Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "You're making us nervous."

Re: "You're making us nervous."

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    It's a free country. You've got every right to be there. Depending on my mood, I'd either engage her in a conversation to show her I'm not a nut-job or just tell her to go ahead and call the cops if she is so daggone nervous.

There certainly have been times when we've taken our kids to the park, on a picnic, to the skating rink, etc etc and something about the situation hasn't smelled right. But that's when I revert to German Shepard mode and keep an extremely vigilant eye on the kids and the situation and make it plainly obvious there is a large and capable man watching what's going on.

Most of the time its just my over-active imagination but I'd rather be safe than sorry. If I would truly suspect someone is up to no good, I'd call a cop. The only time I actually have called the cops (actually went to police station) was when we were in Florida and some perv was trying to take phone camera pictures of my daughters trying on bathing suits in a beach shop.
    This is exactly how it should be.

There is a lot to be said for watching your own children. I hate the people who are overly sensitive about safety. For your children, I understand worrying constantly even though I have none. I can't imagine what it would be like to constantly worry about their safety, but there is a point at which you have to understand you are being overly protective. How many children are kidnapped or lured by kidnappers when their parents are paying any attention at all. I would say close to none.

So, I'm not allowed to enjoy a day at a park because I don't have any children? Thats just as discrimitive as thinking all people of middle eastern appearance are terrorists.

I'm not saying you shouldn't keep an eye out for things that might be indicators of something criminal. I'm just saying that when you get that bad feeling, you avoid any contact with that person, and you have the responsibility of getting you kids away from what you feel as a threat, not taking it upon yourself to decide who is a bad person and immediately assume you are in the right. Those are the people who drive me nuts. The ones who assume they are right, and if they aren't you shouldn't have been there anyway. Luckily, there are few people out there who act this irrational, but everyone knows somebody like that.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    This is exactly how it should be.

There is a lot to be said for watching your own children. I hate the people who are overly sensitive about safety. For your children, I understand worrying constantly even though I have none. I can't imagine what it would be like to constantly worry about their safety, but there is a point at which you have to understand you are being overly protective. How many children are kidnapped or lured by kidnappers when their parents are paying any attention at all. I would say close to none.

So, I'm not allowed to enjoy a day at a park because I don't have any children? Thats just as discrimitive as thinking all people of middle eastern appearance are terrorists.

I'm not saying you shouldn't keep an eye out for things that might be indicators of something criminal. I'm just saying that when you get that bad feeling, you avoid any contact with that person, and you have the responsibility of getting you kids away from what you feel as a threat, not taking it upon yourself to decide who is a bad person and immediately assume you are in the right. Those are the people who drive me nuts. The ones who assume they are right, and if they aren't you shouldn't have been there anyway. Luckily, there are few people out there who act this irrational, but everyone knows somebody like that.
    Great post.

Even though I am a parent, I deeply dislike how some folks treat others without children like second-class citizens. It's definitely a phenomenon in this country, and it sickens me.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

you should have asked her if she wanted some candy.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

If I'm the parents, I watch you like a hawk, just as I would watch everyone.

Never in a million years would I walk up and tell you I thought you were suspicious.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

This news story made me think of this thread.

Suspicious incident on-board MBTA bus resolved

Boston, MA (WBZ Newsroom) -- Transit police have identified the man seen with a young girl on-board a bus at Sullivan Station Sunday night.

Officers have met with both the young girl, and the family member who was with her on the bus.

A passenger noticed a man holding the child's hand. That passenger says she overheard the girl say she was hungry, and the man told her to "Please be quiet."

T police say there was no criminal conduct. They consider the case closed.
    The man (pictured, with the girl) was a "family member," probably the father but maybe a different relative. He held his daughter's hand on the bus and told her to be quiet when she was complaining about being hungry. For this, he's investigated. The blogger who discussed this story said apparently the guy was guilty of "parenting while male."
    /r/reds

Hmm... do you have a "pedosmile"?

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse....=spot_the_pedo

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Here's the van I drive. Does this look like a suspicious vehicle?
    Well, it is a pretty non-descript vehicle and it doesn't really look "commercial" at all. It would definantly raise my threat assessment level from blue to red if I saw a male sitting behind the wheel, in an area with full view of a kiddies water park, while he had the engine running. Especially for the time frame you are alluding to. Just saying...
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I would have said, "Well, call a police officer, maam."

Push the issue. You have every right on earth to do what you were doing.
    Not a bad idea. Either she would have been embarassed and left or the police officer would have taken a field card with your info and everything would have been ok.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    Not a bad idea. Either she would have been embarassed and left or the police officer would have taken a field card with your info and everything would have been ok.

Or he could have gone all Barney Fife on him because he resembles one of the wanted posters they have back at the station or because he thought he may have been what that woman thought he was. Everybody's so skittish these days so involving a cop may not have the benefits you would think it has.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2 View Post
    Well, it is a pretty non-descript vehicle and it doesn't really look "commercial" at all.
    That's pretty funny considering that most of the Sprinters sold are for commercial use. Sure, I use it as my personal vehicle while I'm home, but not many folks buy these for strictly personal use. I saw one converted to a small RV the other day though.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    That's pretty funny considering that most of the Sprinters sold are for commercial use. Sure, I use it as my personal vehicle while I'm home, but not many folks buy these for strictly personal use. I saw one converted to a small RV the other day though.
    I think the point is though, ORH, that most people who are not in your line of work expect to see some kind of identification on a commercial truck: a company name, "How is my driving?" sticker, etc.

I'm not saying it was appropriate for the woman to approach you (it wasn't), but I suppose I can see it raising an eyebrow or two.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I think the point is though, ORH, that most people who are not in your line of work expect to see some kind of identification on a commercial truck: a company name, "How is my driving?" sticker, etc.
    I think putting the word "Surveillance" as large as possible on the side panels would cut down on questions about why ORH is in the park.
    /r/reds

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post

I'm not saying it was appropriate for the woman to approach you (it wasn't), but I suppose I can see it raising an eyebrow or two.
    Actually, I have magnetic signs on the side with my name, MC and DOT numbers, and my phone number. That photo was taken right after I bought the van last year when I didn't have those signs. This van is identified as a commercial vehicle rather clearly.

My guess it was the sitting in the van part that weirded the women. Had you been in a lawn chair, reading a book, they probably wouldn't have had the same reaction. Staying inside the van while it's running (I assume you've got to keep it running to work the a/c), probably came across as overly furtive behavior to them.

The commercial ID is probably something they didn't spot. They saw a man inside a running van at the park and it's entirely possible the details escaped them.

So I get the paranoia. That said, I'm with Roy in hoping that a civil conversation could diffuse that situation. In a case like that I figure it pays to be unremittingly civil no matter how rude the paranoid mom gets.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I think giving in to busybodies is actually just feeding the problem. I'm guessing the woman would have had an even stronger reaction if ORH were another race or ethnicity; however, she probably would not have been emboldened to approach the van.

Seriously, this woman is the kind of person you stand up to, not back down from. This is a battle to pick and win. She is attempting to class you as a citizen; this is the high school cafeteria all over again. Stand your ground; you're not guilty. No reason to act so.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Turn Off Ads?