Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Janish gets the call....

Janish gets the call....

No shock there I don't think. Let's hope the kid grabs it and doesn't let go.

Louisville Bats shortstop Paul Janish was a bit surprised when manager Rick Sweet pulled him from last night's 5-3 victory over the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees before he could bat in the eighth inning.
    Advertisement

"He kind of looked at me startled," Sweet said. "I said, 'Hey, you're going to the big leagues; I don't have time to play you here.' "

Cincinnati director of player personnel Terry Reynolds called Sweet's cell phone in the middle of the eighth and told him that Reds shortstop Jeff Keppinger was injured in last night's game against Florida and that Janish was the man to replace him.

"It's still setting in," Janish said. "It's kind of surreal."

The call-up came at a perfect time for the 25-year-old Houston native. It just so happened that his mother, Debbie, was at last night's game and was set to stay the entire week. His father, Tom, was scheduled to fly here from Houston on Friday.

After being pulled from the game, Janish immediately showered and joined his mother among the 7,348 in the Louisville Slugger Field stands to tell her the news. He also called his father.

"It came at a really good time," he said. "I feel good pretty much doing everything right now, which is ideal. That's half the battle. Hopefully, it will carry over."

Janish, a defensive wizard, will make his major league debut after hitting .293 with the Bats this season. In his last six games he was 9 for 20 with a homer and four RBIs.

"When he came up last year, he struggled at first offensively," Sweet said. "He's matured into a very good player. He deserves this. He's ready to go up there and play and help out."

The Bats made it four straight victories -- their longest winning streak this season -- as pitcher Adam Pettyjohn (4-0) remained perfect in his eighth start.

He had anything but a perfect first inning. He walked leadoff batter Brett Gardner, gave up a bunt single to Justin Christian, then hit Jason Lane to load the bases with none out. But Pettyjohn buckled down, allowing just one run.

The Bats took the lead for good with a three-run second. Janish and Drew T. Anderson had RBI singles, and Janish scored the third run on sheer hustle. When Gardner fell backward on the warning track in center field while catching Andy Green's drive, Janish tagged and scored all the way from second.

The Yankees loaded the bases with none out in the seventh, and reliever Tyler Pelland walked in a run. But Gary Majewski came on and got Christian to ground into a double play and Lane to fly out to center.

The Bats added an insurance run in the seventh on Jolbert Cabrera's triple off right fielder Matt Carson's glove and Jay Bruce's RBI single.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Janish gets the call....

I was hoping that Janish would get some playing time this year just not due to an injury. He has a great glove. Lets see if he can hit a little.
    An OPS of .700 would be fine.

If he's as good defensively as billed, and he can hit .250-.260, I don't see why we should let him go back down at all.

For all the poor at bats Patterson has brought, seeing him defensively has been impressive, I'm hoping Janish is that kind of defender in relation to what we've run out at SS since Larkins prime.

The official announcement from the Reds.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

CINCINNATI -- As expected, Reds shortstop Jeff Keppinger was placed on the 15-day disabled list Wednesday because of a fractured left kneecap.

Cincinnati called up shortstop Paul Janish from Triple-A Louisville to replace Keppinger on the 25-man roster.

Keppinger fouled a pitch hard off of his left leg in the second inning of Tuesday's 5-3 Reds win over the Florida, but didn't leave the game until he was lifted for a pinch-hitter in the fourth. An X-ray revealed the fracture, but an MRI exam was scheduled for Wednesday.

This is Janish's first promotion to the Major Leagues. In 35 games for Louisville, the 25-year-old batted .293 with four home runs and 20 RBIs. The 2004 fifth-round Draft pick was also on a seven-game hitting streak.

Janish was 1-for-2 in Tuesday's game vs. Scranton when he was lifted for a pinch-hitter and informed he was going to the big leagues in the wake of Keppinger's injury.

The Reds have assigned Janish to wear No. 7.
    Wearing number 7? The ghosts of Juan Castro!

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    The official announcement from the Reds.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Wearing number 7? The ghosts of Juan Castro!

I can't believe they haven't retired his number yet.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I'm fairly amazed we didn't deal Volquez to the Rockies to get him back.

But I digress.

I hope Janish fields as well as Castro was supposed to field.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I can't believe they haven't retired his number yet.
    They will hang it up with manos de oro over the top
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Come on Janish we need a real all around SS and one who comes cheap to boot. We're rooting for ya.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

we need a real all around SS
    Janish is defense first. His ceiling offensively is pretty low, though he may become adequate over time. Just don't expect much.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Will he start or will we see Hairston Jr at SS every day?

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
    don't know yet. IMO Janish should definitely start when the strikeout pitchers ( Harang and Volquez ) are NOT on the mound. the other guys need all the help they can get and we can't afford to give up outs. we can't have cueto on the mound thinking 'i have to strike everyone out because my defense is terrible'

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Janish is defense first. His ceiling offensively is pretty low, though he may become adequate over time. Just don't expect much.
    Is he Keppinger's opposite? (though I think Kepp's defense may be better than Paul's hitting, though that's just a gut feeling)

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
    Don't know about every day but it's Hairston tonight, according to Fay.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Don't know about every day but it's Hairston tonight, according to Fay.
    Hairston is an awful SS. Dusty continues to defy odds...

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Hairston is an awful SS. Dusty continues to defy odds...
    Not really. I'd say that the odds are completely in favor of Dusty making boneheaded decisions.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?