Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Paul DePodesta's Blog

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Paul DePodesta's Blog

A friend of mine just sent me a link to Paul DePodesta's new blog. Despite Paul's lack of success as a GM so far, I've been pretty interested in his point of view on things ever since reading Moneyball.

Looks like a really good resource for those of us who like to spend our spare time on the internet reading about baseball. May also be a good way to keep tabs on the Padres... although I don't know how much he'll actually share with us. Time will tell.

Enjoy.

http://itmightbedangerous.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by RedEye; 05-11-2008 at 10:50 PM.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Paul DePodesta's Blog

Only two posts so far, but he is answering questions.

Very cool.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

"alcohol kills brain cells."
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    "alcohol kills brain cells."
    Um... what?
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Um... what?
    My favorite Paul DePodesta quote from Moneyball, when he was asked if he drinks...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    My favorite Paul DePodesta quote from Moneyball, when he was asked if he drinks...
    Oh. Thanks... I guess I didn't read it quite so carefully as you did.

Basement-Dwelling Blogger JinAZ's Avatar

Thanks for this link--definitely one I'll keep an eye on.

This is tangentially related, but here's the blog of the director of player development for the D-backs:
    http://dbackspd.mlblogs.com/
    It makes for interesting reading now and then, even though it's focused on that team (naturally).

I like this trend we're seeing where front office guys are starting to run their own public blogs. Obviously they have to keep a lot of things under wraps. But at the same time, there's a lot that they can say without sacrificing competitive advantage that can provide some unique insights into what goes on within that world of theirs. The Dbacks blog is a great example of this. Actually, he often goes a bit further than I would have thought he would with his "scouting" reports.
    -j

Yeah, as these blogs start appearing over the next few years, it should be quite interesting to follow what gets said, how it gets said, and how teams deal with information leaking out. I don't think there is really a road map yet for this sort of thing. I'm sure in the next few years there will be more of an MLB party line on what "insiders" are allowed to put on the internet, but not just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I'm sure in the next few years there will be more of an MLB party line on what "insiders" are allowed to put on the internet, but not just yet.

Rob Drake had a good, and interesting, umpiring blog- http://theumpirelife.com - going for a short time, and it was quickly developing into a must-read for me. MLB shut it down after a couple of weeks because of the possible security issues, fears of tampering, etc. I wouldn't expect a GM blog to be up for very long, either.
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

Turn Off Ads?