Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The Blue Jays as a trading partner

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

The Blue Jays as a trading partner

I look at the Jays and see an all right-handed outfield (Stewart/Wells/Rios), and a smattering of no-pop and/or declining lefties at the 1B/DH spots (Stairs, Overbay, Wilkerson).

We have Ken Griffey Jr. who (if he waives his no trade) can be had for a small deal. We also have Adam Dunn, who I would prefer to resign, but who could be had for a larger deal.

The Jays also have a guy in the minors in David Purcey, who I can see as a legit #3 starter or better for a National League club. While he's 26, he's 6 for 6 in quality starts in the international league, has a 1.85 ERA, a whip under 1, and strikes out more than a batter per inning.

Questions:

1. Would Griffey waive his no-trade to go to Toronto and take a shot at putting a hurt on the Steinbrenners? (particularly if Toronto agreed to pick up his '09 option)?

2. Is Purcey available for Griffey and a B- prospect or two?

3. If not, can you envision a trade for Dunn that makes sense for both teams.

4. Are there other viable targets in the Jays that are reasonably available

The way I'd see this working is we put Purcey in the rotation, slot Arroyo in middle relief, mostly against righties where he can actually be useful, and bring up Jay Bruce to play RF.

I realize the offense is struggling now, but it wouldn't hurt to have more pitching in the long term. Unless the Reds get good really fast, Griffey won't be around when they're good.... That sounded a little Yogi Berra, but I think you know what I mean.
    Stick to your guns.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Blue Jays as a trading partner

Nice post, CC.

I'll take Alex Rios off their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Nice post, CC.

I'll take Alex Rios off their hands.
    Thanks. I talked to Keith Law at the winter meetings in 2003 (when he was still with the Blue Jays) and mused about whether the Jays would ever consider a theoretical Rios-for-BJ Upton trade (Upton was then the highest-regarded prospect in the game among many scouts). He said they wouldn't have done it. That's how highly they thought of Rios. I think those feelings about him still linger... as good as he's been, I think they think he'll turn into Miguel Cabrera offensively one day.

I know you're kidding, but unless things have changed, there's probably few players in baseball for whom they'd trade Rios.
    Stick to your guns.

Also, not to mention, I just checked his wiki page and came across this little nugget: Rios has agreed to a six-year contract extension with the Blue Jays through 2014 for $64 million. It also has an option for 2015 that would make the deal $77.5 million. (Filed under 2008 season, FYI)

They've made quite a commitment to him.

BTW: If Bruce progresses like we all hope and expect he will, I'd love to see a similar deal for him a couple years from now.

Vernon Wells just went down with something on a dive. Looked like something with his glove arm. Don't know how serious, but maybe they could use an outfielder.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    1. Would Griffey waive his no-trade to go to Toronto and take a shot at putting a hurt on the Steinbrenners? (particularly if Toronto agreed to pick up his '09 option)?
    I don't know the man, but I'd have to guess not. Toronto is much improved, but you're still looking at long odds to ever see post season play when you've got the Red Sox and the Yankees on the top of the division.

Though, If I were a player being traded to the Jays and looking to sign a short-term (1-3 year) deal, I'd think long and hard about asking to be paid in Canadian instead of Greenbacks.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Junior Griffey told USA Today he expects the Reds to ask him to waive his no-trade clause after he hits his 600th homer. But an official of one club that would like to upgrade its outfield is skeptical that there's a real fit for Griffey -- even in Seattle -- because of contract issues.

"The option year [at $16.5 million for 2009] is going to be a big issue," he said. "You know he's going to want that option picked up if he's going to waive that clause. I would assume that if it's a team he wants to go to, he would waive it, if it's a team that puts him in a position to win. But I'm not sure there's a team out there, that fits all his criteria, that would pick up that option."
    I expect it will be difficult to trade Junior for precisely this reason. I don't think any team will want to pick up his 2009 option. He might be willing to waive the 2009 option, but it is a long shot at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Though, If I were a player being traded to the Jays and looking to sign a short-term (1-3 year) deal, I'd think long and hard about asking to be paid in Canadian instead of Greenbacks.

I believe players have to be paid in American dollars. That's a big reason why TOR and MON were hurting in the late 90s early 00s. Their attendance revenue was in Canadian dollars but they had to pay their players in US dollars. There was a time that the Canadian dollar was worth about $.75. Now they are living high off the hog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

The Blue Jays acquired Kevin Mench and Brad Wilkerson today. Not sure if they're still in the market for a bat, particularly an OF.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    The Blue Jays acquired Kevin Mench and Brad Wilkerson today. Not sure if they're still in the market for a bat, particularly an OF.
    I was aware of those signings when I started the thread. Both - esp. Wilkerson - are guys I felt were underappreciated earlier in their careers. I think they're bench or platoon fodder now. I don't see how Wilkerson, who got cut by the Mariners, is going to be the key lefty bat that the Jays need.
    Stick to your guns.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Brad Wilkerson has always been a guy I've wanted to see in a Reds uniform, either patrolling the OF, or playing 1B.

It'd never happen, but send 'em Griffey for Wilkerson.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I was aware of those signings when I started the thread. Both - esp. Wilkerson - are guys I felt were underappreciated earlier in their careers. I think they're bench or platoon fodder now. I don't see how Wilkerson, who got cut by the Mariners, is going to be the key lefty bat that the Jays need.
    I'm not sure how willing they are to try to make a serious attempt to compete this season, or how willing they should be. I think their pitching is for real, but I also think they're in a division with 3 teams who simply have more overall talent plus the ability to still acquire more.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red View Post
    Vernon Wells just went down with something on a dive. Looked like something with his glove arm. Don't know how serious, but maybe they could use an outfielder.
    Just heard on the Fox game, it's a fractured wrist, out 6-8 weeks.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    I'm not sure how willing they are to try to make a serious attempt to compete this season, or how willing they should be. I think their pitching is for real, but I also think they're in a division with 3 teams who simply have more overall talent plus the ability to still acquire more.
    I haven't heard a specific report that Ricciardi's job is in jeopardy, but I think he's probably feeling some pressure now that the Rays are about to surpass them in the division hierarchy.

They're 5 games out of the wild card. They have a pythagorean record over .500. The Yankees are in a down year. They have a rotation with 5 guys who are good enough that David Purcey is stuck in the minors.

If Ricciardi is half the supra genius he claims to be, it's time for him to make a move this year and get serious about the offense.
    Stick to your guns.

Turn Off Ads?