Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracking Adam Dunn on the All-Time Career Home Run List

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Re: Tracking Adam Dunn on the All-Time Career Home Run List

This is my first time opening this thread because I just thought it'd be another anti-Dunn pissing contest. Surprisingly, this is an excellent thread. Thank you so much for all the work that has gone into it--I'm really enjoying it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I am going to go ahead and tie up the loose ends in this thread. I was too depressed after the Dunn salary purge to update the thread with the homers that Adam smacked after joining the Diamondbacks.

After reading back through this thread it really made me realize just how important he was to my enjoyment of watching Reds baseball. Every time he came to the plate you knew he could change the game and maybe even make some history. We don't have anybody left on the team that will be making any history any time soon. I have decided to continue closely following Adam's career as he climbs the charts and mingles with the game's greatest players.

Adam hit 8 homers with Arizona to give him a total of 40 for the 2008 season. He has hit exactly 40 homers in the last 4 consecutive seasons. How is that for consistency?

Dunn has now blasted 278 career home runs, which places him at #146 on the all-time list of the game's greatest sluggers.

When Adam hits his first homer of 2009 he will tie former Reds great and fan favorite Ted Kluszewski. He will also pass former Reds greats Paul O'Neill and Eric Davis in the first month of the season.

If Dunn is able to hit 40 homers or more again next year he will move into the top 100 on the all-time list -- at the age of 29.

Had he remained a Red all season he would have led the Reds in HRs, RBIs, BBs, OBP, SLG and OPS. He would have been 1 Run short of leading the team in that category also.

Adam had another very productive season in 2008. He ranked in the top 10 in the league in the following categories:

1st in Walks
    2nd in Home Runs
    2nd in HR/AB
    9th in OBP
    9th in OPS
    10th in Offensive Win %

Dunn is also doing very well on the career charts for all active players. He is in the top 25 of all active players in the following categories:

3rd in AB/HR
    21st in OBP
    23rd in Off. Win %
    24th in BBs
    25th in SLG
    25th in OPS
    25th in OPS+

Players that Adam Dunn passed on the career home run list in 2008:
    278 Ryan Klesko
    277 Rudy York
    275 Roger Maris, Dean Palmer, Brian Downing
    274 Dante Bichette
    272 Steve Garvey
    271 George Scott, Raul Mondesi, Tom Brunanski
    269 Miguel Tejada
    268 Joe Morgan (HOF), Brooks Robinson (HOF), Gorman Thomas
    267 George Hendrick, Scott Rolen
    266 Vic Wertz, Garret Anderson
    265 George Bell
    264 Bobby Thomson
    262 Danny Tartabull
    260 Javy Lopez, Tim Wallach
    259 Magglio Ordonez
    256 Vada Pinson, Bob Allison, Larry Parrish, Alfonso Soriano
    255 Kirk Gibson, John Mayberry, John Olerud
    253 Larry Doby (HOF), Joe Gordon, Andre Thornton, Todd Zeile
    252 Joe Torre, Brett Boone, Bobby Murcer
    251 Robin Yount (HOF), Cy Williams, Tony Armas
    249 Jose Valentin
    248 Goose Goslin (HOF), Ted Simmons, Derrek Lee
    247 Vern Stephens, Matt Stairs
    246 Ken Singleton
    245 Mickey Tettleton, Deron Johnson
    244 Hack Wilson (HOF), Lou Whitaker, Tony Clark
    242 Dusty Baker, Roy Campanella (HOF), Wally Berger, Sal Bando
    241 Jesse Barfield, Cecil Cooper, Rick Monday
    240 Roberto Clemente (HOF), Jeff Burroughs
    239 Ken Caminiti, Dolph Camilli
    238 Ray Lankford, Earl Averill (HOF)

(HOF) = Hall of Fame

Adam Dunn has passed 66 players including 9 Hall of Famers this season.

Great thread, always one of my favorites. I'm glad it will keep going.

I'm no Dunn apologist, I recognised it flaws as a player... But I'm still a fan and always will be. There are not many players in the game I am a fan of.. Its a short list to be sure. But I will always follow his career closely, and I love his game.

Go Dunn! Hope to see you land somewhere in the national west so I can see you more frequently when you visit coors.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Time to start tracking Jay Bruce.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

I came across an interesting article on Yahoo by Gordon Edes. It discusses Adam Dunn as a member of the USA team in the World Baseball Classic this spring.

The article is very long, so I am just posting the first few paragraphs because they are relevant to this thread.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

The world expects nothing less.

There has to be at least one player in red, white, and blue who is bigger, stronger, and hits a baseball consistently farther than anyone else on the planet. Who looks like he could bench-press a semi-trailer, swing a telephone pole, and measures his home runs by how many state lines they cross.

And you might as well make him a Texan since that fits the global stereotype of America.

