Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I know it's only about 40 games in, but...

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I know it's only about 40 games in, but...

I'm really jealous of Tampa Bay Rays fans.

I find myself watching this exciting, young team as much as I can. I wish we had the same plethora of young, MLB ready talent that is the Rays roster.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Re: I know it's only about 40 games in, but...

Those fans have certainly paid their dues.
    I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    Those fans have certainly paid their dues.
    Haven't we paid a similar price since 1999?

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

See, it pays to kick Beelzebub to the curb.

And yes, I think we have paid a similar price, if not a steeper one. Sure Tampa fielded worse teams than the Reds in the past several years, but we sure didn't win anything more thanks to being marginally better than awful. However, the Rays have a boatload of talent to show for those years thanks to the draft picks, while the Reds have a couple of gems but not to the extent that the Rays have.

Also, it's kind of scary to think that Tampa has the first overall pick in this year's draft too. If they spend just a little bit of money, they could be very good for a long time.

The Rays are going to be very good for a long time. With all that young talent on the major league roster and plenty more in the minors, plus a beautiful new stadium that will be built on the waterfront, Rays fans have plenty of things to be excited about. They most likely won't top the Red Sox for the division this but don't be surprised to see them win 87-90 games and compete for a wildcard spot.

While our Reds don't have quite as much young talent as the Rays (who does besides maybe the DBacks), we do have our fair share of young talent. It's hard to find two young pitchers in the game with the stuff and upside of Johnny Cueto and Edinson Volquez. Homer Bailey is pitching well in AAA and has a chance at being a top-of-rotation starter for a long time. Daryl Thompson is dominating AA hitters and establishing himself as one of the top pitching prospects in the game and could possibly see some time in the majors in September. Josh Roenicke is another guy who we should see in Cincy sometime this summer to give the Reds another power arm out of the back of the bullpen.

Edwin Encarnacion and Joey Votto are developing into great hitters right before our eyes. Brandon Phillips is still young and looking like a perennial 25/25 candidate with an occasional 30/30 season. Jay Bruce is the best prospect in baseball and projects to be one of the best hitters in baseball for a long time. Todd Frazier is a very polished prospect who should reach the majors quickly, possibly as soon as 2009. I've seen him compared to Kevin Youkilis but with more athleticism.

The Rays have a bright future but so do our Reds, IMO. Basically what the Reds need is a young catcher, a stud defensive center fielder who can hit a little, and maybe a shortstop. That's what Jocketty should be targeting if/when he deals Griffey/Dunn/Arroyo.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I find myself watching this exciting, young team as much as I can. I wish we had the same plethora of young, MLB ready talent that is the Rays roster.
    Kinda makes you wonder what Victor Zambrano is up to these days.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I don't know about that beautiful stadium on the waterfront.

Nothing like the outdoors here in Tampa in August.
    If you're watchin' a parade, make sure you stand in one spot, don't follow it, it never changes. And if the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction, you will fast-foward the parade. --Mitch Hedberg

How many Rays fans are there? Will this be like Atlanta circa 1991?

Their defense has gone from being a complete disaster to exceptional in one offseason. Bartlett at SS and Iwamura moving to 2B with the addition of Longoria makes a huge difference, and Upton really belongs in CF. Navarro even seems to have learned how to catch. They could probably do better in RF, but that's nitpicky. And, as a result, some of the same pitchers who struggled for them last season aren't anymore. Funny how that works, isn't it?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Man Pills

While they are an exciting team and a nice change to the fabric of the AL East this year, I'd caution against assuming the organization can spin this talent into a consistent winner. Accumulating talent is one thing; building a dynasty is entirely another. They can be perfectly distinct tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I don't know about that beautiful stadium on the waterfront.

Nothing like the outdoors here in Tampa in August.
    You mean, not 78 with a light breeze and no humidity...shocking

Good for the Rays...although it's still really unsettling to watch their home highlights against virtually anyone (though especially against the Sox and Yankees) and watch the crowd responding to visitor plays...it's eerie how many opponent fans are right near the field and in camera sight every day down there...

Why do I get the feeling the Reds are like cooking a recipe??...there are times you know you love the ingredients, but the particular meal tastes like crap...how is it to like Votto, Phillips, EE, Kepp, Dunn, Bako (right now), Freel (used correctly), Harang, Volquez, Cueto, Arroyo (the "mets" version), Cordero, Burton, Affeldt, but to cringe every time the team plays...anyhow...

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

Quote Originally Posted by coachw513 View Post
    You mean, not 78 with a light breeze and no humidity...shocking

Good for the Rays...although it's still really unsettling to watch their home highlights against virtually anyone (though especially against the Sox and Yankees) and watch the crowd responding to visitor plays...it's eerie how many opponent fans are right near the field and in camera sight every day down there...
    Hopefully, the better they get, the more that will change, although the Yankees do have a large fan following in the area in their own right.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Why do I get the feeling the Reds are like cooking a recipe??...there are times you know you love the ingredients, but the particular meal tastes like crap...how is it to like Votto, Phillips, EE, Kepp, Dunn, Bako (right now), Freel (used correctly), Harang, Volquez, Cueto, Arroyo (the "mets" version), Cordero, Burton, Affeldt, but to cringe every time the team plays...anyhow...

Perfect analogy. The ingredients look okay on paper but the flavor is yuck when mixed together.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

If the ingredients are OK, maybe we should blame the Chef for not using them well....
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    While they are an exciting team and a nice change to the fabric of the AL East this year, I'd caution against assuming the organization can spin this talent into a consistent winner. Accumulating talent is one thing; building a dynasty is entirely another. They can be perfectly distinct tasks.
    So far they've done a good job at accumulating the talent, and now the mystery remains to see if they can consistently yield positive results.

They're definitely in a much better state of affairs than the Reds, that's for dang sure.

Turn Off Ads?