Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why not Jay Bruce in centerfield?

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Why not Jay Bruce in centerfield?

I guess it was the "who cares about his long term health" comment that irked me. My appologies. We're apparently on the same page concerning Jay.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    It has to be a team in the playoff hunt for him to accept
    Seattle happens to be more games back than the Reds

what playoff team has an open RF slot?
    Just find a team that needs a Left handed DH. Griffey's legs are shot at this point in his career making his range non existant and I figure most teams realize this. Griff might be able to make a start a week but he needs to eitehr take a crash course at 1b or go somewhere that could use a DH (Edgar Martinez anyone).

By the way, Chris Dickerson is playing really well in Louisville. He's hitting .325 over his last twenty games, and has his OBP up to .349. We know he is a true centerfielder, so if they aren't going to bring up Bruce, then why not him?

I also wonder if Patterson's contract is guaranteed. Most split contracts, which his was, are not. If it is not, then I say bite the bullet, release him and sign Kenny Lofton. He will agree to join the team for $2.5M more than Patterson is making. I'd say that would be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I also wonder if Patterson's contract is guaranteed. Most split contracts, which his was, are not. If it is not, then I say bite the bullet, release him and sign Kenny Lofton. He will agree to join the team for $2.5M more than Patterson is making. I'd say that would be worth it.
    I think Patterson's contract is guaranteed. :thumbdown
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by smoke6 View Post
    Yeah compared to Gold Glovers like Freel, Hopper, and offensive mammoths like Patterson, Bruce has no chance. I have never heard Bruce "isn't that good of an OF'r".

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    By the way, Chris Dickerson is playing really well in Louisville. He's hitting .325 over his last twenty games, and has his OBP up to .349. We know he is a true centerfielder, so if they aren't going to bring up Bruce, then why not him?

How does signing lofton help the long term health of the franchise? Some of you are just not getting it. There's some deep routed reasons that this team has one of the longest droughts of winning in all of sports. Signing Kenny Lofton would be another one of these type of moves.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I would have to agree. Lofton is far from any kind of serious fix for the Reds and I think an earlier comment about working our way through the farm system is our best chance at rebuilding what was the best team in baseball.

I have to admit I don't get excited easily but I thought today would be the day the Reds would bring up Jay Bruce from AAA Louisville.

Starting a long homestand, the team looks very dead and uninspired, I thought there was a move of some type coming. The Patterson experiement hasn't worked and there's not much that Patterson could do to really fix this situation himself. He's just not a good ballplayer at this point.

I guess the reds really are waiting until June to bring up bruce and start the arbitration clock a year later. I figured they'd have a different attitude about it; like; the best guy plays. Thought they'd forget about the arbitration clock because arbitration shouldn't matter with Bruce. If he's that good the front office should lock him up long term before it ever gets to that point. Maybe I"m sadly mistaken again.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0

Bruce was 4 for 4 in the DH opener for Louisville today. It's the 3rd time this year he was 1 hit away from the cycle.

It's pretty sad that I enjoy following the minor league games online more than I enjoy watching the Reds on TV this year.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    Also, that argument doesn't hold water. Play Griffey in center again and put Bruce in right. Why not?
    Because it would instantly raise the pitching staff's ERA by a run and a half?

I still have not heard a good explanation as to why Bruce is not starting for the Reds in CF. If he is not a future CF, then why is he playing CF for Louisville.

Quote Originally Posted by tommycash View Post
    I still have not heard a good explanation as to why Bruce is not starting for the Reds in CF. If he is not a future CF, then why is he playing CF for Louisville.
    Is it an arbitration thing? If not, then there is ZERO reason he's not up now. The excuse of moving along too fast is crap, IMO. Bring him up and tell him that he is going to be the everyday (fill in the blank)fielder, don't worry about stats, just play and get MLB exp.
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    How does signing lofton help the long term health of the franchise? Some of you are just not getting it. There's some deep routed reasons that this team has one of the longest droughts of winning in all of sports. Signing Kenny Lofton would be another one of these type of moves.
    It will help this year. This year is far from over. Last year the Rockies and Cubs got off to horrible starts, and both made moves that improved the team and got them into the playoffs.

Just look at the Pirates right now. last weeks, they were tied with the Reds for last place, then won 6 in a row, and are one game below .500.

One hot streak of a week or two, and the Reds are right back in it.

Quote Originally Posted by smoke6 View Post
    Is it an arbitration thing? If not, then there is ZERO reason he's not up now. The excuse of moving along too fast is crap, IMO. Bring him up and tell him that he is going to be the everyday (fill in the blank)fielder, don't worry about stats, just play and get MLB exp.
    bingo. excellent post.

The Dodgers just recalled Clayton Kershaw, so it is making the Jay Bruce Call up all the more linkely now... How can the Reds justify letting him stay down there with Patterson hitting .213 and CF waiting for him right there....

Turn Off Ads?