Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fay update on Homer Bailey with quotes from Terry Reynolds

Fay update on Homer Bailey with quotes from Terry Reynolds

Update on last year's Jay Bruce
    Posted by JohnFay at 5/29/2008 12:04 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Homer Bailey was last year's Jay Bruce. His debut -- a 4-3 victory over Cleveland -- was one of the electric moments of 2007. Striking out Dave Dellucci with the bases loaded and reds leading 3-2 got the loudest roar of the year.

Bailey ended going 4-2 with 5.76 ERA. The year included a return to Louisville to get things straightened out.

Bailey has been in Louisville all this year, or course. He was very good his last time out -- six innings, five hits, one run, four walks, four strikeouts. But Bailey had allowed at four runs or more in his previous four starts. Overall, he's 4-4 with a 4.05 ERA. His hits per inning -- 63 in 66 2/3 -- show his stuff is still good.

But there's been talk about him not doing what the Reds have asked. Not playing well with others and generally being a jerk.

Terry Reynolds, the Reds farm director, was in Columbus for Bailey's last outing.

"The stuff was there," Reynolds said. "He walked too many. But he pitched well. He looked good."

What about the talk of him not being with the program?

"That's not true," Reynolds said. "He's got a good working relationship with (pitching coach) Ted Power and (manager) Rick Sweet."

I think Bailey gets bad rap because he is not media friendly. I wrote about that during spring training. He could take a PR lesson from Bruce. But if Bailey can come up here and get people out, fans don't care. Some guys who are awful with the media are great players.

I think having Daryl Thompson at Louisville may help Bailey. Competition is a good thing.

http://beta.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Re: Fay update on Homer Bailey with quotes from Terry Reynolds

Well this is a different story than from what we've heard on this board lately. It's good to know that Bailey isn't what he's protrayed on this board.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Well this is a different story than from what we've heard on this board lately. It's good to know that Bailey isn't what he's protrayed on this board.
    Well, its kind of hard to tell one way or another. I guess it depends on who we are willing to believe.

For arguments sake Reynolds could be sticking up for one of his players and sort of covering his backside at the same time. It is sort of his responsibility to make sure Homer is following instruction.

GL

But hasn't most of Bailey's bad PR stemed from Hal McCoy?
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

I think Bailey gets bad rap because he is not media friendly. I wrote about that during spring training. He could take a PR lesson from Bruce. But if Bailey can come up here and get people out, fans don't care. Some guys who are awful with the media are great players.
    Good to hear from a media guy. I doubt McCoy's able to muster the same perspective -- he's too busy slapping "good guy" or "jerk" labels on all the young 'uns.

Really, what else is Terry Reynolds going to say? He's not going to say negative things about a player to the press.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Really, what else is Terry Reynolds going to say? He's not going to say negative things about a player to the press.
    Maybe so but it's just a little nice to hear something good about the guy. Personally I'm tired of hearing that he pitches hung over, he should be DFA, etc after a few bad outings.

The "good news" about Homer Bailey is that he isn't Matt Belisle.
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

Quote Originally Posted by smoke6 View Post
    But hasn't most of Bailey's bad PR stemed from Hal McCoy?
    That's what I thought - seemed most of the bad Bailey stories originated from McCoy (and how would he know what is going on down in Louisville?)
    Frankly, I couldn't give a flying goose if Bailey is media-friendly or not - I just want to see him be a good pitcher in the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by smoke6 View Post
    The "good news" about Homer Bailey is that he isn't Matt Belisle.
    Or Eric Milton, or either of the Jimmy's, etc....

Fay catches a lot of flak around here, but I think it's important to pat him on the back for this.

He looks into the Bailey situation. Offers a perspective that shows people in his business should lay off the kid. May make him more unpopular in the media dining room, but he gets credit from me.

Not that that means much.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I don't care if he is an a-hole but the guy has got to start pitching with some control, let alone command. Until then....

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    I don't care if he is an a-hole but the guy has got to start pitching with some control, let alone command. Until then....

Put another way -- it's rather unfair to stereotype a young pitcher who, as far as I know, has never had a serious off-field problem. If he was starring down in Louisville, perhaps there would be fewer jabs.

I'm much more interested in his pitching than I am about the media's view of his personality.

Until Bailey starts performing like a 1st round draft pick, he'll continually get picked on in Cincinnati. It's a sad, but true tale.

End of story.

thorn

There is one of the thing that might be getting over looked here. Is Power the guy responsible for getting Homer ready for the ML's and if so maybe Power is the one to blame. Or is he getting directions from Pole, whom I have no confidence in anway. Basically who determines what is needed for Homer to get promoted, Pole or Power?

Turn Off Ads?