Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "You're making us nervous."

Re: "You're making us nervous."

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I think giving in to busybodies is actually just feeding the problem. I'm guessing the woman would have had an even stronger reaction if ORH were another race or ethnicity; however, she probably would not have been emboldened to approach the van.

Seriously, this woman is the kind of person you stand up to, not back down from. This is a battle to pick and win. She is attempting to class you as a citizen; this is the high school cafeteria all over again. Stand your ground; you're not guilty. No reason to act so.

I definately agree based on one simple thing. The Woman didn't have to take it upon herself to confront him. If she is that worried, call the police and leave. Report suspicious activity. If that happened, I'm not even sure the police would have done anything more than maybe make an appearance at the park to scope things out. Then again, police did separate a kid from his family over Mike's Hard Lemonade. Being observant and being able to determine situations are very good traits. There is a reason there are people paid to take care of situations like this. They are trained to tell the difference between a child abductor and a driver looking for a place to take a nap. The internet/news/investigative reports do not give you the training to be Mr./Mrs. crime fighter. Thats what irks me. These news reports say they can show you how to identify a criminal. They profile them really well probably. The problem is people assume that everyone who fits the profile is a threat.

He was picked out because of nothing other than appearance. Not on behavior as far as I can tell. He wasn't holding candy or being watching the kids intently I assume. Thats the problem appearance is only part of it. That is usually the part that people leave out or skew based on appearance. Maybe ORH looked up because he heard a noise and the woman assumed he was picking a kid to steal. Its profiling. Everyone does it, and its an important part of survival. (i.e. "Hey, theres a big dog, maybe I should pay extra attention to him so I don't get bit") Not everybody just wants to kill the dog because it is big. That is where the problem is, in how she acted upon her suspicions.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think giving in to busybodies is actually just feeding the problem. I'm guessing the woman would have had an even stronger reaction if ORH were another race or ethnicity; however, she probably would not have been emboldened to approach the van.

Seriously, this woman is the kind of person you stand up to, not back down from. This is a battle to pick and win. She is attempting to class you as a citizen; this is the high school cafeteria all over again. Stand your ground; you're not guilty. No reason to act so.
    While I totally agree the woman was a complete snot and that it's reflective of a faux superiority complex, there's a difference between being polite and "giving in."

I assume ORH knew who the better person was after the first sentence out of her mouth. There really is no "win" with that type. She's not getting down off her high horse no matter what sort of eloquent savaging you give her. Seriously, you could channel George Sanders. It wouldn't matter. Plus, being affable and smiling at her while not giving an inch would leave her in an even bigger snit.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Or he could have gone all Barney Fife on him because he resembles one of the wanted posters they have back at the station or because he thought he may have been what that woman thought he was. Everybody's so skittish these days so involving a cop may not have the benefits you would think it has.
    Exactly my earlier point. Is it even worth the hassle?

Pick your battles. To me, as outlandish as this woman was, its not worth the battle.

Government knows enough about me, gets enough of money in various taxes, fees, and/or fines each year. I deal with government enough for my tastes as it is. No need to get authorites from out of my home state involved.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I'm guessing the woman would have had an even stronger reaction if ORH were another race or ethnicity;
    That was the case actually, but I didn't really think the fact that she was black was really that important.

I totally agree. If you gave in to here she would do it again to someone else. I would of told here to call the police and go away...
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Wy wife just read the post and said something that made me think. This woman could of got mad at you for not leaving and called the cops and said you exposed yourself to her or was masturbating. Who are the cops going to believe? You might have been in Nevada for a few more days than planned.

If this happens again, I would be proactive and call the cops myself, and say this woman or persons is bothering YOU.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    This woman could of got mad at you for not leaving and called the cops and said you exposed yourself to her or was masturbating.
    Well, it is technically the month for that.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    That's pretty funny considering that most of the Sprinters sold are for commercial use. Sure, I use it as my personal vehicle while I'm home, but not many folks buy these for strictly personal use. I saw one converted to a small RV the other day though.
    I think you've just explained my concerns quite nicely. Not everyone buys a non-descript van for commercial use.

Actually, I have magnetic signs on the side with my name, MC and DOT numbers, and my phone number. That photo was taken right after I bought the van last year when I didn't have those signs. This van is identified as a commercial vehicle rather clearly.
    Well that wasn't the picture you posted, but really, "magnetic signs"? How hard is it to acquire a removable sticker with a fake name, mc, dot, and phone numbers? (It's not that difficult BTW.) You were in Nevada, correct? What state is your van registered in?
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2 View Post
    Well that wasn't the picture you posted, but really, "magnetic signs"? How hard is it to acquire a removable sticker with a fake name, mc, dot, and phone numbers? (It's not that difficult BTW.) You were in Nevada, correct? What state is your van registered in?
    The van is licensed in Ohio. If it's not hard to make a fake sign, it's also equally easy to verify those numbers with the DOT, which any cop could have done, or any private person for that matter.

For the record, I didn't leave right away. I put my window up and stayed until I was ready to leave. I wasn't bothered again.

The van is licensed in Ohio. If it's not hard to make a fake sign, it's also equally easy to verify those numbers with the DOT, which any cop could have done, or any private person for that matter.

For the record, I didn't leave right away. I put my window up and stayed until I was ready to leave. I wasn't bothered again.
    Good for you ORH.

It's people like this that are contributing to the growing police state in the United States of America.
    Last edited by WMR; 05-17-2008 at 09:44 AM.

So the thing is, your basically loitering at a kiddy water park, in a non-descript van with removable decals, the engine running, and you have out of state tags on said vehicle. Ummm yeah', there's no cause for anyone to be suspicious of that.

While it's relatively easy to obtain fake magnetic decals for any vehicle, it's really not that easy for a private person to verify a DOT number. Even a quick google search in the comfort of my own home didn't reveal the info on how do that. I doubt many soccer moms have a number programmed into their cell phones to do that either.

I mean no disrepsect ORH. I don't think you did anything wrong, but I can see where the parents should have cause for concern. Sometimes your own commen sense has to kick in and say "Maybe I shouldn't be here". I wouldn't have approached your vehicle, but I would have called the law in similar circumstances.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Sometimes your own commen sense has to kick in and say "Maybe I shouldn't be here". I wouldn't have approached your vehicle, but I would have called the law in similar circumstances.

Why shouldn't he be there?
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Maybe you should get a decal for your van identifying your "company." If you're an independent, you can name it whatever you want. So you really want to have some fun, you could put "Mittelos B.S. Expediting" or "Illuminati Transport" on the side. Or how about "Ace Tomato Co.?" "Pinkerton Trucking" with this logo?

Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Well, it is a pretty non-descript vehicle and it doesn't really look "commercial" at all. It would definantly raise my threat assessment level from blue to red if I saw a male sitting behind the wheel, in an area with full view of a kiddies water park, while he had the engine running. Especially for the time frame you are alluding to. Just saying...
    I agree that it doesn't look commercial at all. Some signage on the side would definitely change my feelings about the look.

Plain white van, dude behind the wheel, engine running.... I'd say both parties are justified in 1. concern for the saftey of kids in the area, and 2. ability to enjoy a park and kill some time without being hassled by an overly protective parent.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Never mind, I read the rest of the thread, and if your van was marked with signs and DOT numbers and what not, then I would have called the cops and told them Ms. Busy Body was bothering you, and gone all ACLU on her butt.

I can think of only one word to call that lady, and it's not able to be printed here...

Turn Off Ads?