Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the Reds and the short term (3 years) future

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

27 18.88%
  • B

68 47.55%
  • C

36 25.17%
  • D

10 6.99%
  • F

2 1.40%
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about Reds/Walt/Cast right now?

How do you feel about Reds/Walt/Cast right now?

The Chapman signing seemed to bring a new wave of optimism to the board.

Personally, I was encouraged that the Reds made an offer to Byrd and were supposedly in play to get JJ Hardy. ( I can understand if people don't believe that rumor. )

We Reds fans have been beat down the past 10 years, so I understand the gloomy mood.

So, the poll is: How do you feel about this club right now, and it's short term future (within 3 years) I'm going to use letter grades.

Edit: I am going to say "B". Maybe they don't deserve that, but as a fan, I am going to cling to hope
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How do you feel about Reds/Walt/Cast right now?

Solid B.

While many have accused Walt of being asleep at the wheel he has been pretty active. For the most part he hasn't disrupted the minor league system and he hasn't handed out any large contracts.

I believe Walt has a plan and has been working on his plan. I also think that Walt keeps his cards very close to the vest. This years team is better than last years and last years team was better than the previous. While I am not overly hopeful for a contending 2010 season, I believe they can "if things work in their favor".

I voted a C.

I feel much better about the reds as a franchise with the Chapman signing because to me it was the first move that Walt has made that indicated he was paying any attention at all to the franchise.

I hope the Rolen move works out well. I hope the kids get a chance to play and perform as well as we all think they will.

In the end I think the reds will go as far as Dusty Baker can take them. He's the one responsible for sorting through the LF candidates and making sure the right guys get the AB's. Likewise, he's gotta give the extra starts to the right guys in order for this team to succeed. While I think he's head and shoulders over Narron in terms of running a team, I don't have a whole lot of confidence in his ability to pick the right 25 guys to come out of spring training with.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

I went with D, up previously from an F after the Chapman signing. No amount of positive things can overshadow what for me is unforgivable keeping Dusty on, still stuck with Taveras and telling me your gonna contend with Janish as the 1st and only option at SS. In my mind we can only truly contend if every thing goes right and with Paul and potentially Taveras at the top of the lineup the offense will not go right. Also I am still quite skeptical of Walt's ability in general and as long as he and Bavasi are around I will feel a little uneasy. I hang on to the hope that '10 will be the last of 2 of those mistakes (Dusty/Willy) and so that's how I can sleep at night that the future may yet be bright.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Raised my grade to a "C". Parlay some of the youngsters into a legit LF bat to back-up the Rolen trade and the Chapman signing, and I cross over to fully changing my tune. Flip Francisco, Wood, and another piece for Nelson Cruz or someone like him and I am full mea culpa mode. Particularly if they will cut bait on Taveras as simply admit the mistake.

Feel ? What does what "I" feel have to do with end results? Ok, I will let the end results say how I feel and grade accordingly.

Bob Castellini? Well, I am just feeling overwhelmed with love, joy and positive anticipation, like a kid waiting for ones parents to tell them on Christmas that we are too poor to celebrate. When they wrap up the same old tie from season to season and try to put a new face and spin on it. Here's your new bone kid, now go play with the dog.

Bob Castellini’s End Results - New ownership, looks too much like the old ownership, Oh maybe that is because old ownership is the purse behind new ownership.
    Code:
    A snap shot of Bob follows right below this line. 
    	W L    PCT 	GB 	RS 	RA  DIFF
    2009 	78 84 .481 	13 	673 	723   -50 
    2008 	74 88 .457 	23.5 	704 	800   -96 
    2007 	72 90 .444 	13 	783 	853   -70
    2006 	80 82 .494 	3.5 	749 	801   -52
    Jocketty, new GM looks too much like the old gm’s on paper
    Offense
    Code:
    Snap shot of Walt and Wayne’s collaborations, who Bob hired and directed
    RK	Year	  BA  OBP  SLG  OPS 	RS
    11th	2009	.247 .318 .394 .712 	673
    12th	2008	.247 .321 .408 .729 	704
    7th	2007	.267 .335 .436 .772 	783
    9th	2006	.257 .336 .432 .768 	749
    Baker, speed kills when misapplied in the wrong hands, when they ignore OBP with their love for a theory in a Patterson and Taveras
    Code:
    A full color photo of Mr. Baker, and his run scoring machine as it declines year to year
    Team OPS		Team OBP	Team SLG	
    Year 	 OPS		 OBP		 SLG		Runs
    2009	.712		.318		.394		673
    2008	.729		.321		.408		704
    2007	.772		.335		.436		783
    2006	.768		.336		.432		749
    A group photo of the Reds and their Central division buddies. Courtesy of Bob the “losing stops now”, Mr. Baker, “I love speed”, and Walt, “this is going to take time”, but, ’we like the team that we have now”.
    Code:
    Central Division
    Team		BABIP 2009	BABIP 2008	BABIP 2007	BABIP 2006
    Reds		.285		.280		.301		.293
    Pirates		.299		.293		.307		.313
    Astros		.296		.299		.294		.289
    Brewers		.309		.290		.292		.303
    Cubs		.299		.324		.311		.296
    Cardinals	.299		.315		.306		.294

