Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: Keppinger fractures knee

Re: Keppinger fractures knee

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    That's been the problem with the Reds and Reds fans in a nutshell - the notion that you'd move out an unproductive old player in favor of a potentially wildly productive young player strikes them as being completely unrealistic.

My take is until common sense becomes realistic expectation with this franchise, then winning baseball is just not realistic at all.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    KGJ is still a pretty big figure in Cincinnati and I don't think the Reds want to upset him in his last days here, regardless if it's the best thing for the team. This is especially true in a season perceived by many to already be a lost one.
    The Reds need to stop caring about all of that stuff. None of it matters and it won't take long for a kid like Bruce to make Jr. nothing more than an afterthought.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It is, if he's batting lower in the order or has a fabulous OBP. It's not Patterson's fault Dusty bats him leadoff, of course. But it's like having Juan Castro on the roster. If he's on the roster, he's going to get used. If Patterson's on the roster, Dusty's going to hit him leadoff. What you want to do is take that temptation away from Dusty and not have him on the roster at all.
    that is crazy. take a great defensive centerfielder with a respectable OPS off the roster because of Dusty. honestly your logic is backwards. you should be arguing to get rid of Dusty. why not get 25 crappy players? then dusty won't screw up the lineup because he can't!

It is, if he's batting lower in the order or has a fabulous OBP. It's not Patterson's fault Dusty bats him leadoff, of course. But it's like having Juan Castro on the roster. If he's on the roster, he's going to get used. If Patterson's on the roster, Dusty's going to hit him leadoff. What you want to do is take that temptation away from Dusty and not have him on the roster at all.
    Brantlye said that Patterson was on fire last night! So after two nights of bunts, seeing eye ground balls, and bloop hits, with admittedly one nice double, Patterson is en fuego! Brantlye can make me sick at times.

And yes I spelled it that way on purpose.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    that is crazy. take a great defensive centerfielder with a respectable OPS off the roster because of Dusty. honestly your logic is backwards. you should be arguing to get rid of Dusty. why not get 25 crappy players? then dusty won't screw up the lineup because he can't!
    Patterson's OPS is so inflated by five good games out of forty it isn't even funny. Don't bring OPS into any discussion about that guy.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post

Believe me, if it were a choice between keeping Dusty and seeing Patterson batting leadoff or firing Dusty and having another manager bat him 7th or 8th, I'd choose the latter. But Dusty's not going anywhere. Since he's not going anywhere, I say do everything in your power to get him the players he wants. If he wants to bat the CF leadoff, go out and get him one who has a decent OBP. If Dusty fails, I don't want to have him and others use the excuse that the Reds didn't get him his kind of players. If he wants Hank Aaron to bat cleanup, I say bring the Hammer out of retirement. If he wants Jr. to play RF, pick up his option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

The Reds need to stop caring about all of that stuff. None of it matters and it won't take long for a kid like Bruce to make Jr. nothing more than an afterthought.
    Perhaps, but I think there's a lot more to it than that.

At any rate, the discussion is mostly irrelevant until Bruce is past the Super-2 status anyway.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 05-14-2008 at 04:14 PM.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Perhaps, but I think there's a lot to it than that.

At any rate, the discussion is mostly irrelevant until Bruce is past the Super-2 status anyway.
    Which is like in a week or so.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Patterson's OPS is so inflated by five good games out of forty it isn't even funny. Don't bring OPS into any discussion about that guy.
    Every players OPS is inflated by their good games, much like every pitchers (except Volquez) ERA is inflated by his poor games.

That's why there is averages.

Believe me, if it were a choice between keeping Dusty and seeing Patterson batting leadoff or firing Dusty and having another manager bat him 7th or 8th, I'd choose the latter. But Dusty's not going anywhere. Since he's not going anywhere, I say do everything in your power to get him the players he wants. If he wants to bat the CF leadoff, go out and get him one who has a decent OBP. If Dusty fails, I don't want to have him and others use the excuse that the Reds didn't get him his kind of players. If he wants Hank Aaron to bat cleanup, I say bring the Hammer out of retirement. If he wants Jr. to play RF, pick up his option.
    While I recognize there's a certain amount of Dusty being Dusty that comes with hiring Dusty and I agree that the overall plan should be to obtain a CF who can hit leadoff, I also expect Baker to show some ability to learn and adapt. Corey Patterson isn't a leadoff hitter even though he is the team's best CF. At some juncture that's got to register and he needs to rejigger the lineup accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Which is like in a week or so.
    It may end up being more like 2 weeks. A lot can happen in a week. I'm not saying I think he'll be moved right after, but I imagine the Reds at least want to see Griffey hit 600 with their ballclub. There's a lot of press and money involved with that.

According to John Fay the MRI came out like they expected. The official estimate is 4 to 6 weeks Keppinger will be out.

While I recognize there's a certain amount of Dusty being Dusty that comes with hiring Dusty and I agree that the overall plan should be to obtain a CF who can hit leadoff, I also expect Baker to show some ability to learn and adapt.

He certainly hasn't been able to learn and adapt in lo these many years he's been managing I don't see why he's going to start now.

Playing Janish presents another problem. If you have Patterson in CF and Janish at SS, you have 3 8th place hitters in the lineup when you include the catcher. Granted, Bako hasn't been hitting like an 8th place hitter but the law of averages says he's due for a fall.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

4-6 weeks is actually better than I expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I imagine the Reds at least want to see Griffey hit 600 with their ballclub. There's a lot of press and money involved with that.
    There is? The team is drawing 15k a night for the Fish this week. Last week's series against the Cubs averaged less than 24k a night. The club has cracked 30k exactly twice since opening day and been under 20k 10 times. Nobody cares about 600. It's not getting a lot of press and it's certainly not generating any significant revenue. People are basically content to watch the highlight on TV when it happens.

We just had a poll on this site, where we've got more ardent than usual Jr. fans, and the result was overwhelming that Jr. ought to be the guy moved to make room for Jay Bruce.

Plus, at his current rate Jr. might not crack #600 until after the All-Star break.
    Last edited by M2; 05-14-2008 at 04:31 PM.

Turn Off Ads?