Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need baseball advice for HS situation !

part of BBN

Need baseball advice for HS situation !

First let me say, this is non-baseball chatter so I dont know what forum to put this in.
    This concerns a friend of mine who has a son who is an exceptional catcher.
    He has been playing Varsity since 7th grade, has an excellent pop-time and shows extra-ordinary baseball skills behind the plate. Just saturday, in a game, he picked off a runner from first which happens quite often and threw a guy out trying to steal (from his knees).
    On several occassions this season someone on a ball in dirt would try to advance and his arm strength has allowed him to nail them from his knees.
    He is really a gifted young catcher. Some opposing coaches have commented he is the best catcher they have ever seen.
    I was telling the daddy today, he may catch Joe Blanton one day ( Blanton attended the neighboring school)
    He was asking me what is the best way for him to do. Does he call colleges or just wait and hope he is discovered?
    You may say if he is that good, he will be discovered.
    Well, he may by smaller colleges but I mean to have a few of the top-notch know of him.
    See, our region is something like the NL Central.
    Harang could go 16-5 and not get a vote for the Cy Young while a Hudson,Zambrano, Hamels would rake in votes with lesser numbers.

That is the way our region is. Team A and Team B have the stars whether in all actuality they are or not.

So are there any HS coaches or college Coaches members of the redszone that can give this kid advice ?
    I told the father today , he (son) needs to not settle for a lesser but try to go to as good a baseball program as he can.
    I also told him I would put it out on the redszone so here it is.
    Comments and suggestions needed.
    Thanks for any imput !

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Re: Need baseball advice for HS situation !

If possible make a highlight video for him and send it to the colleges he had in mind. Maybe send some of his stats as well.

First off what age/grade is he now? and if hes been playing varsity since 7th grade does that mean hes a Kentrucky boy? And what division is his high school team?

Do contact schools. Especially D2 and D3 schools. Now your first reaction to D2 or D3 would be its not big time, but its a different story for baseball compared to basketball or football. There are a ton of D2 and 3 college players that play pro ball and/or transfer to D1 programs after a year or two. THere are even a lot of community college players that transfer to D1 schools or end up being drafted.

Don't expect a full scholarship, its very rare in baseball. Most scholarship baseball players are on partial scholarships.

this link may help a few of your questions: http://www.varsityedge.com/nei/varsi...and+recruiting

But dont be afraid to contact schools. Send letters, photos, video, grade sheets, ect.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

My son attends a very large high school where at least a dozen kids from each graduating class go to D-1 schools on athletic scholarship in various sports. Around here there are services that put together highlight tapes of athletes they can send out to help themselves get "discovered."

I found a few services online with a search for "athlete highlight tapes." Including the word "recruiting" in that search should help, too.
    /r/reds

Does the kid play on a high-quality summer team that travels around the country, or at least around the region?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Does the kid play on a high-quality summer team that travels around the country, or at least around the region?
    Summer ball is really the key to getting noticed. I play HS ball and summer ball during high school and there were always a lot more scouts/college coaches at summer ball games. We had 3 kids play D-1 college baseball from my HS team and a couple others either choose a different sport of play in lower divisions. While the occasional college scout was at our games, I never really noticed any pro teams at our games. However, on my summer league team when we played in big tournaments there were always at least 2-3 pro scouts just taking in the game, even if they were not looking at anyone in particular. I'd suggest making sure he tries out for a few bigger summer teams that play in tournaments where he might get noticed.

They say being a catcher is the fastest way to the Majors. I wish him well.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    He did play on some type of all-star team that went and played in Tennessee during the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by rocko View Post
    He did play on some type of all-star team that went and played in Tennessee during the offseason.
    Good. I would say that is the best way to get noticed. Coaches on those teams usually have connections, and scouts more frequently attend those games.

dont rule out going the JUCO route either

There are college showcases he can go to. They cost money, but not a lot. My 16 yo brother is going to one in July or August and it's $245. He also plays on a travel team that is going to the Dominican Republic this summer. He goes to a small private school so I think these things will help him get noticed. I think he's really good, but we'll see what the college scouts think.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Summer travel ball is really the answer. Not only will it get him noticed but it will put him up against the best of the best and he can see for himself if he really is the real deal.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

As a coach at the college level (& former HS coach)...

1. Attend as many Showcases as possible.
    2. Play HIGH QUALITY summer ball
    3. Send video (NOT highlights) to college coaches (anybody can make a highlight tape. Video of a good swing and fundamental drills is prefered).

Good Luck,6
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Also, a lot of the Division 1 schools have baseball camps in the summer, and at some schools there seems to be an eerily high correlation between the rosters and kids who once attended camp there. If your kid has an idea of where he wants to play and that school has a camp, go if you can.

Otherwise, I agree with the rest of the comments. College baseball teams don't have huge recruiting budgets so you can't assume your son will be discovered just by being good. Be proactive.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Also, a lot of the Division 1 schools have baseball camps in the summer, and at some schools there seems to be an eerily high correlation between the rosters and kids who once attended camp there. If your kid has an idea of where he wants to play and that school has a camp, go if you can.

Otherwise, I agree with the rest of the comments. College baseball teams don't have huge recruiting budgets so you can't assume your son will be discovered just by being good. Be proactive.
    Excellent point. Tell the kid/parent to take matters into their own hands. Make the kid be seen, don't wait for them to be discovered.
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

Turn Off Ads?