Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Keppinger fractures knee

Re: Keppinger fractures knee

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    The OF, SS, 3rd, and yes, catcher are all culprits.

I think the corner this team will turn (if they wish to turn it) lies in defense, an improved pen, and some more stability in the rotation.
    I don't put 3B on the list. Edwin Encarnacion's throwing errors don't bother me as much as others. He's got great range over there and makes plays that most 3B don't make. I'll take a rangy 3B who will commit an occasional throwing error over a range challenged fielder who will make good throws but not cover as much ground. FWIW, David Wright has as many errors as EdE.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I was ruined by turf, the game doesn't look the way it did when my baseball mind was being molded, in fact on the field it seems slow much slower.
    Me too. I'm never going to get used to the lack of pace in the game played on grass.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I didn't read all 7 pages, but has anyone proposed Phillips to SS, Freel to 2B?

Seems like that fixes the leadoff spot and the D up the middle.
    Phillips @ SS, and then we have multiple options @ 2B (Freel, Hairston, I'm sure I'm forgetting somebody).

But, in the short-term, I'd rather see what kind of D Janish can play at the big league level, and stomach whatever offensive void he brings to the plate.

I think the corner this team will turn (if they wish to turn it) lies in defense, an improved pen, and some more stability in the rotation.
    One of the reasons I'd like to see an immediate defensive upgrade is I want to see how far it can go in creating an improved pen and a more stable rotation.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    One of the reasons I'd like to see an immediate defensive upgrade is I want to see how far it can go in creating an improved pen and a more stable rotation.
    Maybe. But there are some seriously low-voltage arms in the pen.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Sad to see that happen to Keppinger.

My question is, what do we do with him next year if he isn't the SS?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I don't put 3B on the list. Edwin Encarnacion's throwing errors don't bother me as much as others. He's got great range over there and makes plays that most 3B don't make. I'll take a rangy 3B who will commit an occasional throwing error over a range challenged fielder who will make good throws but not cover as much ground. FWIW, David Wright has as many errors as EdE.
    As I've stated many times before, it's not necessarily the errors (though I don't like his pretty clear lack of focus at times); it's that EdE is a slow defensive worker--his turns and pivots and transfers are cumbersome and wholly without the speed and fluidity that can turn force-outs into double-plays, etc.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Maybe. But there are some seriously low-voltage arms in the pen.
    Bring up Herrera. He throws stuff in the low 60s-high 50s and can't crack 90.

As I've stated many times before, it's not necessarily the errors (though I don't like his pretty clear lack of focus at times); it's that EdE is a slow defensive worker--his turns and pivots and transfers are cumbersome and wholly without the speed and fluidity that can turn force-outs into double-plays, etc.
    Not true. Did you see the way he played Amezaga's bunt last night? He's plenty quick over there, both on his feet and with his transfer/release.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Not true. Did you see the way he played Amezaga's bunt last night? He's plenty quick over there, both on his feet and with his transfer/release.
    His feet are exceedingly quick--which makes up for a lot of his poor transfers.

I've gotta say, I haven't noticed those things.

BTW, please bring up Jay Bruce to compensate for the offensive downgrade of Kepp to Janish. In two atbats today Bruce has walked and hit a 2-run triple off the CF wall. He's now hitting a robust .357 with a 1.015 OPS.

BTW, please bring up Jay Bruce to compensate for the offensive downgrade of Kepp to Janish. In two atbats today Bruce has walked and hit a 2-run triple off the CF wall. He's now hitting a robust .357 with a 1.015 OPS.
    No argument there. It's past time.

I've gotta say, I haven't noticed those things.

I'd be shocked if the Reds don't hold out to clear Super Two status since it's already mid May and there's very little time remaining. By my calculations, it looks like the "safe" date to call Bruce up would be May 24th, a Saturday when the Reds are in San Diego. If they waited that long then they'd likely then elect to hold off until returning home on Tuesday, May 27th when the Pirates roll in.

The Reds have held out for seven weeks now on Bruce; I'm thinking they'll keep their hands off the trigger for two more weeks. But stranger things have happened so you never know.

FWIW, it looks like the Brewers held out in calling up Ryan Braun last year until quite possibly the very exact "safe" day. Braun was hitting .342/.418/.701/1.119 in AAA and the Brewers called him up on May 25th.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    I'd be shocked if the Reds don't hold out to clear Super Two status since it's already mid May and there's very little time remaining. By my calculations, it looks like the "safe" date to call Bruce up would be May 24th, a Saturday when the Reds are in San Diego. If they waited that long then they'd likely then elect to hold off until returning home on Tuesday, May 27th when the Pirates roll in.

The Reds have held out for seven weeks now on Bruce; I'm thinking they'll keep their hands off the trigger for two more weeks. But stranger things have happened so you never know.
    Ah, good catch cyclone. If that's the case then it would make no sense to call him up now. Might as well hold off until the 25th.

Bruce walked again, he's 1-for-1 with a 2-run triple and two walks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Sad to see that happen to Keppinger.

My question is, what do we do with him next year if he isn't the SS?
    1. I still think it is possible EE moves to LF. Kep +- Rosales could be at 3B.

2. Superutility guy playing 120 games a year?

3. LF?

Turn Off Ads?