Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "You're making us nervous."

Re: "You're making us nervous."

I think she was hitting on you ORH.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Here's the thing that gets me. Those of you who have met me know how threatening I appear. Here's the van I drive. Does this look like a suspicious vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Here's the thing that gets me. Those of you who have met me know how threatening I appear. Here's the van I drive. Does this look like a suspicious vehicle?

It looks like a government stakeout vehicle.

You just blew your cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    It looks like a government stakeout vehicle.

You just blew your cover.
    Should have told her that.

"Well, ma'am, actually I work for the Division of Homeland Security and we had specific intelligence that indicated this park is being used by terrorists. I have been stationed here to do some surveillance work and keep an eye on the supposed terrorists."

I bet she would have cleared out of the park and left you alone.

How is it her fault that she HAS to watch Nancy Grace on TRU tv every night?

You are a true jerk ORH!
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Maybe those people had previous experiences that caused them to be overly sensitive that we don't know about.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    Maybe those people had previous experiences that caused them to be overly sensitive that we don't know about.
    If they are indeed that sensitive, they should have left the park themselves rather than trying to force ORH to leave.

nm
    Last edited by Deepred05; 05-12-2008 at 03:07 AM.

I maybe could have understood if you were driving this:

But yeah, she is crazy, and you had every right to be there. Don't back down in situations like this, it just encourages the nutters.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Don't back down? I understand what you're saying, but stuff like this is sensitive.

Is it worth the time to possibly even have to talk to the police about why you're there? There's something to be said about picking your battles.

I dunno.. did anyone see the movie "The Brothers Soloman"? Kinda reminds me of the scene in there where they are sitting at the park where kids are playing...

As someone pointed out, I think its more a perceived fear with every kidnapping being brought to you via Nancy Grace, etc. that someone would be in this mindframe. I think its rediculous ORH, but is it worth the fight? In my mind, I dont even want to bother with authorities in the first place, I'd tell this lady to go shove it but then promptly be on my way. I couldn't imagine that being questioned like I was on dateline NBC's "to catch a predator" by the police would be anyone's idea of fun. So I'd think the less time I even spend putting myself in that potential situation, the better.. at least to me. Not that it makes it right, just.. not a battle worth fighting, especially if I'm on the move anyway.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    Don't back down? I understand what you're saying, but stuff like this is sensitive.

Is it worth the time to possibly even have to talk to the police about why you're there? There's something to be said about picking your battles.

I dunno.. did anyone see the movie "The Brothers Soloman"? Kinda reminds me of the scene in there where they are sitting at the park where kids are playing...

As someone pointed out, I think its more a perceived fear with every kidnapping being brought to you via Nancy Grace, etc. that someone would be in this mindframe. I think its rediculous ORH, but is it worth the fight? In my mind, I dont even want to bother with authorities in the first place, I'd tell this lady to go shove it but then promptly be on my way. I couldn't imagine that being questioned like I was on dateline NBC's "to catch a predator" by the police would be anyone's idea of fun. So I'd think the less time I even spend putting myself in that potential situation, the better.. at least to me. Not that it makes it right, just.. not a battle worth fighting, especially if I'm on the move anyway.
    Why would you want to make yourself look guilty?

Who cares about talking to the police for 30 seconds? They'll realize she's a complete whack job after about 10 seconds.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

For the record, I didn't leave right away. I stayed until I was ready to leave. I've sat in many parks all over the country and this is the first time anything like this happened. That's one of the reasons I chose to drive a van instead of a larger truck. I like the freedom of being able to hang out at places other than truck stops. It makes a layover more enjoyable and I'm not about to let some overly paranoid person steal that from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    A person with common sense who's "6th sense" was bothering them would have simply said, "hey kids lets go over there" and moved away from the area/person that was giving them the heeby-jeebies and put some distance between them.
    That's what I would have done. If creepy ORH still gave me the heebies jeebies, I'd bribe the kids into leaving the park to go get an ice cream cone or something.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    That's what I would have done. If creepy ORH still gave me the heebies jeebies, I'd bribe the kids into leaving the park to go get an ice cream cone or something.
    I understand just moving--if you're not feeling confrontational or whatever. The best solution, however, is to go about your business while the other person goes about his. IMO.

This country is a lot less dangerous than most other countries.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

It's a free country. You've got every right to be there. Depending on my mood, I'd either engage her in a conversation to show her I'm not a nut-job or just tell her to go ahead and call the cops if she is so daggone nervous.

There certainly have been times when we've taken our kids to the park, on a picnic, to the skating rink, etc etc and something about the situation hasn't smelled right. But that's when I revert to German Shepard mode and keep an extremely vigilant eye on the kids and the situation and make it plainly obvious there is a large and capable man watching what's going on.

Most of the time its just my over-active imagination but I'd rather be safe than sorry. If I would truly suspect someone is up to no good, I'd call a cop. The only time I actually have called the cops (actually went to police station) was when we were in Florida and some perv was trying to take phone camera pictures of my daughters trying on bathing suits in a beach shop.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?