Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why not Jay Bruce in centerfield?

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Why not Jay Bruce in centerfield?

Why is it that everyone assumes that Bruce is destined to be Griff's replacement in rightfield? If it's so written in stone that he's a corner outfielder, then why are the Reds brass letting Rick Sweet plop him out in centerfield for the Bats game in and game out? He seems to be doing very well in center. If at some point in his career he gets moved to right, fine. But with our current gaping hole in center, what's holding up his promotion? His lack of walks? His abundance of k's? Look, I'd like it to be a perfect world too, but regardless of his 34 to 9 k-bb ratio, he's still hitting .328 with considerable pop in over 130 ab's. Votto's at a 20 to 10 ratio, Phillips is at a 27 to 10 ratio. Get over it and bring him up.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why not Jay Bruce in centerfield?

I've heard scouts comment that hes not really that good of an outfielder to be depended on to cover a lot of ground in center on an every day basis.

part of BBN

I would like him in CF now then move him next season over to a corner.
    Not playing him in CF here but in Louisville sorta shows the clock(moneywise) is the more apparent reason he isnt here right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Orodle View Post
    I've heard scouts comment that hes not really that good of an outfielder to be depended on to cover a lot of ground in center on an every day basis.
    Yeah compared to Gold Glovers like Freel, Hopper, and offensive mammoths like Patterson, Bruce has no chance. I have never heard Bruce "isn't that good of an OF'r".
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

I have heard that Bruce is playing all three outfield positons this year in preparing what may happen in the Reds front.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

I really wish he could catch.

Seriously, I think he'll end up being Griffey's replacment. Griffey will be gone by the beginning of July.

I heard a scout say his outfield skill is a cross between Chris Duncan and Adam Dunn. jk
    Call him up.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    I really wish he could catch.

Seriously, I think he'll end up being Griffey's replacment. Griffey will be gone by the beginning of July.
    It has to be a team in the playoff hunt for him to accept
    Seattle happens to be more games back than the Reds

what playoff team has an open RF slot?
    Last edited by Krawhitham; 05-11-2008 at 07:36 PM.

Bruce will be up, but not until June. Keeps him away from being a "super two". It's just a few more weeks, the Reds waited this long, might as well wait a few more weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Orodle View Post
    Okay, fair enough. But then someone explain to me why he's playing centerfield nearly exclusively at Louisville? That's what keeps bugging me about this. If they're so certain he's going to be a right fielder...then get him some actual playing time there.

But constantly playing him in center tells me that their either grooming him for the CF position...OR...there's simply no communication going on in the F.O.

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    I have heard that Bruce is playing all three outfield positons this year in preparing what may happen in the Reds front.
    He is playing all three positions. But it's like 9 games in center, 1 in left, 9 games in center, 1 in right, 9 games in center. That's not preparing for all 3 positions. That's giving another player a look at center and not wanting Jay out of the line up.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Just another decision in a long line of them that has had this team as a laughingstock of this league for the better part of a decade now.

The signing of patterson, the fumbling of Bruce, etc. etc. It goes on and on. Arbitration time should have NOTHING to do with this decision. You wanna win ballgames, you play the kid right now, knowing if he's what he's advertised as you're going to sign him long term anyway, so it doesn't matter 'when' he can become a free agent. and you sign him down the road.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Gotta love the excuse 'he's not up because he isn't a center fielder'.

Two things. Why's he playing every night in center in AAA?

Also, that argument doesn't hold water. Play Griffey in center again and put Bruce in right. Why not? What are we saving griffey's legs for? Griffey should be rode hard because he's not going to be a red after this year anyway. Who cares about his long term health.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    Play Griffey in center again and put Bruce in right. Why not? What are we saving griffey's legs for? Griffey should be rode hard because he's not going to be a red after this year anyway. Who cares about his long term health.
    Okay, that's steping over the line don't you think? Hopefully that was sarcastic, because Junior deserves respect from Cincy fans. Injuries aside, Junior is a class act through and through. Baseball in general needs more players like him. Getting down on Junior because of injuries or advancing age is failing to see the bigger picture IMO.

Yes, he should be traded for the betterment of the team, but he should be treated with the utmost respect from the F.O. and the fans IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Okay, that's steping over the line don't you think? Hopefully that was sarcastic, because Junior deserves respect from Cincy fans. Injuries aside, Junior is a class act through and through. Baseball in general needs more players like him. Getting down on Junior because of injuries or advancing age is failing to see the bigger picture IMO.

Yes, he should be traded for the betterment of the team, but he should be treated with the utmost respect from the F.O. and the fans IMO.
    If anything it was a compliment from me to Griffey.

I don't think there should be a rule that Bruce must play center and Griffey must play right. I think Griffey would be fine sliding back to center field (If the concern is bruce in center). That seems to be everyone's thing "Bruce isn't a CF!!!" Ok, well put Griffey in Center. "But Griffey would get too beat up playing center" would be many's argument. That's not a good argument because it shouldn't matter... if Griffey is going to get hurt he's about as likely in right field. Why hold back any part of the future for a guy who doesn't figure into anything down the road is all I'm saying.

Turn Off Ads?