2009	BABIP	March/April	May	June	July	August	Sept/October
    Reds	.285	.284		.296	.263	.269	.279	.316

2008	BABIP	March/April	May	June	July	August	Sept/October
    Reds	.280	.278		.303	.258	.288	.269	.284

2007	BABIP	March/April	May	June	July	August	Sept/October
    Reds	.301	.279		.293	.276	.298	.337	.315

2006	BABIP	March/April	May	June	July	August	Sept/October
    Reds	.293	.301		.284	.300	.318	.283	.272
    Let's not let my feelings get in the way of what we have known and seen. Even paid for.

Jack Nicholson:

I feel pretty,
    Oh so pretty,
    I feel pretty and witty and gay,

Jack Nicholson: Lalalalalalalala

I feel charming,
    Oh so charming,
    It's alarming how charming i feel,

And so pretty that I hardly beleive im real,
    Jack Nicholson: lalalalalalala,
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 01-15-2010 at 12:36 PM.

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Other than Rolen and now Chapman, Jocketty hasn't made the overall impact that I believe the previous 2 Reds GM's did (primarily with the draft). To what degree all 3 GM's have had their hands tied financially speaking is difficult to say. We have a glaring need for a righthanded hitting LF'er (Jermaine Dye?) and that whole issue wasn't adequately addressed all of last year by Walt and his staff and continues unsettled even now. Bob Castellini seems to step up at strange times but at least he does, contrary to Carl -just want to break even- Linder. With the Reds finishing 15th out of 16 NL teams last year in hitting, I almost gave Jocketty/Castellini a "D".
    Overall I give them a "C" but please quit pleading small market poverty!

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Solid B.

While many have accused Walt of being asleep at the wheel he has been pretty active. For the most part he hasn't disrupted the minor league system and he hasn't handed out any large contracts.

I believe Walt has a plan and has been working on his plan. I also think that Walt keeps his cards very close to the vest. This years team is better than last years and last years team was better than the previous. While I am not overly hopeful for a contending 2010 season, I believe they can "if things work in their favor".
    Gonna go with a B, but would say it is more B+ than B or B-. Not quite an A.

This regime is definitely different than the manic ways of 2006-2008, but I think it is indisputable that the team feels more in control than before. It just seems like the FO knows what they are doing and where they are headed.

High five!

Although I like the Chapman signing and didn't hate the Rolen signing, he's still a "C" as predicated by the Reds position in the final standings. In 2010, health and experience might make the offense and starting pitching less bad but I'm not certain it gets the team the division.

They have a plan.

That's something no Red GM has had since the early 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Although I like the Chapman signing and didn't hate the Rolen signing, he's still a "C" as predicated by the Reds position in the final standings. In 2010, health and experience might make the offense and starting pitching less bad but I'm not certain it gets the team the division.
    Do you think it would have been possible for anyone to pump out a winner last season, looking at the roster that was inherited and FA/trade market of 2008-2009?

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I went with D, up previously from an F after the Chapman signing. No amount of positive things can overshadow what for me is unforgivable keeping Dusty on, still stuck with Taveras and telling me your gonna contend with Janish as the 1st and only option at SS. In my mind we can only truly contend if every thing goes right and with Paul and potentially Taveras at the top of the lineup the offense will not go right. Also I am still quite skeptical of Walt's ability in general and as long as he and Bavasi are around I will feel a little uneasy. I hang on to the hope that '10 will be the last of 2 of those mistakes (Dusty/Willy) and so that's how I can sleep at night that the future may yet be bright.
    well said, I went with D as well (also up from a big F). The Chapman signing would seem to indicate that there may be a plan however I have yet to understand how the Rolen acquisition fits in with said plan
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    If the Reds go into 10 with Wily starting regularly in CF I will cede your point...but I don't see that happening in any shape or form.

B (maybe an incomplete). The Chapman deal on its own was a solid A, IMO. An overall grade though, is dependant upon how he follows up. IMO, he needs to upgrade SS (at a minimum) for an A, failing to do so makes it a low B/high C, as far as I'm concerned.

Add a SS upgrade, a run-producing LF and/or a decent upgrade behind the plate and he gets an A+. Walt has some decent chips to work with now. How wisely he uses them factors into the final grade also.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I went with an A. 2010 I figure .500. I feel really good about 2011 and 2012 though.

Turn Off Ads?