Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Great American Ball Park at 6

Great American Ball Park at 6

This is the the year GAB has been in existence. I think it's a fair period of time to judge it. Aside from ticket and concession prices and the product the Reds put on the field, what are your likes and dislikes about GAB itself and what would you improve?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Great American Ball Park at 6

I personally love Great American Ballpark. It's a beautiful ballpark and a great place to watch a game. I love the view of the Ohio River, the bridges, and the developing Covington skyline. The Riverboat deck in center field and the smoke stacks are nice features. The food at the park is awesome from the coney's to the absolute best nachos in the world to LaRosa's pizza. There's nothing better in the world than watching the Reds play a night game in warm weather during the summer.

The only complaint I have is I wish the ballpark had been built a little bigger to favor pitchers more.

I just wish the city, county, and Reds could get their act together and develop the area around the ballpark. While Newport is nice to go to after a game, how great would it be if there were restaurants, bars, entertainment right next to the park? I think it would greatly enhance the overall ballpark experience and also the perception of nightlife and entertainment on the Ohio side of the Cincinnati area.

GAB is gorgeous, and everywhere you turn you are reminded that it's the of the Reds. A lot of ballparks aren't like that.

There are plenty of amenities -- abundant concession (i.e. - beer) stands, wide concourses, lots of rest rooms, and several open areas to take a break from the game.

The location is excellent -- plenty to look at and do before and after the game, even if you have to walk a few blocks to get there. Try watching a game in KC, where the parking lot stretches out for half a mile in any direction, and the closest restaurants are a Subway and a Denny's.

Of the parks I've visited, SafeCo Field in Seattle rates the best -- it's tough to beat a view of Puget Sound and a two-story baseball bat chandelier. GAB is second, followed by Coors Field, Wrigley Field, Kaufman Stadium, New Busch (a waste of money, IMO), Riverfront, Old Busch, and Mile High Stadium.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 05-14-2008 at 01:54 PM.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I think GABP is one of those parks that is growing on people as it matures.

It has to be one of the top 10 in baseball.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

The only two things I would change is that the park should face the city, not away from it. I also agree that the area around the park could be better, but the Reds don't have much say in that.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The only two things I would change is that the park should face the city, not away from it.
    What, and risk Dunn knocking out windshields and windows?

Agree that it should face the city. Cincinnati has a great sky line!

One of these days I'll get back to ohio for more than a funeral and get to see GAB.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

It would be awesome if it faced the city, but with the direction of the sun for night games it would be an absolute nightmare.

As for my thoughts, the Riverboat Deck in center adds so much to the park. I liked the park without it, but seeing it now you realize just how bare it was without it.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

I don't like the water fountain by the men's room along about section 417. It has hot water. Not blistering hot, but it is supplied with hot water, unless thay have fixed it this year. Haven't had a chance to attend a game since Opening Day, and I wasn't over there that day.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

I think its average. I also think they really missed the boat by not making it bigger from the start. Its always easier to shorten the playing field but much more difficult to legthen the field. They are trying for an older style field but fill it with new age logos and advertisments.

I like it. It's a little busy in design with all the smokestacks, fog, OF party room, and riverboat. I'd prefer something a little cleaner and more classic. But its a great experience.

But I agree that the surrounding area is pretty well dead. I still think the city/county missed the boat with Broadway Commons which would have provided a much more rich area around the ballpark. But hopefully, the Banks will provide for some of that.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Make the outfield wall higher!!

Hey Footstool, that's a great Drury Inn & Denny's. I went to KC last 4th of July and that place was a life saver. Not to mention the free parking.

As far as GABP is concerned, the river is what made Cincinnati into the city it is today. I think looking over that is very historical.

Obviously the skyline is integral to the modern day Cincinnati, but how a baseball diamond fits doesn't allow a skyline and river, unless home plate is facing west, and no one is going to give a home-field advantage up for a setting sun.

The food's fine, the concourse is fine, the restrooms are fine. I like the stacks for the cool mist in August on one of those sweltering day/evenings.

Food and drink are fine, not too over priced.

What one thing Cincinnati has over the rest of the league is the Hall of Fame/Museum. Wow.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I really am not a GABP fan. It simply doesn't compare to a lot of the other "new" ballparks I've been to, including Oriole Park at Camden Yards, The Ballpark at Arlington, Jacobs Field and Comerica Park.

Bland architectural design, not a lot by way of great amenities or dining options (Comerica & Camden Yards HAMMER GABP in that aspect), poor use of riverfront location, poor neighborhood surrounding the stadium, etc. Nothing about the stadium speaks to the rich tradition and history of the ballclub -- hell, they stashed the championship banners in the corner of the park.

The GABP is a nice place to watch a game, but only because it doesn't do anything wrong. The real problem is that it doesn't do anything particularly right either. As ballparks go, it's just sorta there.

Big swing and miss by the city, IMO.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?