Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rockies Could Trade Holliday

Rockies Could Trade Holliday

per mlb trade rumours

"Rockies Could Trade Holliday

In Ken Rosenthal's latest column, he sees Matt Holliday as a prime candidate to be traded this summer. Rosenthal notes that the Rockies are already ten games back and have very little chance of signing Holliday to an extension. Holliday is signed through '09 with $13MM due next season.

Previously, Rosenthal speculated that the Rockies might be willing to go to six years and $96MM to keep last year's NL MVP runner-up. However, all we know of Holliday's demands are that he wants more than a four-year deal. Rosenthal sees the Indians, Cardinals, Yankees, A's, Tigers, Blue Jays, Mariners, and Mets as potential suitors. This should provide an interesting new storyline for July.

Rosenthal thinks that the Rockies could also seek to move Brian Fuentes and Garrett Atkins. Fuentes is eligible for free agency after this season and Atkins will be in his second year of arbitration eligibility and is not eligible for free agency until after next season.

Rosenthal also suggests that the Rockies may be willing to accept low-level, high-ceiling prospects in return as they are deep in prospects at Double and Triple A."

Would they Take Dunn?? Would they take Stubbs?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Re: Rockies Could Trade Holliday

why would they take Dunn?
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    per mlb trade rumours

"Rockies Could Trade Holliday

In Ken Rosenthal's latest column, he sees Matt Holliday as a prime candidate to be traded this summer. Rosenthal notes that the Rockies are already ten games back and have very little chance of signing Holliday to an extension. Holliday is signed through '09 with $13MM due next season.

Previously, Rosenthal speculated that the Rockies might be willing to go to six years and $96MM to keep last year's NL MVP runner-up. However, all we know of Holliday's demands are that he wants more than a four-year deal. Rosenthal sees the Indians, Cardinals, Yankees, A's, Tigers, Blue Jays, Mariners, and Mets as potential suitors. This should provide an interesting new storyline for July.

Rosenthal thinks that the Rockies could also seek to move Brian Fuentes and Garrett Atkins. Fuentes is eligible for free agency after this season and Atkins will be in his second year of arbitration eligibility and is not eligible for free agency until after next season.

Rosenthal also suggests that the Rockies may be willing to accept low-level, high-ceiling prospects in return as they are deep in prospects at Double and Triple A."

Would they Take Dunn?? Would they take Stubbs?
    Stubbs would fit the bill. Bailey too. Dunn not so much.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

just curious as he is righthanded.. and the reds need righthanded power

Atkins and Holliday both have been significantly different players at Coors versus on the road....
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Atkins and Holliday both have been significantly different players at Coors versus on the road....
    Holliday still OPSs .800 plus on the road. If they Reds could trade Dunn & Jr for prospects. Then get Holliday for prospects that would be awesome.

And GABP projects more as a hitters park than Coors
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Holliday still OPSs .800 plus on the road.
    He plays a little defense too.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    And GABP projects more as a hitters park than Coors
    Yes, but then why pay the high price for a guy who has inflated stats due to his homepark, but is only above-average on the road? In other words, why not target a guy who's overall numbers aren't as good, but who has better away splits than Holliday's away numbers. That guy would get the GABP bump too. For example, I don't know if he is availabe, but compare Matt Holliday to the extremely underrated LF Josh Willingham:

Holliday career
    overall: .319/.382/.554
    home: .364/.426/.664
    away: .274/.337/.445

Willingham career
    overall: .275/.364/.485
    home: .254/.343/.439
    away: .296/.383/.529

Josh Willingham would likely be just as productive of a hitter in GABP as Matt Holliday, if not more so...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Fogg, Freel, Roenicke, and Stubbs for Holliday. Then sign him to a 6 year, $8 Million extension. And then flip him to Texas for Josh Hamilton.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

I'd trade Skyline, LaRosa's, and Montgomery Inn to Texas for Josh Hamilton
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    Fogg, Freel, Roenicke, and Stubbs for Holliday. Then sign him to a 6 year, $8 Million extension. And then flip him to Texas for Josh Hamilton.
    And exactly what value do those 4 have to the Rockies?

Start off with Bailey, use Stubbs as a throw in, and see what else it takes to get Holliday.

Although we have a snowball's chance in Hell to get Matt Holliday, regardless of who we send them.

It's worth seeing what the Rockies price is for him. With Dunn and Junior likely gone after this year Walt will need a power outfielder and the free agent market for outfielder in 2008 looks pretty barren.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

For the money, I'd just assume keep Dunn around.

It's going to be a wash money wise, especially after next year, and you don't lose any prospects.

What it would take to trade for Holliday+Dunn > Holliday.

Plus, after this season, Holliday would be eligable to demand a trade. Then you're not only out Holliday, but whatever you gave up to get him.
    Last edited by Raisor; 05-15-2008 at 10:37 PM.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Rosenthal notes that the Rockies are already ten games back...
    They're 15-25 after 40 games, which is not good, but last year they were 17-25, 8 games out, and in last place after 42 games. Should they win two and the Dbacks lose two, they'll be exactly where they were last year at the same time. Sure, teams don't routinely make comebacks like that one did, but I think it's premature to write them off, which is what is implied.

Turn Off Ads?