Thread: Pick Em 7 - First Year Player Draft, 2008

Re: Pick Em 7 - First Year Player Draft, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Are Tim and Gordon related?
    No.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I don't feel comfortable enough to pick, but I think that if Crow is there, he's a Red. Put me squarely in the group who would rather take a bat in the first round unless there's a flawless arm just sitting there.

A guy like Crow strikes me a siren song. Though I'd like to learn more about his mechanics. I know many felt the same way about Lincecum, but upon in depth analysis, his mechanics are quite sound -- just unusual.
    Ah, c'mon RMR, go out on a limb. I plainly said in post 1 you could change your order as you see fit. The draft is dynamic, and so your picks should be the same. its more than fair to change them, this far out still
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Okay, I admit I slacked on keeping this at the forefront.. so participation has been sparse. But with draft day on the horizon, and draft talk heating up, lets see if we all can't get our picks in, 1 day out from the draft.

1. Rays - Buster Posey - C
    2. Pirates - Pedro Alvarez - 3B
    3. Royals - Eric Hosmer - 1B
    4. Orioles - Tim Beckham - SS
    5. Giants - Justin Smoak - 1B
    6. Marlins - Brian Matusz - LHP
    7. Reds - Gordan Beckham - SS

Hard one to rank, due to the volatility or the top talents and rumors swirling about what teams might do. But, I'd say thats pretty solid.

There is an outside chance the Marlins go with Skipworth, which would make the choice between Matusz and Beckham a tough one. I really don't buy the Lawrie rumors right now.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

1. Rays - Tim Beckham - SS
    3. Royals - Buster Posey - C
    4. Orioles - Brian Matusz - LHP
    5. Giants - Justin Smoak - 1B
    6. Marlins - Eric Hosmer - 1B
    7. Reds - Aaron Crow RHP

Rays -- Posey (Advanced catchers like this too rare to pass up)
    Pirates -- Alvarez (Injury may affect contract, but Bucs seem wedded)
    Royals -- T. Beckham (One of the top three guys, can't pass up)
    Orioles -- Matusz or Smoak. Key pick for Reds. (I say Matusz, to replace Bedard)
    Giants -- Hosmer (Can afford Boras guy, tremendous ability; or Smoak)
    Marlins -- Crow (Need to stress pitching and d; will take Matusz if O's pass on him)
    Reds -- Yonder Alonso (Walt looking for next Pujois; Matusz if available)
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-04-2008 at 04:42 PM.

So it's more fun to guess now....

1. Rays -- Alvarez
    2. Buccos -- Smoak (going out on a limb here)
    3. KC -- T. Beckham
    4. Balt -- G. Beckham
    5. SF -- Posey
    6. FLA -- Hosmer
    7. Reds -- Matusz
    Well, I appear to have been wrong in the top selections....revised guess, based on the usual sources...

1. TB -- Posey (I think the GM overrules the scouting department -- a very poor move politically, I'd say, especially in an organization that has drafted very well at the top)

2. PITT -- Alvarez

3. KC -- Hosmer

4. Balt -- T. Beckham

5. SF -- Smoak

6. FLA -- Alonso, their home boy

7. Reds -- Matusz (just like I said before)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Rays -- Posey (Advanced catchers like this too rare to pass up)
    Pirates -- Alvarez (Injury may affect contract, but Bucs seem wedded)
    Royals -- T. Beckham (One of the top three guys, can't pass up)
    Orioles -- Matusz or Smoak. Key pick for Reds. (I say Matusz, to replace Bedard)
    Giants -- Hosmer (Can afford Boras guy, tremendous ability; or Smoak)
    Marlins -- Crow (Need to stress pitching and d; will take Matusz if O's pass on him)
    Reds -- Yonder Alonso (Walt looking for next Pujois; Matusz if available)
    KC has been linked to nothing but Hosmer from everything I've read, so interesting scenario. I also think there is a shot we could land Alonso, so I like you going out on that limb. I'm not sure the Giants get the shot at Hosmer, or if they'd want too - I think they're looking for someone to make a more immediete impact like Lincecum.

