Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Lance Berkman - triple crown possibility?

  1. #1
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Lance Berkman - triple crown possibility?

    Has anyone noticed the unbelievable season Lance Berkman is having right now? After another huge game today in which he singled, homered, and walked, he's now batting a robust .391/.472/.808 - 1.280 OPS through 151 atbats. He's got a current 14-game hitting streak and is 30 for his last 54. He's got an eye-popping 32 extra-base hits in 151 atbats and has a 1.252 OPS vs RHP and 1.300 OPS vs LHP. Here is where he ranks in some of the major offensive categories:

    -2nd in BA (.391)
    -1st in RBI (43)
    -8th in stolen bases (7)
    -1st in SLG (.808)
    -1st in homeruns (15)
    -1st in runs (45)
    -3rd in OBP (.472)
    -1st in OPS (1.280)

    He's first in two of the three triple crown categories (homeruns and RBI) and only trails Chipper Jones (.418 BA) in batting average.

    Right now Berkman is carrying the Astros on his back. If the season ended today he would have to be the NL MVP IMO. It's been a long time since I've seen a hitter go through a hot streak like this (well, except for Jay Bruce in Louisville). This guy is just an amazing hitter and a future Hall of Famer no doubt.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    6,450

    Re: Lance Berkman - triple crown possibility?

    right now it looks like he should be a HOFer, but will the sports writers and their counting stats agree?
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  4. #3
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,584

    Re: Lance Berkman - triple crown possibility?

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    right now it looks like he should be a HOFer, but will the sports writers and their counting stats agree?
    Berkman is well on his way to becoming one of the best switch hitters ever. They will absolutely agree.

    If Berkman were to retire today, he would have the highest OPS of any switch hitter in the history of the game with at least 4000 at bats.
    Last edited by dougdirt; 05-16-2008 at 01:33 AM.

  5. #4
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Lance Berkman - triple crown possibility?

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    right now it looks like he should be a HOFer, but will the sports writers and their counting stats agree?
    Folks who still go by counting stats have to love Berkman too. He's a career .303 hitter and five (and on his way to six) 100+ RBI seasons, including three 125+ RBI seasons. He didn't register his first 500+ atbat season until he was 25-years old, so he most likely won't reach the 3,000 hit mark and may not hit 500+ homeruns (though he has a chance) but he's still a sure-fire Hall of Famer in my book. He currently has the 12th best OPS of all-time among hitters with at least 3,000 plate appearances and the highest OPS for a switch-hitter, ranking just ahead of Mickey Mantle (.977).

  6. #5
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Lance Berkman - triple crown possibility?

    BTW, can anyone guess who has the 66th highest OPS in major league history with a minimum of 3,000 PA's?

  7. #6
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,943

    Re: Lance Berkman - triple crown possibility?

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    BTW, can anyone guess who has the 66th highest OPS in major league history with a minimum of 3,000 PA's?
    Tony Womack?

  8. #7
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Lance Berkman - triple crown possibility?

    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    Tony Womack?
    I said 66th....not 10,666.

    But the actual answer is Adam Dunn. Dunner has the 66th highest OPS of all-time and the 22nd highest OPS among active players.

  9. #8
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,298

    Re: Lance Berkman - triple crown possibility?

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    right now it looks like he should be a HOFer, but will the sports writers and their counting stats agree?
    Ugh.

  10. #9
    Big Red Machine RedsBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Out Wayne
    Posts
    22,888

    Re: Lance Berkman - triple crown possibility?

    Berkman is a terrific hitter, but, as On BaseMachine noted, he didn't have his first 500 at bat season until age 25. That relatively late start could ultimately hurt him in the counting stats department, as he's now age 32.
    Bill James Hall of Fame Monitor gives Berkman a score of 90.5, just below the 100 score of the average member of the Hall of Fame, but Berkman obviously has time to pad that total.
    Of the ten most similar hitters to Berkman in baseball history, Hack Wilson is the only one presently in the Hall of Fame, but that list includes Albert Pujols and David Ortiz, neither of whom is yet eligible (Pujols is a virtual lock for induction). Hitters most similar to Berkman at his present age also include Larry Walker, Fred McGriff and Albert Belle, none of whom are not yet in the HOF but all of whom have decent HOF credentials.
    If Berkamn could somehow arrange to play against the Reds in all of his games he could be a certain future member of the HOF.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

  11. #10
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Lance Berkman - triple crown possibility?

    Triple Crown?

    I didn't see Berkman run in The Derby...

  12. #11
    Playoffs Cyclone792's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,271

    Re: Lance Berkman - triple crown possibility?

    The biggest key for Berkman will be not falling off the cliff as he gets up into his mid 30s. If he can combined a nice season this year another additional three or four typical Lance Berkman seasons, then he'll likely be a Hall of Famer without too much question. But if he just goes into a tailspin in two years, though, it could be rough.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

    Put an end to the Lost Decade.

  13. #12
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Lance Berkman - triple crown possibility?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    The biggest key for Berkman will be not falling off the cliff as he gets up into his mid 30s. If he can combined a nice season this year another additional three or four typical Lance Berkman seasons, then he'll likely be a Hall of Famer without too much question. But if he just goes into a tailspin in two years, though, it could be rough.
    At least he's bought his body a couple more years by already moving to 1B.

    Adam Dunn.... paging Adam Dunn.... your spot @ 1B is ready for you....

  14. #13
    SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    In the Ether
    Posts
    5,401

    Re: Lance Berkman - triple crown possibility?

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Triple Crown?

    I didn't see Berkman run in The Derby...
    Any man who can even stay in the race against horses gets my respect...let alone win the three big ones.

    "Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,843

    Re: Lance Berkman - triple crown possibility?

    Well, we know 1 thing for sure. He'll help his triple crown cause everytime the Astros play the Reds.

  16. #15
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    6,450

    Re: Lance Berkman - triple crown possibility?

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Berkman is a terrific hitter, but, as On BaseMachine noted, he didn't have his first 500 at bat season until age 25. That relatively late start could ultimately hurt him in the counting stats department, as he's now age 32.
    Bill James Hall of Fame Monitor gives Berkman a score of 90.5, just below the 100 score of the average member of the Hall of Fame, but Berkman obviously has time to pad that total.
    Of the ten most similar hitters to Berkman in baseball history, Hack Wilson is the only one presently in the Hall of Fame, but that list includes Albert Pujols and David Ortiz, neither of whom is yet eligible (Pujols is a virtual lock for induction). Hitters most similar to Berkman at his present age also include Larry Walker, Fred McGriff and Albert Belle, none of whom are not yet in the HOF but all of whom have decent HOF credentials.
    If Berkamn could somehow arrange to play against the Reds in all of his games he could be a certain future member of the HOF.
    what he said. I mention sports writers and counting stats and the counter-argument I get is OPS? Berkman doesn't even have 300 home runs yet...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25