Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Keppinger fractures knee

Re: Keppinger fractures knee

Very, very sad news. Losing Kepp's bat is going to hurt a bunch. You know what is really unfortunate? In the atbat he got hurt, he was ahead 3-1 in the count and took what looked to be ball four but the ump called it strike two. Next pitch is when he injured himself. If the ump calls that ball four then the injury never happens...crazy how things work.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Janish -- put the defender there, hit him 8th and hope the other guys pick up the slack
    Agreed.

I hate to see this, because Keppinger was one of the few consistant players the Reds had.
    If I had to pick his replacement for now I would go with Janish.

You don't want Jerry Hairston playing shortstop. The defensive difference between Janish and Hairston is significant, much bigger than the difference between say ... Corey Patterson and Ryan Freel or Corey Patterson and Jay Bruce.

Call Janish up and he should now be the team's regular shortstop. Bat the pitcher 8th, slide Janish into the 9th spot - he's perfect for this scenario - and get Dunn up in the lineup hitting 2nd.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    You don't want Jerry Hairston playing shortstop. The defensive difference between Janish and Hairston is significant, much bigger than the difference between say ... Corey Patterson and Ryan Freel or Corey Patterson and Jay Bruce.

Call Janish up and he should now be the team's regular shortstop. Bat the pitcher 8th, slide Janish into the 9th spot - he's perfect for this scenario - and get Dunn up in the lineup hitting 2nd.
    Dusty sees your suggest and raises you a "Paul Janish, your new #2 hitter".
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Very disappointing news. The Reds are definitely going to miss his bat. Kepp leads the team in many offensive categories.

Patterson
    Dunn
    Encarnacion
    Votto
    Phillips
    Griffey
    Bako
    Janish
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Is Neifi Perez available?

I agree on Janish. Bring him up and leave him alone. Bat him 8 or 9.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Is Neifi Perez available?
    Dude, white that comment out! Do NOT let Dusty see that suggestion!

You want to talk about having nightmares, Patterson leading off and Neifi hitting 2nd would be a nightly one.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

We're about to find out how good a player Keppinger really is. My bet is we're really going to miss him. He's the one starter this team could least afford to lose. The things he does to help this team win are voluminous as is the dropoff to the backup be it Janish or whoever. The bright spot is we aren't going to the playoffs anyway this year, let's see what we've got in Janish, Hairston and Co.

Pretty soon we'll wonder why we ever debated whether Keppinger is a starting SS.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Janish will hit about .190 if he's the Reds starting SS. He's having a career year offensively at Louisville (.288, 4 HR) but I don't see him keeping that up. He will kill us offensively if he plays a lot. His career numbers in the minors are pretty bad to say the least.

I definitely don't think Hairston should be the everyday starter at SS, but he should at least split time with Janish. Hairston has impressed me with the way he's hitting the ball, his professional at bats and his baserunning.

And now that we actually need Alex Gonzalez, he's still not even close to ready. That guy is a piece of work. He always looks pudgy and out of shape to me, it's no wonder he can't stay healthy. That was yet another reason Krivsky got fired: Terrible contracts like that of Gonzalez.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mainspark View Post

I realize we don't know the severity of the break, but does anyone out there know the likely recovery time for such an injury?
    I'm not an orthopedic surgeon, but I know (for a medical fact)that it takes 6 weeks for bones to heal. The patella is a free-floating bone, and is pulled both up and down by tendons, so it is always in motion. The only way to get bones to heal properly is to hold them still, somehow. If that means a leg cast, it'll take some rehab also to deal with the muscle atrophy. I'd guess that he is out for 2 months.
    sorry we're boring

When in doubt at shortstop, go with stellar defense.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    And now that we actually need Alex Gonzalez, he's still not even close to ready. That guy is a piece of work. He always looks pudgy and out of shape to me, it's no wonder he can't stay healthy. That was yet another reason Krivsky got fired: Terrible contracts like that of Gonzalez.
    I cannot blame Gonzalez for being hurt anymore than I can blame Keppinger for getting hurt.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Did Gonzo run over your dog or something? His baby was extremely ill last year and he still managed to put up a good season. Lay off the guy.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Turn Off Ads?