Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Ejected for attempting headfirst slide in Yankee Stadium... during commencement!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Ejected for attempting headfirst slide in Yankee Stadium... during commencement!

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05152008...ut__110915.htm

YER OUT!
    NYU GRAD'S STADIUM STUNT
    By KEVIN FASICK and RITA DELFINER
    May 15, 2008 --

A graduating New York University student was ejected from his commencement at Yankee Stadium yesterday after he was caught trying to steal home.

William Lopez, 21, of Manhasset, LI, was among 6,000 students who sat in the box seats behind home plate and along the first base and third base lines at the first graduation to take place at the House that Ruth Built.

NYU, which held its 176th commencement at the storied stadium because of construction at Washington Square Park, had a strict ground rule.

"The students had been repeatedly advised . . . that they were strictly prohibited from being on the field," said NYU spokesman John Beckman.
    About three-quarters of the way through the ceremony, Lopez, wearing his gown and mortarboard, leaped over the right-field fence onto the field.

He sprinted across the outfield behind second base and made it to third, as many in the crowd, which also included 20,000 guests, cheered him on.

Lopez, a Yankee and Met fan, turned for home as stadium security and NYPD cops tackled him just feet from his goal.

"I was trying to make it to home plate," Lopez told The Post after he was issued a summons for trespass. "I wanted to do a head-first dive. I almost made it, only 10 feet to go."

The Tisch School of the Arts grad said cops told him, "You ruined your graduation, and I said, 'Are you kidding me? The crowd was cheering me on.' "

Lopez's father, Bob Lopez, said when he saw the figure running on the field, "My wife asked, 'Could that be William?' I said, 'No. That kid's an athlete."

His son said, "This is the first and last graduation at Yankee Stadium. There's no better stage than this.' "

But Beckman said that "the Yankees were very gracious hosts and we were grateful to be allowed to be there, and it is always disappointing to us when one member of our community thinks there's a special set of rules for him or her."
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ejected for attempting headfirst slide in Yankee Stadium... during commencement!

Everyone thinks they are special.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

They call me "chef"

Re: Ejected for attempting headfirst slide in Yankee Stadium... during commencement!

Have any of you ever had to watch and sit through a college graduation? This NEEDED to happen if only to preserve the crowd's sanity.

Lopez, a Yankee and Met fan,
    is that possible?

He had to be a fine arts major...
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    is that possible?
    Not if you're sane
    Go Gators!

He went to NYU, its likely the best thing he'll ever do with his life.

It had to be said.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Tisch School of the Arts is a very good school. I didn't realize people actually GRADUATED, however. I thought that they either quit school and became star directors or full-time waiters.
    Stick to your guns.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

10 Feet short.... C'Mon where's your WILL?
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Lopez's father, Bob Lopez, said when he saw the figure running on the field, "My wife asked, 'Could that be William?' I said, 'No. That kid's an athlete."

Best part of the article!
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    10 Feet short.... C'Mon where's your WILL?
    You gotta want it!

"I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    You gotta want it!

Mandelbaum! Mandelbaum! Mandelbaum!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer View Post
    Have any of you ever had to watch and sit through a college graduation? This NEEDED to happen if only to preserve the crowd's sanity.
    You aren't kidding, I didn't even go to mine because it was going to be over 4 hours long.

Turn Off Ads?