Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jay Bruce #1 on BA Hotsheet and Francisco in the team photo

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Jay Bruce #1 on BA Hotsheet and Francisco in the team photo

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...08/266116.html

Team: Triple-A Louisville (International)
    Why He's Here: .632/.682/1.421 (12-for-19), 4 2B, 1 3B, 3 HR, 9 RBIs, 7 R, 3 BB, 2 SO
    The Scoop: Bruce was so good this week that superlatives alone cannot do him justice. (A 2.103 OPS—are you kidding?) In last week's Hot Sheet, we speculated that Bruce was just getting started, because he had reached base in 12 of his last 19 plate appearances. But even we could not have been prepared for this type of offensive onslaught.

Bruce is hitting as well now as he has at any point in his pro career. He finished a single shy of the cycle on Wednesday, though in an encouraging sign, he did draw two unintentional walks in the game. He's batting .366/.398/.662 overall and has hits in nine of his last 10. And for such a young lefty batter, he hangs in against his own side, batting .383/.380/.660 in 47 at-bats.

For a man who owns a .566 career slugging percentage at the Triple-A level (at ages 20 and 21, no less), Bruce needs only to refine his batting eye (seven unintentional walks in 39 games) to get that first call-up to Cincinnati.

---------------------------------------------------

High Class A Sarasota's Juan Francisco (Reds) continues to light up opposing pitchers. The 20-year-old third baseman went 10-for-18 this week with two doubles and two home runs and six RBIs. In May he's batting .360/.373/.600

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jay Bruce #1 on BA Hotsheet and Francisco in the team photo

You probably think you're cool because you beat me by five seconds... don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    You probably think you're cool because you beat me by five seconds... don't you?
    You know it

Don't forget to flood BA with plenty of Reds questions. I sent about 10 in.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Don't forget to flood BA with plenty of Reds questions. I sent about 10 in.
    I think I have sent in 5....

Do they have splits on Francisco's stats anywhere? I'm curious if he's hitting more strongly from the left or right side.

Hey Doug, with Shaun Cumberland's success the second half of last year after the trade, and his continuance of that success so far this year, can he been seen as a legit prospect now?

Cumberland is a legit prospect, although one in the 20-30 range still. 23 year olds in AA with an OPS over .900 with a strong showing of plate discipline, average and power.... yeah, that makes anyone a legit prospect.

Also got one of my questions answered at BA....

Q: Jay Bruce from Louisville asks:
    How much longer can it be until I finally start getting at bats over Corey Patterson?

A:
    Matt Eddy: The ability to drive the ball is most crucial to Bruce's future success (and he's shown that), but the Reds want to make sure he's got a firm grasp of the strike zone before setting him loose against NL pitchers.

Matt Eddy: While we don't have data on how many bad pitches Bruce has chased this year, we do know that he's drawn seven unintentional walks in 39 games this year. I'm not trying to paint this as a concern—just pointing out the Reds' line of thinking.
    Last edited by dougdirt; 05-16-2008 at 03:47 PM.

Here's another Reds related question:

Q: Chris from Gaylord, MI asks:
    With so many great players coming through the minors. When do you see the reds contending? When will we finally see Bruce and Bailey?

A: Matt Eddy: Playing in the NL Central, the Reds could conceivably catch lightning in a bottle and contend in any season. And you can't write them off this year, either. Dunn won't slug .413 all year, and Bruce should give them a boost when he gets called up.

Matt Eddy: For the Reds, the stars seem to be aligning for 2010. By that time, Cueto, Volquez, Bruce, Votto and Bailey—barring injury to any of them—will all have one to two seasons of experience. And Dunn and Griffey will have been traded for younger players. Harang will be exiting his theoretical peak, but then his career arc has been so unconventional that it's anybody's guess what he'll do.

Love seeing Francisco in the Hot Sheet. I know he is OBP challenged, but I think we tend to underrate him on this board. Fact is, he is hitting very well at High A ball and is only 20. Has excellent power and a great throwing arm.

Q: Santino from Cincy asks:
    Matt - Francisco is off to a good start. It's a bit weird because his strikeout ratio is down a bit down this year, but the walks aren't up at all. Out of Francisco, Frazier, Waring (and maybe even Valakia), who do you think is the Red's best option at third long term?
    A:

Matt Eddy: Francisco is very intriguing, and he's the guy I'd go with in that group. He's a switch-hitting third baseman with power from both sides of the plate (he led the MWL in HR last season), but you do have to be a little concerned about his strike-zone discipline. A scout recently said that he loves Francisco's hitting hands and bat actions, but wonders if his swing-at-the-first-pitch approach would hinder him as he moves up the ladder.

I want to note that I have never seen Francisco bat both ways. Anyone have Dragons season tickets? I was pretty sure he gave up switch hitting..... Matt Eddy doesn't seem to sure.

I swear I saw him switch-hit for Dayton last year, but I might be wrong.

Here is one of my questions:

Q: Brandon from Charleston, WV asks:
    Chris Valaika - the next Michael Young? Is that a fair comparison? Same college, similar hitters, and both lack solid range at SS?

A: Matt Eddy: Not the worst comp in the world, but Young is and was much more athletic. And while he's not an ideal shortstop, Young is playable at the major league level. Valaika is a hitting machine, but he'll probably break into the big leagues as a second baseman, like Young did.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Do they have splits on Francisco's stats anywhere? I'm curious if he's hitting more strongly from the left or right side.
    Here you go.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=464433

And another Reds related question:

Q: Ron from Mobile AL asks:
    Do you guys really think the only reason Bruce is still in AAA because of his walk total? Or is it more likely that it is because of the glut of LH OF on the Reds roster? I just cant see Bruce getting everyday starts over Dunn or Griffey, and Bakers love fest with Corey Patterson has many Reds fans pretty disgruntled. If you were Walt Jockety ... what would you do?

A: Matt Eddy: You have a point in that being a powerful lefty bat is probably working against Bruce right now because of the presence of Dunn, Griffey and Votto (and others).

Matt Eddy: Griffey really can't hit his 600th homer soon enough, can he? Once he does, the Reds have to strongly consider trading him. And Dunn, too, if they can find the right trading partner. If not, let him walk and take the draft picks. Either way, Bruce could be in Cincy by June.

Turn Off Ads?