True story, one worth repeating now that 6-foot-6, 275-pound Adam Dunn – born in Houston – has been enlisted to represent his country in the World Baseball Classic: While playing for the Cincinnati Reds in 2004, Dunn hit a ball off the Dodgers’ Jose Lima that started in Ohio and landed in Kentucky. The ball cleared the batting eye in dead center field in Great American Ballpark, left the premises and splashed down in the Ohio River, which is considered part of the neighboring state.

The home run was estimated to have travelled 535 feet, still the longest hit in the history of the six-year-old park.

“It actually landed on a piece of driftwood,” said Reds publicist Rob Butcher, who is serving Team USA in the same capacity, “and floated down the river.”

Dunn is the only player to hit 40 or more home runs in each of the last five seasons. He hit 40 last season, which he split between the Reds and Arizona Diamondbacks. Twenty-seven of those home runs travelled 400 feet or more, according to Greg Rybarczyk, the former Naval nuclear engineer who tracks such things on his website, hittrackeronline.com. Seven of Dunn’s homers traveled 450 feet or more, including the last one he hit in 2008, a 497-foot blast in Arizona’s Chase Field off the Rockies’ Glendon Rusch on Sept. 27. That was the longest home run hit by anyone last season, and Dunn averaged a major-league best 412.7 feet per homer.
    I found it interesting that Dunn had the longest home run of the season again last year, while also leading the league in average homer length. If he makes square contact it is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    I came across an interesting article on Yahoo by Gordon Edes. It discusses Adam Dunn as a member of the USA team in the World Baseball Classic this spring.

The article is very long, so I am just posting the first few paragraphs because they are relevant to this thread.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

I found it interesting that Dunn had the longest home run of the season again last year, while also leading the league in average homer length. If he makes square contact it is gone.

Love Adam's Bat ,sadly I have concluded though the layers is a DH and that does not fly as a NL player.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

I'm surprised nobody has ever tried to maximize Adam's value by placing him in a massive pitcher-friendly park...RFK would have been good if the Nats still played there. It might slightly effect his homer output, but it would devastate the opponents. If you took a team like the 2009 Cincinnati Reds, built on pitching, defense, and speed, put them in a park with 400 foot fences all around, and added Adam Dunn, you might be unstoppable.
    Just a thought. :

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

Representing Our Nation
    Adam Dunn crosses the plate after hitting a home run against Canada in the World Baseball Classic.

Good for Adam!!!

On Opening Day Adam Dunn hit his 279th career home run. The blast tied him with former Reds great Ted Kluszewski for 145th place on the all-time home run list.

Next up on the list are Paul O'Neill and Carlos Lee with 281 home runs.

Adam's 1st homer as a Washington National was a three-run shot off the Marlins young stud hurler Ricky Nolasco, who became the 197th pitcher Dunn has taken deep. The blast was a towering stand-and-watch shot against the wind. He had another hit that went for a double but would have been a dinger if not for the wind blowing in. Dunn has now hit 6 homers on Opening Day in the last 5 years.

I couldn't find a picture of the Opening Day homer, so I thought I would post one of Adam's taters from the World Baseball Classic instead:

Adam started off 2009 doing the same thing he did all of 2008 -- catching one of the games greatest sluggers on the career home run list. This time it was one of the most popular players in Cincinnati Reds history.

Ted Kluszewski - Played Until Age: 37 Career HR: 279 Career AB: 5,929 Top Season: 49 HRs

The Big Klu made the All Star Team 4 times in a row in the mid-fifties and came in 2nd in the MVP voting in 1954 when he led the league in home runs with 49 and in RBIs with 141. He Set a National League record for scoring runs in consecutive games with 17. He set a major league record by leading all first basemen in fielding percentage for five consecutive years.

Kluszweski played before my time so there are lots of things I didn't know about him until now. I knew he was a giant of a man and a powerful slugger, but I did not know he also hit for an excellent batting average and was a good defensive player. I will post a biography here, but if any of you have any good anecdotes about Big Klu please feel free to post them here. How many of you were fortunate enough to see him play in person?

He was discovered at Indiana University, where he played football as well as baseball. Due to wartime travel restrictions, the Reds, who normally held spring training in Tampa, Florida, were forced to train at the university from 1943 to 1945. Kluszewski drew the attention of Reds' groundskeeper Matty Schwab, who saw Kluszewski blasting balls over an embankment near the baseball diamond that none of the other Reds players were able to get near. Reds scouts were sufficiently impressed, but Kluszewski, who was also a standout tight end on the Hoosiers' football squad, did not immediately sign, because he didn't want to endanger his collegiate football eligibility. Instead, he signed after he graduated in 1946. After batting .325 and .377 in two minor league seasons, he was called up to Cincinnati and became the Reds' starting first baseman at the end of 1948.

