Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Griffey Prank on Fogg

Griffey Prank on Fogg

Courtesy of C. Trent Rosecrans' Blog:

Big League gag
    Wednesday, May 14, 2008, 04:31 PM EST [Reds]

Reds reliever Josh Fogg walked into the clubhouse Wednesday and couldn't find his glove.

It's not that his glove wasn't in his locker, but it's that it was behind 60 boxes of pennies, weighing 16 pounds each and worth $25 each.

Ken Griffey Jr. owed Fogg $1,500.

"When you owe a man $1,500, you pay him $1,500," Griffey said.

Fogg, couldn't believe it. He said Griffey told him he'd pay him in pennies, but he didn't believe it.

"I'd like to thank the people at National City for making it happen," Griffey said.

Not to mention the clubhouse crew that brought in the pennies and stacked them in Fogg's locker.

"I'm going to take them to the bullpen and count them, I'm free for about nine innings," Fogg said.

Bullpen catcher Mike Stefanski offered Fogg a $1,000 check for the pile and said he'd move them out of his locker for them. Fogg asked Stefanski if he wanted to help count them in the bullpen.

Griffey said he wanted to have them delivered in bags, but he would have felt bad for the people at the bank who would have to count them when Fogg deposited his booty.

Noticing the Brinks stamp on the boxes, Fogg said, "They probably brought them in the Brinks truck with Griffey's paycheck."

Still, Fogg was in disbelief that it actually happened.

"There's not much with a bank I can't do," Griffey said. "Including bouncing it."

Everyone in the clubhouse was pretty impressed by the joke.

"Someone had to keep everyone in this locker room from killing each other," Griffey said.

__________________________________________________ ____________

What a great gag! Also, in Rosecrans' blog about Keppinger's injury, Jeff talks about how Griffey really sat down and talked with him and calmed him down last night. That is a true veteran looking out for young upcoming players. With all of the trade talk swirling around Griffey, it really makes me sad to think he may not retire as a Cincinnati Red.
    "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?!"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Griffey Prank on Fogg

good lord, thats a lot of pennies
    Whatcha gonna do, brother, when Brennemania runs wild on you!!

That's classic. If he could get Griffey to autograph a box of those, he could auction it off. That would be a great charity thing.

My only question is why Griffey is borrowing money.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    That's classic. If he could get Griffey to autograph a box of those, he could auction it off. That would be a great charity thing.

My only question is why Griffey is borrowing money.
    I am sure it was a payoff for a wager.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

I would LOVE to have someone pull a prank on me where I end up with $1500. I don't care if its yen, pesos, pennies, whatever.

Griffey lost the bet that he'd be hurt by this point in the season.

So now that this has been made public that means Josh Fogg has to pay taxes on that extra income right?

This isn't even funny to me, it's just dumb. Seems like kind of a jerk thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    This isn't even funny to me, it's just dumb. Seems like kind of a jerk thing to do.
    It does sound mean, but atleast Griffey had it packaged properly so the bank would accept them. Fogg makes $1,000,000 this year, so I don't think $1,500 will kill him.

Quote Originally Posted by summerplight View Post
    So now that this has been made public that means Josh Fogg has to pay taxes on that extra income right?
    I wonder if any one has paid the I.R.S in pennies. Then again you
    don't want to tick those guys off.
    The Hunt for a Reds October.

Cool prank. I have a couple of relatives who, every Christmas, come up with creative ways to gift cash. My favorite was $25 of quarters spread out in a line and sandwiched between 2 strips of duct tape.

I also liked the tidbit about Griffey talking to Keppinger. It just goes to show you that there are different types of leadership. Some run out front and draw tons of attention, others lead quietly. Both can accomplish the same thing but do it in their own ways.

Griffey is a good guy. I'm sure he's as disappointed as anyone as to how many injuries he has had and how his time in Cincinnati has been less than perfect.

The Griffey family has given our fan base a lot of great memories. He did it the right way...without the use of performance enhancing drugs.

I hope that wherever Junior ends up....even if he stays with us....that he has an injury free rest of his career.

Junior's a class act, but also has a funny side to him. This penny prank must have been hilarious, and far surpasses anything I could come up with.

Please tell me you are kidding. Oh my.

Are you kidding? Junior isn't a jerk at all. If your serious, I think someone needs to lighten up.
    because at the end of the day, they still are the Chicago Cubs, and they will figure out a way to screw this whole thing up--Marty B.

Turn Off Ads?