Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Erik Bedard tonight...yuck

Erik Bedard tonight...yuck

The Mariners staked him to a 5 run cushion after half an inning, and what does he do? Gives up 6 runs over 2 innings, including back-to-back HRs by Josh Hamilton and Milton Bradley (never got an out in the 3rd).

7 hits, 4 walks, 6 earned runs, and 64 pitches in just 2 innings.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Erik Bedard tonight...yuck

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    The Mariners staked him to a 5 run cushion after half an inning, and what does he do? Gives up 6 runs over 2 innings, including back-to-back HRs by Josh Hamilton and Milton Bradley (never got an out in the 3rd).

7 hits, 4 walks, 6 earned runs, and 64 pitches in just 2 innings.
    Plus the reds still have better record.
    Will Jr accept trade to them if he wants ring?
    BTW, are the mariners the biggest dissapointment in baseball ?

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I am SO glad that the Reds did not trade for Bedard (and that the O's don't have him right now either because I'm having fun watching their young pitchers this season). Even though he has great stuff, he sometimes has clunky starts like tonight and his injury history doesn't build too much confidence for a team either. Hopefully he settles down a bit because he's a much better pitcher than he showed tonight. Wow.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    I am SO glad that the Reds did not trade for Bedard (and that the O's don't have him right now either because I'm having fun watching their young pitchers this season). Even though he has great stuff, he sometimes has clunky starts like tonight and his injury history doesn't build too much confidence for a team either. Hopefully he settles down a bit because he's a much better pitcher than he showed tonight. Wow.
    Heather, it just shows sometimes during the offseason,we get caught up in making trades or signing guys. Sometimes, it is the things not done that makes a club better or worse later on.
    Notice I said "sometimes".
    I agree with you in I am glad reds kept the Bruce's,Votto's/Cueto's etc !

Quote Originally Posted by rocko View Post
    Plus the reds still have better record.
    Will Jr accept trade to them if he wants ring?
    BTW, are the mariners the biggest dissapointment in baseball ?
    Going into Monday's games the three teams with the worst records in baseball were the Padres, Mariners and Reds. The Padres were expected to make the playoffs, as were the Mariners or at least contend for the division title, while the REDS were at least supposed to hang around .500.

For all three teams it's been the same problem. They can't score runs.

You can't play guys like Brad Wilkerson and Corey Patterson and Jim Edmonds and expect to score runs. Wilkerson was released 10 days ago, Edmonds a few days ago, and hopefully Patterson is next.

The Mariners brought up their best prospects, OF Wladimer Balentin and DH/1B/C Jeff Clement after eating the $3M salary of Wilkerson. Two days ago the Mariners had just gone through a stretch of 41 innings while scoring only 2 runs. It didn't get them out of their scoring slump, but maybe tonight's 12 runs are a beginning.

The Padres have too many poor-hitting players on their roster getting major at-bats such as 27-year old OF Paul McAnulty, who wasn't supposed to struggle this much and 28-year old OF Scott Hairston, who probably was supposed to. 24-year old OF Chase Headley's tearing up AAA and should get the call anyday. 30-year old Jody Gerut was brought up last week (for Edmonds) as he was tearing up AAA, too, but so far he's struggled with only 4 hits in 20 AB's, but with only 1 strikeout and 4 BB's. 30-year old C Josh Bard, a career .272 hitter coming into the season is hitting .204. The Padres lost today 12-3.

Patterson's 4 hits today makes it interesting, but Bruce's 2 Doubles, 2 Singles and Homerun today demands that he be brought up. It looks like the REDS are out of their scoring slump. A Junior to Seattle trade is inevitable, but Junior would have to approve it.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-13-2008 at 02:47 AM.

Turn Off Ads?