Turn Off Ads?

Thread: David Weathers...

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

David Weathers...

Today was a prime example of why David Weathers is highly overrated. He gives up a lead off double, followed shortly after with a single. 2 K's and a ground out he gets out of a jam that HE created himself. And then there's Marty saying "great job by David Weathers". Great job?!? How is giving 2 lead off hits doing a "great job". Now it's a "masterful job" of getting out of trouble. I would agree that it's a great or masterful job if he's getting out of someone ELSE's jam...but he creates these things himself more often than not. I guess sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest. All those people praising Weathers last year also got under my skin.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: David Weathers...

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Today was a prime example of why David Weathers is highly overrated. He gives up a lead off double, followed shortly after with a single. 2 K's and a ground out he gets out of a jam that HE created himself. And then there's Marty saying "great job by David Weathers". Great job?!? How is giving 2 lead off hits doing a "great job". Now it's a "masterful job" of getting out of trouble. I would agree that it's a great or masterful job if he's getting out of someone ELSE's jam...but he creates these things himself more often than not. I guess sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest. All those people praising Weathers last year also got under my skin.
    1. Who "overates" David Weathers. Who ever said he could be more than an adequate setup man? Not that there's anything wrong with an adequate setup man.

2. "he gets out of a jam that HE created himself." The key words being "he gets out of a jam'- not something a lot of people on the Reds were able to do at old Shea this weekend. And you're complaining about one of the few guys who stopped the Mets from scoring.

3. You were the guy complaining about the Reds replacing Brey with Weathers. Yet since coming back Weathers hasn't given up a run. Brey was recalled on Friday and has been terrible in the 2 games he pitched.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    1. Who "overates" David Weathers. Who ever said he could be more than an adequate setup man? Not that there's anything wrong with an adequate setup man.
    No, I can't think of any specific names, but there were many people on this board, other boards and in the media that kept saying how bad our pen was last year..."except for Weathers". He was far from good last year. He was lucky last year. Good pitchers don't consistantly get themselves into jams inning after inning.

2. "he gets out of a jam that HE created himself." The key words being "he gets out of a jam'- not something a lot of people on the Reds were able to do at old Shea this weekend. And you're complaining about one of the few guys who stopped the Mets from scoring.
    Was he able to get out of the inning unscathed? Yes. I'm not denying that. But for Marty to say he did a great job that inning is simply ignoring the fact that he gave up 2 hits that very easily could've blown up in his face. That was a "breathe a sigh of relief" inning...not a good (and very far from a "masterful") inning.

3. You were the guy complaining about the Reds replacing Brey with Weathers. Yet since coming back Weathers hasn't given up a run. Brey was recalled on Friday and has been terrible in the 2 games he pitched.
    Yes, Bray hasn't been sharp his last couple outings. But that's not the point. We're not going to win ANYTHING this year. This year should be all about working towards 2009 and 2010. Weathers has no upside at all. Bray, however, does. (as does Burton). Prior to his 2 outings in this series, Bray had a 0.00 era. He was rock solid down in the minors too. This is the year to give Bill a shot and see what he's got and if he can contribute to our playoff run next year. Me wanting Bray (and Roenicke) up instead of giving Weathers innings has nothing to do with their current performances...it's about grooming our arms for the future.

I agree that David Weathers rarely gets through a quick 3 batter / 3 out inning. But then again, he does tend to get out of his jams more often than not.

got alil captain in u?

Why are we complaining about weathers anyway he sure pitching better than some of the guys the've ran out there lately. Weathers, Affedlt and Cordero are about the only guys i am comfortable with on the mound in late innings. So what if he gets himself in to trouble if he gets out of it. Last time i check if you pitch a scoreless inning, you pitch a scoreless inning no matter what happens during that inning.

Weathers was a good pitcher last year. The reds depended on him time after time to pitch big innings and he done a good job. Sometimes he pitched two innings at a time to close the game. He doesn't have great stuff but he does seem to get the big out when needed, most of the time. This is something some of the reds pitchers can't do.

Every single time Weathers or Coffey are brought into the game, I just cringe. IMO, both are terrible....but unfortunately, that's all we have until we get to Cordero

I'm sure Dusty does the same. Cringe. It seems like every single time he comes in, he gets into trouble. While he does manage to escape it more often than not, getting INTO jams is NOT what you want from a bullpen regular. Escape artist or not.

So if we're going to give an arm a shot at filling the gap between starters and Cordero, I'd much rather we give the ball to a player with some upside to him. We are, afterall, building for the future. That means Burton & Bray. They've both had their struggles, but given consistant work I think thier skills will even things out over the long haul. I don't think anyone can argue that they've got the stuff for the bigs.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 05-14-2008 at 03:33 PM.

Thus the Nickname Stormy.
    The Hunt for a Reds October.

Why, oh why do we keep running this human gas can out there game after game. Sheesh!

~to recap, he set up a little league tee and put his ball on it for Ben Fransisco. Ben's ready for coach pitch leagues I'd guess. He parked it. Big surprise. Weathers' is a flat out JOKE. Let the young arms THROW already. If they blow it...fine, but at least they've got some upside to them.

Sorry, just had to vent.

Hey, lets get this team to Run Fogg out of here before Weathers...

That guy needs to take his Pennies and Leave town. He ha enough for a bus ticket now

Turn Off Ads?