Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Monday 5-12-08 Minor League Game Updates

Re: Monday 5-12-08 Minor League Game Updates

Quote Originally Posted by New Fever View Post
    Maybe Tomorrow
    He should but I doubt it happens for awhile. It's a shame too; watching him with Harang, Votto and Volquez are about the only things that aren't utterly depressing on this team.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I can tell you first hand that Jay Bruce and Tom Shearn made a lot of kids (and adults) very happy on Saturday by spending their morning at the Special Olympics at Fairdale H.S. in Louisville. I could not have been more impressed with either of them. Not just arriving bright and early on a Saturday morning, but speaking from the heart during the opening ceremonies and spending all the time it took to sign every autograph, shake every hand and to interact sincerely with the athletes and their families.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    What's Corey Patterson have on this kid again?
    Compromising photos of Dusty Baker? :

If Bruce gets his OPS up over 1.000, you can't justify keeping him in the minors no matter the separation between his BA and OBP. He's at .991 as of the end of the first game this afternoon, and is to this point 0-1 in the second game.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    I wonder if Maloney will get a shot at the 5th spot in the rotation.

Belisle reminds me of what the Mets went through with Heilman. They almost cut Heilman as a failed starter at one point before converting him to the bullpen, where he's been quite effective.
    After a performance like today, I was thinking the exact same thing. He's not been very good this season, though. But it looks like his last few starts have been better.

I would give Belisle another couple starts in the rotation, and likewise for Maloney in Louisville. If Belisle continues to struggle and Maloney continues his upswing, I'd give Maloney a shot in the rotation after the draft. However, I would still be shopping him (Maloney) heavily at the moment to see if anyone would bite on the strikeout southpaw. If no significant offers come in, then I'd give him a shot in the bigs.

Bailey needs to remain in AAA to straighten himself out for the forseeable future.
    Last edited by Benihana; 05-12-2008 at 02:37 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Was this not the same freneticism that was going on last year to have Bailey called up - I know this never has any traction here but could it be Bruce does need some seasoning in AAA so he can become an everyday player for the REDS once he comes up and does not need to be sent down to AAA to straighten himself out.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I would give Belisle another couple starts in the rotation, and likewise for Maloney in Louisville. If Belisle continues to struggle and Maloney continues his upswing, I'd give Maloney a shot in the rotation after the draft. However, I would still be shopping him (Maloney) heavily at the moment to see if anyone would bite on the strikeout southpaw. If no significant offers come in, then I'd give him a shot in the bigs.

Bailey needs to remain in AAA to straighten himself out for the forseeable future.
    I think Maloney is going to have to level off that ERA quite a bit before he's shoppable for anything of value. He's not had a good season and presently, isn't worth much.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 05-12-2008 at 03:03 PM.

Bruce singled in the second game in the 4th inning. He is 1-2 in the second game.

Wait, he made an out in the first at-bat in the second game? He should be busted back to Sarasota. This bent he has to make "outs" is really unfortunate.

You know who else used to make "outs" as he moved through the farm system? Brandon Larson.

Just sayin'.

The comparison is eerie.
    Last edited by membengal; 05-12-2008 at 02:54 PM.

I think Jay is picking a good day to show his skills, Reds director of Scouting Terry Reynolds is at the games today.

Bats scored 2 and took a 2-1 lead.

Since May 1st Jay counting 1 for 2 in games 2 is now 17 for 39 --.435 with 17 hits and 4 walks , reached base 21 times in 43 at bats a.488 on base % in 11 games.

Guess Reds would prefer 12 hits and 9 walks ? He is reaching base thats the key , hard to have an ob% 60% higher when your batting average approaches .350

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by indy_dave00 View Post
    I think Jay is picking a good day to show his skills, Reds director of Scouting Terry Reynolds is at the games today.
    Good timing!

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    Was this not the same freneticism that was going on last year to have Bailey called up - I know this never has any traction here but could it be Bruce does need some seasoning in AAA so he can become an everyday player for the REDS once he comes up and does not need to be sent down to AAA to straighten himself out.
    Have you seen who roams the three OF spots for the Reds? I'd put good money on that Bruce could best at least two of them right now.

He's played close to 90 games at AAA now and has shown he's better than 99% of the players in the minors. Not much left for him to prove IMO and I think his walk rate will get higher as he gets older.

Turn Off Ads?