Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

Thread: Reds vs Marlins 5/12/08

Re: Reds vs Marlins 5/12/08

Cantu pops out to short. Reds win 8-7! Harang's first win since April 10th.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Whew, a win is a win I suppose.

Par for the course at GABP.

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfan View Post
    we need this win badly... 16-23 or 15-24
    Seattle is 15-24 going into tonight's game

(better them than us)
    Never overlook the obvious

What would the Reds say if the Mariners wanted Jr BEFORE he hits # 600?
    Pennant or bust!

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by Az Red View Post
    "Commmmmmmmmmmme and get him!"
    Never overlook the obvious

That was a nerve wracking game. Great game thread, though!

The Reds are 7-7 by my count this year with a game thread...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

There was reportedly a Seattle scout at the game in preparation for a possible trade of Griffey. I imagine tonight did not help his trade value.

Quote Originally Posted by Vada Pinson Fan View Post
    Had to stop in here with everyone to vent!!!!! Wonder if Griffey read Edmonds was released? To drop a routine ball like that (yes everyone makes mistakes but when you're being paid $12mil. and your name is Griffey Jr. it's kind of expected and deservedly so) after Phillips got out of the way in plenty of time shows me that KGJ isn't giving his best effort. So many balls bouncing in front of him, this season, falling for hits and now this.

Sadly going back to last year and watching him hit what he thought was a HR only to have to settle for a single that he should have had more pride about himself and his game not to do that but time after time it would happen.

It will be interesting to see after Jr. hits HR #600 just how quickly he will be moved, with his consent of course.

A super star has fallen.

I think Seattle fans have little idea how far he has fallen. If he does go back there I don't see it turning out well. After awhile they'll be clamoring for him to DH and he will resist. I'm thinking he won't know when to retire either.

Quote Originally Posted by Az Red View Post
    We'll take a better prospect before 600 then after (or two). Letting JT hit 600 in Seattle would be a Mariner marketing coup. Make them waitor pay through the nose.

You might not get much of value after 600 (just salary relief and out from under the $4M option), possibly a bit more before 600 though.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

When he dropped that ball, I said to myself "well, that's who you bench so Bruce can play."

The day after, I think I'd still do that...at least part of the time
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 05-13-2008 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    When he dropped that ball, I said to myself "well, that's who you bench so Bruce can play."

The day after, I think I'd still do that...at least part of the time
    I think the newer sleeker game thread was a success and look forward to another tonight. Good job, everyone.

As for Matt's quote above. I disagree. If we benched everyone who made an error (Encarnacion for example) or did something stupid (Freel, for example) there would be no one playing. Junior will get hot soon and start swatting the ball. His swing is still sweet and his problem this year is getting nothing to hit mainly because (IMHO) of who is hitting behind him (you know, the guy who swings at everything). That will change as Phillips starts pounding the ball.

No, he's not the best outfielder anymore, but neither is Freel, Hopper, Dunn, and many others on this team (and I'll include infielders as well). the only difference is the money and I've been assured that the money doesn't matter by many. We've DFA'd enough salary from players and a manager to porbably pay the difference in Junior's salary.

I hope he gets traded so we can quit having this conversation every game. It get tiring.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Trading (or injury, which I don't want) is probably the only way Bruce gets up here - they've eaten so many contracts already - so let's get it done. Honestly, the return to me means very little, at this point...Your 25 best should be on the big squad, and whethe or not Bruce is one of those, I don't know...but there's guys on the 25 now clearly aren't, and as much as an organization says that the best 25 is the main thing, economics has a role.

Griffey may only technically have one error out there, but he looks real bad out there. It's kind of sad.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 05-13-2008 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I hope he gets traded so we can quit having this conversation every game. It get tiring.
    Sadly, that's my thought to. I know I'm in the minority, but I still like Jr, warts and all. He's certarinly not the worst player on this team. I get tired of the constant calls to dump him and bring up Bruce.

I kind of feel sorry for Bruce. Unless he comes up hitting like gangbusters, I wonder how long the honeymoon period is going to be. The expectations are already so unrealistic. All the more reason to leave him in AAA until the Reds' brass is absolutely certain he is ready.

Well, I'll cut this short as I doubt anyone comes back to this game thread again..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?