Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Junior officially on the market???, heard on ESPN...

Junior officially on the market???, heard on ESPN...

it's pretty obvious to anyone we will not be picking up his option at the end of the year and that the reds could be looking to move him if we struggled but it's never really been said out loud

I just heard on an espn radio update that the reds are "rumored" to be trying to trade Junior and the mariners are greatly interested in bringing him back.

My point is once this usually starts up in the media it's pretty much the beginning of the process of a deal happening. granted the report is very vague and not specific or even with a source, but it just seems that once this kind of speculation gets mainstream, it's usually part one of the process.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Junior officially on the market???, heard on ESPN...

I hope it's true, he can't be moved fast enough imo. I find it hard to believe that any team would want him, he brings nothing to a winning ball club at this point in his career.

I wouldn't get too excited. Their "source" is probably mlbtraderumors.com, whose source was Hal McCoy's article about one of Seattle's ass't to the GM watching Griffey in NY.

My question is if the Mariners want him back badly, does his value increase if we trade him to Seattle before he hits 600?

Where ever Griffey ends up I hope the man has a great last few seasons. He's always been my favorite baseball player but he has to leave the Reds for the good of the team really. I'll enjoy watching you for the mean time Griff.
    Most Vottomatic Player

got alil captain in u?

The Mariners badly need offense their big bats are struggling mightly. How conviently that Kenny is swining the bat better these days. What will Jocketty be going after is the next big question. Junior would be more than happy to go home again.Bruce would hypothetically come up to replace him.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Where ever Griffey ends up I hope the man has a great last few seasons. He's always been my favorite baseball player but he has to leave the Reds for the good of the team really. I'll enjoy watching you for the mean time Griff.

agree, when he got dealt to cincy it was the happiest day of my baseball fan life, my favorite player + my favorite team. It's such a shame the last 8 years have been very at best. he's about to surpass a milestone that not many have/will ever reach and it's just not as exciting as it should be. I don't know if it's Junior's deteriorating relationship with the fans and media + injuries + his denial last year of degrading CF skills, but i've grown away from him unfortunately.

I went from a ridiculous man-crush on him as a potential reds savior to a very "oh-well" thought process on him in 8 years.

I really hope he gets traded soon, not because i want him off the reds but mainly because i want to see him happy and on a winner and to contribute. I hope he goes somewhere and leads them to a playoff birth so he can walk away from the game on a high note.

Quote Originally Posted by tommycash View Post
    My question is if the Mariners want him back badly, does his value increase if we trade him to Seattle before he hits 600?
    I think it does, i don't think it would mean we'd go from a mid-level prospect to possibly clement or balentien, but i do think it could mean the difference in a rookie ball prospect and a potentialy A+ or AA prospect

I am not saying that whether he will be traded but this rumor starts every year about this time. I think that if the reds can find a trade partner they have got to trade him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by James B. View Post
    I am not saying that whether he will be traded but this rumor starts every year about this time. I think that if the reds can find a trade partner they have got to trade him this year.
    very true, the difference this year being espn radio putting it out there on an update. Usually it pops up on message boards and some local papers and blogs and stuff like that, but i can't recall it ever being on a national radio show put out there like that. I might be wrong and it actually has been before but I guess this is definitley the year something will happen with pending free agency.

If he weren't traded and became a free agent, would we get draft picks? Don't you have to be considered a top tier free agent to get them?

I went through the blog entries about Junior on the Seattle paper web site...and they seem to be pretty much divided down the middle on trading for Junior. Half of them say they'll buy tickets out the wazoo to watch Griffey, while the other half say the Mariners are idiots if they acquire an aging vet like Griffey when they can have him for nothing after the season.

Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan07 View Post
    The Mariners badly need offense their big bats are struggling mightly. How conviently that Kenny is swining the bat better these days. What will Jocketty be going after is the next big question. Junior would be more than happy to go home again.Bruce would hypothetically come up to replace him.
    Jr constantly says he wants a ring and the reds record is better than the mariners right now. If he goes home, is he forfeiting his shot at a ring ?(rather than veto a trade to them, and go somewhere else)

Please let it be!
    80% of the earth is covered by water. The other 20% is covered by Eric Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I agree with you 110%. He was someone I never dreamed would play for the Reds and when Bowden pulled off that deal for him....I felt nearly as estatic as when we won the series in 1990.

The hardest part of this is what you said...it's best for the team. It's been fun watching Junior play. I only wish he could have had a better stay in his hometown.

Perhaps a trade back to Seattle will bring back some of the joy he had when he was a younger player.

Quote Originally Posted by K-GAR View Post
    agree, when he got dealt to cincy it was the happiest day of my baseball fan life, my favorite player + my favorite team. It's such a shame the last 8 years have been very at best. he's about to surpass a milestone that not many have/will ever reach and it's just not as exciting as it should be. I don't know if it's Junior's deteriorating relationship with the fans and media + injuries + his denial last year of degrading CF skills, but i've grown away from him unfortunately.

I went from a ridiculous man-crush on him as a potential reds savior to a very "oh-well" thought process on him in 8 years.

I really hope he gets traded soon, not because i want him off the reds but mainly because i want to see him happy and on a winner and to contribute. I hope he goes somewhere and leads them to a playoff birth so he can walk away from the game on a high note.
    I said something very similar to you before I read your post. What a great day that was to get Griffey http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...ffey_trade_ap/

A quote within the article says "I'm finally home". Little did we know that his trip home wouldn't be so happy.

Like you, I want him to end his career on a positive note. I don't care where it is...I just want to see it be a positive ending.

Turn Off Ads?