Thanks for adding your participation. While I dont feel the same way about a few things, I can defenitely see quite a few of the players landing where they are. Solid guess, we'll see tomorrow.

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Well, I appear to have been wrong in the top selections....revised guess, based on the usual sources...

1. TB -- Posey (I think the GM overrules the scouting department -- a very poor move politically, I'd say, especially in an organization that has drafted very well at the top)

2. PITT -- Alvarez

3. KC -- Hosmer

4. Balt -- T. Beckham

5. SF -- Smoak

6. FLA -- Alonso, their home boy

7. Reds -- Matusz (just like I said before)
    Another great guess, I can defenitely see the draft order falling as it does in your scenario tomorrow. Very plausable draft order, and agree there is that outside shot of Matusz. The only small reach I see is Alonso at 6. I think FL has been linked heavily to Skipworth, Matusz, and Crow - but I do like the "backyard" angle on your reasoning so I can't discount it completely.

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    KC has been linked to nothing but Hosmer from everything I've read, so interesting scenario. I also think there is a shot we could land Alonso, so I like you going out on that limb. I'm not sure the Giants get the shot at Hosmer, or if they'd want too - I think they're looking for someone to make a more immediete impact like Lincecum.

Thanks for adding your participation. While I dont feel the same way about a few things, I can defenitely see quite a few of the players landing where they are. Solid guess, we'll see tomorrow.
    I'm thinking Reds order of preference is Posey, Matusz, Alonso, G.Beckham, Lawrie. But maybe switch Alonso and G. Beckham.

Don't know why KC would take a Boras guy at 3 with Tim Beckham still available.

Yeah, not saying they wouldn't take Beckham, but by all indications they like Hosmer's bat a ton. I don't think Dayton Moore is worried about a Boras Client. See Hochevar. Given that, I could still possibly see them picking Beckham would he fall to them.

-Hunter S. Thompson

1.) Rays - Posey - Tampa feels they are close, so no HS's this time.
    2.) Pitt. -T. Beckham - Not talking up Beckham, so it's Beckham.
    3.) K.C. - Matusz - Pitching has been all Moore been scrounging since day 1.
    4.) O's - Alvarez - Baltimore can't pass on a potential MOTO bat and at a semi-premium position.
    5.) S.F. - Alonso - S.F. Intrigued with MOTO Bat who is (Their M.O) nearly ready. Should also sign for less than Smoak & Hosmer.
    6.) Fla. - G. Beckham - With the anticipation of Ramirez moving to 3rd or CF eventually.
    7.) Reds - Smoak - Polished Switch Hitting Power who is as ready as anyone in the draft. Mostly a case of BPA (if your not a big believer in Crow).

Just trying to see it a little differently. Not necc. what I would normally predict but it's different and feasible IMO.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I'm thinking Reds order of preference is Posey, Matusz, Alonso, G.Beckham, Lawrie. But maybe switch Alonso and G. Beckham.

Don't know why KC would take a Boras guy at 3 with Tim Beckham still available.
    KC has a great track record with Boras players. If anyone is going for a Boras player it would be them.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

1. Rays - Buster Posey - C
    3. Royals - Tim Beckham - SS
    4. Orioles - Eric Hosmer - 1B
    5. Giants - Alonso - 1B
    6. Marlins - Smoak -1B
    7. Reds - Matusz - RHP

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Bottom line for me is I wouldn't have a problem with the Reds picking any of the top 10 guys...Beckhams, Smoak, Alvarez, Hosmer, Alonso, Matusz, Posey, Crow (reluctantly) and I could even find good in picking Lawrie. I would like to stay away from Kelly though.

Quote Originally Posted by Az. Reds Fan View Post
    Bottom line for me is I wouldn't have a problem with the Reds picking any of the top 10 guys...Beckhams, Smoak, Alvarez, Hosmer, Alonso, Matusz, Posey, Crow (reluctantly) and I could even find good in picking Lawrie. I would like to stay away from Kelly though.

I think a majority of us can agree on that. But care to venture a guess as to how the first 7 are going to land?

-Hunter S. Thompson

Turn Off Ads?