Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does O'Brien Deserve Any Credit?

Does O'Brien Deserve Any Credit?

Does the man that drafted Jay Bruce and signed Undrafted FA Johnny Cueto (among some other things) get any credit for the work he did to revamp our minor leagues after years of abuse from Jim Bowden. I don't think he should still be GM, but after looking back at his drafting ability, he deserves some credit.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Does O'Brien Deserve Any Credit?

Obie was just over matched as a GM he got the job because he worked cheap and was a Reds fan growing up but he is a quality baseball man and is a great talent evaluator.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Yes, yes he does

He really didn't have much to do with it. That is the scouting directors job not the GMs.

Quote Originally Posted by tommycash View Post
    Does the man that drafted Jay Bruce and signed Undrafted FA Johnny Cueto (among some other things) get any credit for the work he did to revamp our minor leagues after years of abuse from Jim Bowden. I don't think he should still be GM, but after looking back at his drafting ability, he deserves some credit.

Johnny Cueto's credit goes to the Johnny Almarez

Quote Originally Posted by Grande Donkey View Post
    He really didn't have much to do with it. That is the scouting directors job not the GMs.
    Bingo!

Absolutely!

The REDS' Minor League system was graded to be one of the 5 worst for at least 5 years in a row before he got here, and 14 months after he left it was ranked 4th best.

I think some credit has to go to the man in charge.

Too much credit and too much blame usually goes to the man in charge. Having quality people under you is what makes the boss looks good.

If you want to give him credit for getting lucky on a few drafts, that's fine. Bruce was an easy pick at the time, thanks to the awesome scouting work by the late Brian Wilson.

I refuse to give O'Brien any credit, simply because he had some of the dumbest organizational rules I've ever seen, like the "take a strike before you swing", and his tandem-pitcher ideas.

If you haven't seen the article on Brian Wilson from a few years ago, it's worth reading again.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Too much credit and too much blame usually goes to the man in charge. Having quality people under you is what makes the boss looks good.
    I agree you have to great people working underneath you but in any great organization it starts with a vision. He has the vision, usually the person who is at the top. Then it is up to the leader to motivate their employees to carry out that vision. Bill Gates & Henry Ford had outstanding visions but they couldn't do it by themselves, but without their vision how quickly would the automobile industry and PC industry have developed? My guess not as quick as it did.

So to answer Tommycash's question, yes I think Dan O'brien deserves credit for the way our minor league system has developed. As Kingspoint pointed out when Dan O took over the Reds minor league system was a complete joke now it is rated 4th best. I would think all of us would be in agreement you don't turn around a minor league system overnight, it is not the NFL.

Bottomline.

OBrien netted the Reds:
    Cueto, Bruce, Homer, Votto (I think..maybe he was a Bowden leftover), Travis Wood.

Yes that is a big part of our future and credit for it occuring under his regime is warranted. If Stubbs, Frazier, Waring, Hamilton for Volquez, etc..work out, we'd be giving Krivsky credit, why not the same for the past GM as well.

Well, I do think DanO and Wayne Krivsky both had the right idea in building this franchise from the ground up and building a solid farm system. And to that, it takes patience. Jim Bowden was a win now guy who constantly traded away the farm system and usually for questionable pieces. Castellini appears to be a win now owner, and that can be dangerous when trying to develop a farm system.

No, O'Brien was horrible. Drafting ability in baseball is largely due to luck and what your scouts are telling you.

Quote Originally Posted by Orodle View Post
    No, O'Brien was horrible. Drafting ability in baseball is largely due to luck and what your scouts are telling you.
    To me luck is when preparation meets opportunity. Sure some years there are going to be better players available to draft than other years but the preparation that goes into player evaluation is much more than luck.

Turn Off Ads?