eggs, sausage, hash browns...topped off with syrup.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    At home I eat five times a day. Two breakfasts (fruit and then later maybe cereal), light lunch, afternoon snack and light dinner/snack. I've actually dropped some pounds doing this.
    Are you a Hobbit?

I swish soda around in my mouth and chew it before swallowing it. Gets some weird looks from my friends.

I put ketchup on my steak (sin!) because I don't like steak much.

I don't like lunch meats, mayonaise, or salad dressings. Sometimes I eat plain salad without dressing on it.

ORH, I'm kinda the opposite of you; I prefer the sloppy foods. Get me some good Italian pasta anyday...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Sometimes I eat plain salad without dressing on it.
    Same here. I can't stand salad dressing.

I love to spread Mirical Whip on white bread and eat it plain.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I swish soda around in my mouth and chew it before swallowing it. Gets some weird looks from my friends.
    How do you chew a liquid?

I like beef liver w/onions.

One of my favorite quickie snacks is a bologna sandwich w/ peanut butter, cheese, and potato chips all in the sandwich. Been eating them since high school.

I like jello in a bowl w/milk.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?