Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47

Thread: Junior officially on the market???, heard on ESPN...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    76

    Junior officially on the market???, heard on ESPN...

    it's pretty obvious to anyone we will not be picking up his option at the end of the year and that the reds could be looking to move him if we struggled but it's never really been said out loud

    I just heard on an espn radio update that the reds are "rumored" to be trying to trade Junior and the mariners are greatly interested in bringing him back.

    My point is once this usually starts up in the media it's pretty much the beginning of the process of a deal happening. granted the report is very vague and not specific or even with a source, but it just seems that once this kind of speculation gets mainstream, it's usually part one of the process.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: Junior officially on the market???, heard on ESPN...

    I hope it's true, he can't be moved fast enough imo. I find it hard to believe that any team would want him, he brings nothing to a winning ball club at this point in his career.

  4. #3
    Member OesterPoster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    West-central Ohio
    Posts
    2,052

    Re: Junior officially on the market???, heard on ESPN...

    I wouldn't get too excited. Their "source" is probably mlbtraderumors.com, whose source was Hal McCoy's article about one of Seattle's ass't to the GM watching Griffey in NY.

  5. #4
    Member tommycash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    442

    Re: Junior officially on the market???, heard on ESPN...

    My question is if the Mariners want him back badly, does his value increase if we trade him to Seattle before he hits 600?

  6. #5
    Senor Votto Degenerate39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,917

    Re: Junior officially on the market???, heard on ESPN...

    Where ever Griffey ends up I hope the man has a great last few seasons. He's always been my favorite baseball player but he has to leave the Reds for the good of the team really. I'll enjoy watching you for the mean time Griff.
    Most Vottomatic Player

  7. #6
    got alil captain in u?
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Bridgeport Ohio
    Posts
    4,839

    Re: Junior officially on the market???, heard on ESPN...

    The Mariners badly need offense their big bats are struggling mightly. How conviently that Kenny is swining the bat better these days. What will Jocketty be going after is the next big question. Junior would be more than happy to go home again.Bruce would hypothetically come up to replace him.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    76

    Re: Junior officially on the market???, heard on ESPN...

    Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Where ever Griffey ends up I hope the man has a great last few seasons. He's always been my favorite baseball player but he has to leave the Reds for the good of the team really. I'll enjoy watching you for the mean time Griff.

    agree, when he got dealt to cincy it was the happiest day of my baseball fan life, my favorite player + my favorite team. It's such a shame the last 8 years have been very at best. he's about to surpass a milestone that not many have/will ever reach and it's just not as exciting as it should be. I don't know if it's Junior's deteriorating relationship with the fans and media + injuries + his denial last year of degrading CF skills, but i've grown away from him unfortunately.

    I went from a ridiculous man-crush on him as a potential reds savior to a very "oh-well" thought process on him in 8 years.

    I really hope he gets traded soon, not because i want him off the reds but mainly because i want to see him happy and on a winner and to contribute. I hope he goes somewhere and leads them to a playoff birth so he can walk away from the game on a high note.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    76

    Re: Junior officially on the market???, heard on ESPN...

    Quote Originally Posted by tommycash View Post
    My question is if the Mariners want him back badly, does his value increase if we trade him to Seattle before he hits 600?
    I think it does, i don't think it would mean we'd go from a mid-level prospect to possibly clement or balentien, but i do think it could mean the difference in a rookie ball prospect and a potentialy A+ or AA prospect

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cookeville, Tennessee
    Posts
    337

    Re: Junior officially on the market???, heard on ESPN...

    I am not saying that whether he will be traded but this rumor starts every year about this time. I think that if the reds can find a trade partner they have got to trade him this year.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    76

    Re: Junior officially on the market???, heard on ESPN...

    Quote Originally Posted by James B. View Post
    I am not saying that whether he will be traded but this rumor starts every year about this time. I think that if the reds can find a trade partner they have got to trade him this year.
    very true, the difference this year being espn radio putting it out there on an update. Usually it pops up on message boards and some local papers and blogs and stuff like that, but i can't recall it ever being on a national radio show put out there like that. I might be wrong and it actually has been before but I guess this is definitley the year something will happen with pending free agency.

    If he weren't traded and became a free agent, would we get draft picks? Don't you have to be considered a top tier free agent to get them?

  12. #11
    Member OesterPoster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    West-central Ohio
    Posts
    2,052

    Re: Junior officially on the market???, heard on ESPN...

    I went through the blog entries about Junior on the Seattle paper web site...and they seem to be pretty much divided down the middle on trading for Junior. Half of them say they'll buy tickets out the wazoo to watch Griffey, while the other half say the Mariners are idiots if they acquire an aging vet like Griffey when they can have him for nothing after the season.

  13. #12
    part of BBN jmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,309

    Re: Junior officially on the market???, heard on ESPN...

    Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan07 View Post
    The Mariners badly need offense their big bats are struggling mightly. How conviently that Kenny is swining the bat better these days. What will Jocketty be going after is the next big question. Junior would be more than happy to go home again.Bruce would hypothetically come up to replace him.
    Jr constantly says he wants a ring and the reds record is better than the mariners right now. If he goes home, is he forfeiting his shot at a ring ?(rather than veto a trade to them, and go somewhere else)

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    434

    Re: Junior officially on the market???, heard on ESPN...

    Please let it be!
    80% of the earth is covered by water. The other 20% is covered by Eric Davis.

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    170

    Re: Junior officially on the market???, heard on ESPN...

    Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Where ever Griffey ends up I hope the man has a great last few seasons. He's always been my favorite baseball player but he has to leave the Reds for the good of the team really. I'll enjoy watching you for the mean time Griff.
    I agree with you 110%. He was someone I never dreamed would play for the Reds and when Bowden pulled off that deal for him....I felt nearly as estatic as when we won the series in 1990.

    The hardest part of this is what you said...it's best for the team. It's been fun watching Junior play. I only wish he could have had a better stay in his hometown.

    Perhaps a trade back to Seattle will bring back some of the joy he had when he was a younger player.

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    170

    Re: Junior officially on the market???, heard on ESPN...

    Quote Originally Posted by K-GAR View Post
    agree, when he got dealt to cincy it was the happiest day of my baseball fan life, my favorite player + my favorite team. It's such a shame the last 8 years have been very at best. he's about to surpass a milestone that not many have/will ever reach and it's just not as exciting as it should be. I don't know if it's Junior's deteriorating relationship with the fans and media + injuries + his denial last year of degrading CF skills, but i've grown away from him unfortunately.

    I went from a ridiculous man-crush on him as a potential reds savior to a very "oh-well" thought process on him in 8 years.

    I really hope he gets traded soon, not because i want him off the reds but mainly because i want to see him happy and on a winner and to contribute. I hope he goes somewhere and leads them to a playoff birth so he can walk away from the game on a high note.
    I said something very similar to you before I read your post. What a great day that was to get Griffey http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...ffey_trade_ap/

    A quote within the article says "I'm finally home". Little did we know that his trip home wouldn't be so happy.

    Like you, I want him to end his career on a positive note. I don't care where it is...I just want to see it be a positive ending.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25