Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Keppinger fractures knee

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Keppinger fractures knee

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    We carry that guy for what seems like 10 years without ever having a situation like this, and then when we release him, suddenly we don't have a SS at all..
    Even if he was the on roster, you could make the argument that the same statement would still be true.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    There is no progression to the mean--only regression.
    Are you saying the offense is overachieving right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Dude, white that comment out! Do NOT let Dusty see that suggestion!

You want to talk about having nightmares, Patterson leading off and Neifi hitting 2nd would be a nightly one.
    Wasn't Perez suspended for a second failed drug test last year? He may not be eligible to play.

You can bet Dusty is suggesting it.:thumbdown
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Even if he was the on roster, you could make the argument that the same statement would still be true.
    Yeah, I'm not crying that Castro is gone.

It's just odd that we are finally in the spot Castro was supposedly carried for.. We need an emergency SS.. Not that Castro was necessarily qualified for that job, but Wayne thought he was.

In regards to the Gonzo discussion. It was a bad sign. He didn't have a good year last season. Sure, he hit a few HRs, but did little else. He was clearly on the decline and Wayne gave him a 3 year deal. I'm still confused why Patterson is almost unamiously viewed as a bad signing, yet people still defend the Gonzo signing which was a much worse risk and was for 3 years..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Wasn't Perez suspended for a second failed drug test last year?
    He apparently tested negative for talent.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Someone signed him.. I think it was the Rockies.

This has got to be the curse of the Castro. We carry that guy for what seems like 10 years without ever having a situation like this, and then when we release him, suddenly we don't have a SS at all..
    I'm happier tonight that Castro was released than I was the day Castro was actually released. The last thing I'd want is Castro actually playing full-time for two months, and that's exactly what would be happening if he was still on the roster.

I have a feeling we may see a harmful dose of Jerry Hairston, Jr. at shortstop soon, because I'm not confident that the Reds will play Janish regularly. Here's Hairston's time at shortstop during his professional career as a whole:

MLB: 9 games (35.2 innings) before tonight
    AAA: 33 games
    AA: 1 game
    High-A: 65 games
    Low-A: 0 games
    Rookie Ball: 58 games

That's 166 games of shortstop in his professional career. And the worst thing is 123 of those games were in 1997 and 1998.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Since the 1998 draft with Kearns and Dunn, the Reds have had a pretty tough time of squeezing out major league talent from their drafts. With the call up of Janish, they now have had three make it within the last year. Votto (2002 class), Bailey (2004), and Janish (2004). Cueto makes it four, if you include L.A. signings.

Between those four and Kearns/Dunn, the Reds developed Coffey ('98), Broussard and Salmon (both '99), and Denorfia ('02).

Next up: Bruce ('05),

Maybe: Dickerson ('03), and Strait and Tatum (both '04)?

Hairston looked brutal at SS against the Astros a couple weeks back. A normal routine groundball went into CF as he lacked any range at all to make the play. Please call up Janish and insert him in as everyday shortstop and bat him eighth.

Hairston is NOT a SS.

Janish better play everyday.

I too am glad Castro is gone. Janish would have never been called up.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Are you saying the offense is overachieving right now?
    Sorry, I was making an attempt at sarcasm. Everybody is always talking about how So-and-so will "regress to the mean" whenever players are playing well, but nobody ever mentions the mean when players play horribly.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    He apparently tested negative for talent.
    Ah, that one's not always a career ender though.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

They said on WLW after the game Janish is on his way up to be here for tomorrows game

In regards to the Gonzo discussion. It was a bad sign. He didn't have a good year last season. Sure, he hit a few HRs, but did little else. He was clearly on the decline and Wayne gave him a 3 year deal. I'm still confused why Patterson is almost unamiously viewed as a bad signing, yet people still defend the Gonzo signing which was a much worse risk and was for 3 years..
    I completely agree. I don't get all the AGon love...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I completely agree. I don't get all the AGon love...
    What AGon love? I see none of it.

Gonzo had a huge excuse for last year.. his son was in and out of the hospital most of the season.. Any father would have a hard time playing baseball or working at a regular job and not have their son on their mind all the time..

Turn Off Ads?