Soon after the 6'-2" 240-pound Kluszewski joined the Reds he cut off the sleeves of his uniform, much to the chagrin of the Reds front office. He did it because the tight sleeves constricted his large biceps and shoulders and interfered with his swing. "They got pretty upset, but it was either that or change my swing — and I wasn't about to change my swing" said Kluszewski. Ted Kluszewski also became notorious for his strength. When Hall of Fame manager Leo Durocher was once asked by a writer to name five of the strongest players in baseball he complied. However, when the writer pointed out that he'd left Ted Kluszewski off the list, Durocher huffed and said: "Kluszewski? I'm talking about human beings!"

Ted Kluszewski was selected as an All-Star in four seasons, and was a career .298 hitter with 279 home runs and 1028 RBI. In ten of his fifteen seasons, Kluszewski walked (492) more often than he struck out (365). In 1955, he hit 47 homers while striking out only 40 times. No player since him has hit 40 homers and struck out 40 or fewer times in the same season (Barry Bonds missed duplicating this feat by one strikeout in 2004).

"Big Klu" enjoyed his most productive years from 1953 through 1956, with home run totals of 40, 49, 47 and 35 while driving in over 100 baserunners in each, including a league-leading 141 RBIs in 1954. He also hit .300 or better eight times. Kluszewski also led National League first basemen in fielding percentage five straight years, a major league record.

However, injuries began taking their toll; Kluszewski was limited to playing just four full seasons in his fifteen-year career. He spent his last four seasons switching teams. He was traded to the Pittsburgh Pirates before the 1958 season, and in August 1959 he was sent to the Chicago White Sox to give the team added punch. They eventually won the American League pennant and faced the National League champs, the Los Angeles Dodgers, in the World Series. In the first game at Chicago's Comiskey Park, Kluszewski slugged two home runs and drove in five in an 11-0 rout of the Dodgers. However, the Dodgers would win the next four out of five games and take the series with strong pitching that neutralized the White Sox' hitters — except for Kluszewski, who hit .391 with three home runs and ten RBIs, which tied Gil Hodges' mark set in the same series. About that time, Sox owner Bill Veeck introduced uniforms with players' names on the backs, above the numbers. Veeck deliberately spelled Ted's last name wrong.

When Major League Baseball decided to expand in 1960, Kluszewski was one of the players left unprotected. He was selected by the Los Angeles Angels. Kluszewski was the undisputed star of the Angels' first game ever, on April 11, 1961 against the Baltimore Orioles at Memorial Stadium, belting two home runs off the Orioles' Milt Pappas.

Post-retirement, Kluszewski was a hitting coach, most notably under Sparky Anderson with the Cincinnati Reds during their outstanding teams in the early and mid 1970's, which saw them win World Series championships in 1975 and 1976. In 1979, he became the Reds' minor league hitting instructor, a position he held until 1986, when he suffered a massive heart attack and underwent emergency bypass surgery. He retired afterward.

Kluszewski, Gus Bell and Bob Thurman became the second trio of teammates with a three-home run game in the same season, sharing a major league single season record with Duke Snider, Roy Campanella and Tommy Brown of the 1950 Brooklyn Dodgers and Cory Snyder, Joe Carter and Brook Jacoby of the 1987 Cleveland Indians.

Kluszewski was inducted into the Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame and Museum in 1962. Before the inaugural game at Great American Ball Park in 2003 the Reds dedicated a bronze statue of Kluszewski on the Crosley Terrace area outside the main gate. Statues of Crosley Field era stars Ernie Lombardi, Joe Nuxhall, and Frank Robinson were erected later. Ted Kluszewski is prominently mentioned in the first line of the chorus to Terry Cashman's 1981 song "Talkin' Baseball," a musical tribute to baseball.

Ted Kluszewski died on March 29, 1988 in Cincinnati at age 63. His #18 was retired by the Reds on July 18, 1998 before a game against the visiting San Diego Padres at Cinergy Field

Adam Dunn - Current Age: 29 Career HR: 279 Career AB: 3881 Top Season: 46 HRs

Adam is off to a great start for the Nationals. His batting average is over .300 and his OPS is over 1.200 and he leads the team in RBIs and Runs. It is still too early to mean anything though.

Players that Adam Dunn has passed on the career home run list in 2009:

279 Ted Kluszewski

Note: Please keep this thread about Dunn's historical accomplishments and the players he is passing. No controversial comments please.
    Last edited by AtomicDumpling; 04-11-2009 at 02:54 AM.

The best thread on redszone is back. Great write-up on Klu.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

He looks like a giant compared to Roberts
    Most Vottomatic Player

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    So do horse jockeys

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    When I see that pic of Roberts and Dunn together, Dunn just reminds me of Shrek.

Dunno why.

Glad this thread is back and better than ever!

Couldn't agree more.

Huzzah!
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Turn Off Ads?