Turn Off Ads?

Thread: And now your daily update on Bats who should be Reds ...

And now your daily update on Bats who should be Reds ...

From Yahoo Fantasy Sports

Just in case you were wondering how Homer Bailey felt about pitching for the Louisville Bats, here's a short, well-crafted update from the Dayton Daily News' Marc Katz:

Bailey, 22, expected not only to make the Reds, but to be in the rotation. Instead, he ended up in Louisville. He accepted the assignment, but does not like to talk about it.

Asked Tuesday if he had learned anything pitching in Louisville, Bailey said "no" and walked away.

Perhaps Bailey learned something against Richmond last Saturday, when he gave up 11 hits and six earned runs in 4.1 innings. He struck out only one batter, and allowed a first inning home run to Brandon Jones. Bailey takes the hill today against Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. Matt Belisle (1-3, 7.45 ERA, 1.91 WHIP) starts for Cincinnati today against the Marlins.

And what's Jay Bruce up to?

Check yesterday's box score. He went 3-for-3 with a double, a triple, and his eighth home run of the season. Bruce also walked twice. He's now hitting .366/.398/.662, and he's stolen seven bases.

Other than Brandon Phillips, is there anyone in Cincinnati's lineup who could reasonably put up those numbers against Triple-A pitching in 150+ plate appearances? It's debatable.

As we've mentioned before, both Bruce and Bailey are already in the Yahoo! player pool. Bailey is there because he pitched in the majors last season, and Bruce is there because we ranked him rather high prior to spring training. Bruce is the better add, and we don't think it's especially close.

This sort of ridiculousness is pretty irritating to those of us who've invested in Bruce:

He's hitting .611 over his last 10 games, raising his average to .366, tops in the International League.

If the Reds had a spot, it sounds like he'd be up already.

If the Reds had a spot?

You mean like, say, centerfield, which is currently occupied by Corey Patterson and his .282 OBP? (Yup, that's right. The Reds' leadoff hitter fails to clog the basepaths reach base in 72 percent of his plate appearances). We'll say it again, and not for the first time here: Jay Bruce needs to be on someone's roster in mixed leagues. Even if your outfield is loaded, he's a valuable trade chip.

Bailey, however, is likely to be more of a spot-starter in mixed leagues. His walks are down so far this year -- he has 14 in 50.2 innings, versus 32 in 67.1 innings at Louisville last season -- which is especially encouraging when you consider that he hasn't learned anything. But the 22-year-old's K-rate (7.1 strikeouts per nine innings) isn't quite where we hoped it would be after his brilliant 2006 season at Double-A (7-1, 1.59 ERA, 10.2 K/9). Kershaw is the minor league pitcher you should be more excited about.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: And now your daily update on Bats who should be Reds ...

Other than Brandon Phillips, is there anyone in Cincinnati's lineup who could reasonably put up those numbers against Triple-A pitching in 150+ plate appearances? It's debatable.
    Ridiculous. What, do only lefties pitch in AAA? Dunn, EE, and Votto all stand significantly better chances of approaching a 1.000+ OPS at AAA than Brandon Phillips.

So about that quote from Bailey... I root for the guy but man that is not something you like to hear. On the positive side everything I've read about Jay Bruce seems to suggest he is a great guy, a "face of the franchise" type (and I don't just mean his talent).

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    So about that quote from Bailey... I root for the guy but man that is not something you like to hear.
    Agreed, although it wouldn't surprise me if that quote was taken out of context.

I just think Homer doesn't like talking to media types. Trent is about the only media person I've seen him talk to. It's really no big deal to me. Some people don't mind it, others do.

Bruce still has things to work on, but keeps an eye on Reds
    The former Dragons outfielder, Bailey and Janish are taking care of business with Bats.

By Marc Katz

Staff Writer

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — He checks the Reds scores and batting averages every day.

He talks with pal and Reds' first baseman Joey Votto every day.

He dreams of playing for the Reds. Every day.

And yet, when asked how things were going for him with the Class AAA Louisville Bats, 21-year-old outfielder Jay Bruce flashed a big smile and said, "Awesome. I can't complain."

No one with the Bats can complain, either. Bruce, who was minor-league baseball's 2007 player of the year after hitting .325 at Class A Sarasota, .333 at Class AA Chattanooga and finishing with a .305 flourish at Louisville, earned a look by the Reds at spring training. Ultimately, he was shipped to Louisville for a little more experience.

