It was an interesting game with a sad outcome. Naturally, my comments aren't really positive. Weather was great. Gotta love the Mets fans who come up and say that Cueto was a flash in the pan and that they think Volquez will be too. The environment is always fun, especially in the upper deck. Everything is so dramatic. Every pitch is one step away from a breakdown, even when the Mets have huge leads!
On to the comments...
* I'm sorry, but I don't have any faith in Belisle. I know he was facing a tough lineup, but he looked way too hittable on every pitch. He wasn't fooling anyone up there. The error that he committed on his throw was very costly and helped to put the game out of reach. It's all about damage control. Pitchers will always be challenged, especially when they don't have their best stuff. But good pitchers exert damage control, and that's what Santana did. He got the big outs when he needed them and kept his team in the game, despite giving up a lot of hits. I don't blame Belisle soley, I blame Dusty too, which I'll get to later.
* Patterson needs to benched, regardless of his defense. He looked like Ryan Freel on the base pads out there. A caught stealing and a pickoff in the same game is unacceptable. That certainly hurt the Reds chances of scoring, especially in the 1st.
* Ross...the dude looks lost at the plate. I know he had a hit and I guess with a double header, I'd rather see Ross catch 1 of the games than Javy, but he needs help. Badly.
* Affeldt looks really really good. He was hitting 95 on the gun in the park and he was fooling people. I know some people wern't in favor of him initially and while he wouldn't make a good starting pitcher, I do think he's a good reliever. At least he sure looked it.
* Dusty...I've been more patient than others...but he left Belisle out there too long. I know, there's a double header. But that doesn't mean you should concede the game, especially when it's close. If he yanks Belisle an inning earlier, it may have been a different ball game. Why is it when a Cubs pitchers gives up 3 runs, Lou fires up the bullpen. Or in Rich Hill's case, not even 3 runs, just a bunch of walks? Damage control. It's all about damage control.