Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Do richer MLB teams play in cleaner stadiums?

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Do richer MLB teams play in cleaner stadiums?

http://www.portfolio.com/culture-lif...s-at-Ballparks

Foul Ballpark

by Jessica Liebman June 2008 Issue
    In some stadiums, the rats and flies have pretty good seats.

Do richer Major League Baseball teams play in cleaner stadiums? We surveyed health-code violations at 11 stadiums to find out.

It turns out that two of baseball’s richest teams, the New York Yankees and the New York Mets, and a team near the bottom of the revenue pile, the Kansas City Royals, play in stadiums with some of the best inspection records. But the big middle contains several ballparks where you might want to skip the hot dogs. Two West Coast teams, the Los Angeles Angels and the Oakland A’s, had far more food fouls than any other team. While most were minor, some were, well, disgusting. Teams contract out food service to a handful of vendors, though team management is responsible for stadium cleanliness. The A’s declined to comment; a spokesperson for the Angels conceded that 2007 was an off year but that the team had worked with its vendor and an outside consultant and “made a lot of changes” for 2008.

(View an interactive feature that rates the filthiest stadiums.)
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Do richer MLB teams play in cleaner stadiums?

Never eaten food at a stadium and I never will, ultra fast made by people under pressure ..no thanks.
    Go Gators!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    ultra fast made by people under pressure ..no thanks.
    Good point. Plus they're all temporary workers who are about as part-time as you can get. Food service at a stadium/arena is likely not the kind of job many people clamor for.
    /r/reds

I like stadium food

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Wow, Oakland and LA are off the charts when it comes to violations, compared to the rest. It's not even close.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Maybe the richer teams are more adept at paying off the health inspectors.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

a spokesperson for the Angels conceded that 2007 was an off year but that the team had worked with its vendor and an outside consultant and “made a lot of changes” for 2008

Wow, even the vendors can have an "off year".
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Wow, even the vendors can have an "off year".
    It was due to a low bun average on hot dogs in play... :
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

A few thoughts.

1) Who sets the standards, inspection schedules, etc? Are they federal standards that are consistent across the board, or are they standards that vary by city/county/state? Perhaps more violations is a function of tighter standards or more frequent inspections at the local level.

2) A place like Colorado would have a natural advantage with respect to insects. When it snows into April, that makes it tough for the pests to proliferate. Compared to, say, Southern California where the pests don't really have to worry about a hard freeze and can proliferate all year long.

3) Pests can also be a function of the surroundings. If the park is located in a part of town that is undergoing an urban renewal, it makes sense that demolition & renovation projects are going to stir up things like rats nests. We've experienced that in our neighborhood lately as older buildings are razed for new townhouses or new homes. 2 years ago, a couple of abandonded buildings were being leveled a few miles from our house. That flushed out all of the rats from those buildings. I trapped 18 (all outside) in one month alone.

4) I actually want to be a vendor one season. That's my goal when I retire. Beer man for one summer. Go to the park, work off a little weight, and make a few $.

Do the Reds still have volunteers running their food booths? Like the band club or whatever?

I used to volunteer as one of this groups at a college football games to raise money for charity.. The problem is that you have volunteers with little or no food prep experience that are pretty clueless. They often have good intentions, but there is zero training, which leads to health issues. The booth I helped run was pretty disgusting. The soda machines weren't connected to a drain, it just ran out onto the floor. So you had people walking in soda all day... The flies loved it though.. The place was obviously roach heaven after the lights went out too..
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Wouldn't Florida have an advantage in keeping the place clean? Most days the crowd could be fed by one guy and a good sized Coleman and IIRC they ran out of food a few years ago on opening day.

Turn Off Ads?