He is here with nine other players who made stops with the Class A Dayton Dragons — including pitcher Homer Bailey, who pitched briefly with the Reds last season. Shortstop Paul Janish will join the Reds today after Jeff Keppinger's injury Tuesday.

For guys so close, it isn't easy to accept a minor-league assignment.

"If I come down here and don't accept it, I do terrible and don't get called up anytime soon," Bruce said Tuesday, May 13. "I keep up with the Reds. But no matter what goes on there, I have to take care of my business."

He has had one minor slump, going 0-for-11 in three games at Richmond at the beginning of the month. It lowered his batting average from .316 to .284.

"I just didn't like playing in Richmond," Bruce said. "I wasn't comfortable there. Things like that happen.

"Right now, things are falling my way (an eight-game hitting streak, .382)."

He quickly adds he isn't perfect.

"I'm still striking out more than my share (34 times in 138 at-bats)."

Bruce is the most scrutinized of the Reds' minor-leaguers, especially since the big club is off to a stumbling start and the team's outfielders have not produced as expected.

Louisville's manager Rick Sweet cautions that Bruce is not yet a finished product.

"Jay Bruce still makes mistakes," Sweet said. "He came down here with a great attitude, and he has worked very hard. He is young and has a long (major-league) future ahead of him."

Bailey, too, has worked hard, although his last outing, Saturday against Richmond, did not go so well (4 1/3 innings, 11 hits, six earned runs, two walks, one strikeout).

Bailey, 22, expected not only to make the Reds, but to be in the rotation. Instead, he ended up in Louisville. He accepted the assignment, but does not like to talk about it.

Asked Tuesday if he had learned anything pitching in Louisville, Bailey said "no" and walked away.

Reds minor-league pitching coordinator Mack Jenkins portrayed a more amicable Bailey.

"He's one of the guys," Jenkins said. "He's rank and file. He's a player, without question.

"He has the package to do it, and he's getting close to the point where guys of his talent should be getting there (to the majors)."

Janish, 25, was moving nearly as quickly through the Reds organization as Bruce and Bailey until he slumped to .221 in his first try with the Bats midway through last season.

"I just got into a funk and couldn't get out of it," Janish said. "In the off-season, I went back to school (Rice University) and got my mind off baseball for three months. I wanted to make the (40-man) roster, and I did. I knew, reasonably, I had no chance of making the Reds in spring training, but I got a chance to play, and I just feel good this year."

He's hitting .289 and playing an exceptional shortstop.

"We have a good team here (23-16 before Tuesday's game), and a good clubhouse dynamic. I'm having fun, too."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...408spbats.html

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Sounds like a sarcastic Homer Bailey answer. I wonder what his response would have been to a question phrased like "What have you learned in AAA this year"?

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Ridiculous. What, do only lefties pitch in AAA? Dunn, EE, and Votto all stand significantly better chances of approaching a 1.000+ OPS at AAA than Brandon Phillips.
    I agree with you. Dunn, EE, and Votto all proved themselves in AAA. They are fine MLB players. There is a reason why most AAA pitchers are still in AAA. It is not to believe that most of our MLB hitters would be doing great if they played in AAA.

Bats who should be Reds...taking the thread title I'd say

Of course Jay Bruce #1

Andy Phillips...move Hatteberg already and promote Phillips to the reserve role. Then promote Tonys Gutierrez to Louisville. And why do the Reds keep Barker, a total non prospect around?

Trade Josh Fogg by the deadline (Colorado wants him - do a PTBNL based on his performance), Justin Lehr could do the same job since it would be hard to be much worse.

Bill Bray could be moved as part of a package with Jon Adkins sliding up. Adkins isn't young but he's not ancient either and likely would be as or more effective than Bill has been. Bray's upside may attract another team especially in a package deal.

It's time to say enough Matt Belisle. I've been a defender but he's not improving his game. Beginning to look like he'll always be too hittable despite his stuff. Trade him, cut him, get lefty Matt Maloney up to see what he can do now that he's getting back on his game.

Finally, look for Gary Majewski back pretty soon if he continues to pitch like he has lately. Not too happy about that, really, since Maj's ceiling is as an average middle reliever.

As for Homer I let him continue at Louisville for most of the season. I still believe in his arm but that's why I don't want to push him. Until he begins to show consistent dominance again - and I think that will happen, I leave him where he is.

My problem with Bailey is he seems really immature. Let him grow up before he comes up with the big boys. He acts like he's already arrived.

Turn Off Ads?